Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Creating Double Features/Marathons on Cinedigm TCC

Author Topic: Creating Double Features/Marathons on Cinedigm TCC
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-14-2015 07:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to create a double feature/marathon on the Cinedigm TCC. Normally I just create separate titles for each movie and manually schedule them, but I'm wondering if there is a way to create a playlist with multiple features. Would this involve creating a new template with two feature sections?

Also, does anyone have a link to Cinedigm's YouTube channel where they have some how to videos?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-15-2015 01:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...I know how to create double/triple features in the TCC. Were you just taking a poll? [Razz]

It is not intuitive at all and I've found that it normally does not serve your purpose once it is all integrated into the POS system's schedule.

1) create your template for the double feature (or whatever type marathon you are desiring). Based on past conversations here, I'm sure you are familiar with that process and how to finesse the template to your desired show with as many features/intermissions you need.

2) Title map the first movie in the multi-feature to the marathon title, Title map the other features normally. (It is probably possible to title map the first feature normally too but often that title will be the oldest of the marathon so it won't matter much that you map it to the marathon and you can always remap it later, if need be.

2) Presuming that you are selling the ticket as a single marathon ticket, have the POS system estimate the show length based on the entire length of the marathon using your special template.

3) Go to Schedule Viewer and open up the Marathon show (double-click on it). You should see your Marathon template partially filled out except for the 2nd Feature, 3rd Feature...etc.). On the right, you'll see the "Content" tab...click on it and it will open up. You can then drag/drop the desired 2nd and 3rd features into their proper places just like adding trailers/ads in their respective modules. Click save to exit out and your multi-feature extravaganza should be good-to-go.

What I've found is that while this feature sounds nice...if you plan to both sell Marathon tickets as well as individuals (particularly the last one which is normally the "new" movie) then it gets in the way. Furthermore, some people will buy the Marathon ticket and only want to see that last two or something like that. Knowing when to tell people each feature starts in a multi-feature show can be more tricky. You also have to watch out for show longer than 6-hours and the whole TLS re-syncing thing on any systems using Enigma Modules or series 1s in TLS mode. Since you are a Cinedigm system, I'll presume that this is all DCI compliant so that would include your series 1s, if any.

What has worked better for our customers is just to manually place each of the shows in the marathon with the first one titled as the Marathon so the POS system is cool with it all. You then will KNOW when each segment of the marathon begins and can plan your concession activity accordingly or tell people when to return to the auditorium. For those that want to tough it out...fill it up the intermission with trailers and such.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-15-2015 01:11 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. The last method you described is what I usually do for these things. I just wanted to see if there was a better way. Not long after I posted this, I found the instructions on the Cinedigm knowledge base site (I'll post the link when I'm at work tomorrow).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-15-2015 03:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forget which Marathon I tried using the "documented way" but I'm pretty sure the 6 hour thing was an issue...probably the Twilight Series. Realizing it was no benefit, none of our customers ever did it again since it really didn't benefit anything nor speed up the process of getting it set up.

As to posting a link...2 things...that is a password protected site so only those that could use the site's search engine could use a link to it. That document has a "Confidential" stamp on it so it should not be distributed to anyone not authorized.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-15-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of times I will create a marathon title and schedule it in a virtual auditorium so I can sell tickets on the POS system, but don't have to worry about it conflicting with manual entries on the TCC. It's worked fine to date, so I'll just stick with that method. Especially since when I try to add content via the "documented" method, it takes a very long time for each clip or change.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: