Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Mockingjay Part 2 trailer/logo on Insurgent

Author Topic: Mockingjay Part 2 trailer/logo on Insurgent
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-18-2015 06:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the never ending insanity over trailer versions and keys, here's something to watch out for with Insurgent. Lionsgate sent a teaser for Mockingjay part 2 (or logo reveal that is 53 seconds long).

First of all, this will land in the Teaser section of your content, rather than under trailers. Same for the new Transporter teaser which is supposed to play with The Gunman.

The Mockingjay teaser comes in six different flavors, and has a different set of keys for each. The versions are labeled "ENC", "GEN ENC", and "RD" (RealD). I don't know the difference between "GEN ENC" and "ENC". Just be sure to make sure you're ingesting the correct KDMs.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2015 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or my better solution is to ignore the whole thing, considering it's nothing but a "logo reveal" teaser, which just announces that the movie's coming out, which all the fans know about anyway.

I realize "chain" theaters don't always have the "ignore" option available.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2015 07:44 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ENC might stand for enclosed. GEN for general audiences. Only the scope ENC was on the distribution drive I got. But got a whole bunch of keys.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2015 10:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ENC stands for Encrypted.

Maybe the plain "ENC" one has Real-D + Imax, and RD has Real D only...?

I guess the one thing we can be sure of is that Dolby 3D won't be mentioned anywhere, as usual.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 04:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless Dolby starts paying the studios, they will not get their banners advertized on movie posters and trailers I'm afraid.

Nowadays even trailers are instruments for product placements, I've seen an increased number of movie trailers advertizing stuff like AMC Prime...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2015 08:28 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Unless Dolby starts paying the studios, they will not get their banners advertized on movie posters and trailers
I always thought it was the other way around- - that the studios had to
pay Dolby to put their (Dolby's) logo in their trailers and on posters.

I seem to recall someone who was in the 'poster advertising business'
explaining this to me some years ago.

Dolby's entire early business model was based on "licensing"

(FYI> An excellent book on the creation and inner workings of the Dolby
Corporation is "The Dolby Era: Film Sound In Contemporary Hollywood"
It was written over 10 years ago, but since it focuses on more about
how Dolby changed the entire landscape of film sound in Hollywood,
than on specific technologies (although they are mentioned) the info
presented in the book is not outdated and it's a fascinating read)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 11:12 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I always thought it was the other way around- - that the studios had to
pay Dolby to put their (Dolby's) logo in their trailers and on posters.

Actually, it's still that way today. You're free to publish content in most of the Dolby formats out there, but to use their logo on your advertising, you need to have a proper license.

I'm rather sure if it comes to trailers and movie posters, it's not like that anymore. RealD and IMAX only appear on those posters and trailers in big bold letters, because there has to be some kind of a special deal, most likely in favor of the studios.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure but I can't imagine Dolby letting their technology be used "free." Or am I wrong on that?

I can guarantee you though that the only way a logo of any type goes on a poster is if it's paid for, nothing to do with licensing of the software or technology. It's two different departments.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 08:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think it's pointless to advertize 3D formats, especially with the decline of 3D. Most moviegoers go to the same theatre most of the time, or at least the same circuit. Even if they are a fan of 3D, it seems unlikely they will know the difference between the formats. And even more unlikely they will seek out one format over the other.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-19-2015 10:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably true....they should just say "Available In 3-D".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: