Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Form? (strange boot message on CP650) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Form? (strange boot message on CP650)
Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

-

/M.E.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-12-2015 07:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of ours does that during the boot process as well, but after a few seconds goes to the configured wake-up format and behaves normally thereafter.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 02:44 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one behaves exactly the same. After the "form" thing it boots up normally and does what it is supposed to do.
What bothers me is that this location is not on the Swedish mainland, it is on an Island in the middle of the Baltic sea [thumbsup]

/M.E.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2015 03:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My question is why the concern of the language that is displayed on the screen if the unit is operating normally after the boot process?

We just want it to operate as needed, that is the main goal to achieve.

Back of the unit should have a plate which country the unit is assembled.

These units are definitely used worldwide.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 05:17 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Form" spells exactly the same in both Swedish and English [Big Grin]

I´m not worried about language here. What I don´t want is a dead processor on an island half way to Russia next friday night.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-13-2015 08:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this occur only now after a period of operation without that issue? Was there a softwareupdate or other change?

- Carsten

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 09:44 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor has been sleeping for a year or so before I installed it yesterday. History unknown.
It was quite hard to communicate with (I used an older laptop with built in RS232) and disconnected several times for unknown reasons. It was running 2.3.4.4 on arrival. After install/tuning I upgraded it to 2.3.6.3 but the "form" thing didn´t go away.
And today it´s friday the 13th and I´m on the ferry bound for home [Eek!]
/M.E.

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 12:23 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A video of the boot up process might be the best way to try and see what is not working correctly. A set of logs from the CP650 might also be useful. If you can get those, you could send them to customersupport@dolby.com and we'll take a look.

Mike Renlund
Dolby Laboratories

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 12:39 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike.
This is a very remote site. But I will try to get the projectionist to hook up a computer and investigate through Teamviewer (or whatever). I guess the "event Log" is the place to look.
Btw: Renlund, that sounds like a name from my hoods.
/M.E.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-13-2015 01:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Magnus Eriksson
The processor has been sleeping for a year or so before I installed it yesterday. History unknown.
Interesting - exactly the same applies to the one of ours that does this!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-13-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have random disconnections on my PC, I reckon it's the combination windows/adaptor. Usually after a while the communication gets stable. I usually put some pink noise on for a few minutes before running an upgrade, to make sure it's stable.

Never seen the "form" thingy [Smile]

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2015 05:56 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that after sitting for so long, the super capacitor inside the unit has been drained. After that, the unit may be suffering some issue related to the drained super cap.

Most CP650s are used constantly and the super cap doesn't have the opportunity to drain, so this is something that I haven't encountered before.

Magnus, it is true that my family does come from Sweden and Finland. I haven't been back in many years...but love it there.

Mike Renlund
Dolby Laboratories

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Leo. For how long has your CP650 "forming" itself?
@Mike. You are welcome up North anytime [Smile]
/M.E.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-15-2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we've been using it. The machine was bought at one of the Hollywood lab liquidation auctions and installed in our smaller screen at the Egyptian in September last year. We only use it for optical film sound (analog and Dolby digital) - everything else goes through an AP20. I'd guess that the machine had been out of use for at least 3-4 months before installation, and it's displayed the "forms" at every boot since we started to use it. As noted above, it doesn't seem to have any other issue and has behaved completely normally after the boot process has completed.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2015 02:36 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it actually trying to tell you it is 'forming' this super capacitor mentioned above?

That's something I remember doing with flashguns back in the day.

Even after all these years the venerable CP650 is still giving up secrets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: