Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Editing TCC Show Templates?

Author Topic: Editing TCC Show Templates?
Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2015 10:59 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,
I need to make a slight change in our default show template and I'm having a hell of a time figuring this out. The manual we have doesn't even mention templates so that's out.

All I need to do is add about 30 seconds of black after the projector switches aspect ratios because sometimes they are still switching over when the first trailer of a playlist starts and the audio is playing without picture.

We're using the TCC Cinedigm LMS. I have created a completely new template to experiment with and it'll let me select "Is Default" but won't let me click "Is System." (What does Is System even mean??)

So then I went to edit the current default template because frak it and after saving the showtimes still don't show my changes.

Here's a picture of the LMS Template edit page: http://i.imgur.com/FsMhxPc.jpg

Apologies if I sound like a dolt but I am completely lost here.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2015 07:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First...who is responsible for the TCC for your site? Mucking with templates can have far reaching ramifications. I generally control the templates on the sites we support and make whatever changes the customer desires (and honestly, once they are happy with the progression of the show, the changes are almost never).

Making a change in a template does not call shows to be rebuilt. So if you change the template, you have to force the TCC to rebuild the shows to see the results. The easy way to do that is to change the credit offset time in Title mapping by a second...it will then look to its template to see how to build the show up.

"Is System" means that it is part of the system and YOU can't do anything to delete it. You don't have to use it as your default template but you can't delete it. Hence the "default" check box is something you can modify but the "Is System" box is not changeable. Note, if someone re-runs the configuration spreadsheet, the "Default Template" will likely be changed since that is part of every configuration spreadsheet. As such, none of our sites use the Default Template for anything. The Default for each site is one that I made for them.

As for adding blanks...it can definitely be tricky in the TCC. It is smart enough to NOT run a segment that just blanks. Otherwise, if you didn't put any trailers on the trailer segment there would be blanks/cues there on each show...however, if only blanks are part of the segment, it will just not use that segment. So you need to put a non "Black MOS" cpl in there with any blanks you need to pad it out. Remember, until the START_SHOW cue fires, the douser shouldn't be open nor the sound be active so having something with picture or sound in it shouldn't be an issue. You can also create your own content and, if you know what you are doing, load it onto the system as a marker but you will need to run the spreadsheet that defines it.

Again, configuring the system can be tricky but definitely doable but it really shouldn't be done by committee if you want uniform outcomes. I also suggest if you have the authorization to play with it to experiment on just one title and verify that you are getting the outcome you want before potentially wrecking havoc on your complex.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-11-2015 04:25 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two relatively easy ways to work around this without editing your show templates.

The best option would be to add 30 seconds of black to the front of your Early Pre-Show. If your system is set up like mine, the Early Pre-Show is where you place your ads. After the adds, you get the Cinedigm and DLP logos, then the trailers.

During playback, the play list runs a startup cue, then goes to the Early Pre-Show pack. If I place 30 seconds of black at the front of this pack, it will play before the first ad hits the screen.

The second option would be to edit the format cues on your servers if you know how. In this case, I would find the cue which changes your format, and insert a timer of 30000ms (30 seconds) after the call to change the format. Or you could enter a 30 second pause. You'll just need to repeat this on each of the cues that switch the format (DCI_XYZ_Flat, DCI_XYZ_Scope, 3D_FLAT_1998, 3D_Scope_2048, and so forth).

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-11-2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't like about putting blanks in on any of the active segments is that "what if no early ads are programmed?" The template falls apart until they are. Because without the ad(s), the blanks will also not be programmed.

Instead, I pull down an "intermission" segment and use our custom blanks that are not "is system" so they are treated like real content. Thus the "Intermission" segment becomes the blank start up that runs EVERY show no matter how ads/trailers are dropped in/out. And if you aren't savvy enough (yet) to be able to make your personal content part of the available content for templates, you can always put in another Cinedigm logo into the intermission as the first 4 seconds and then pad it out with blanks from there. You just need something other than Black MOS in the segment for it to always play.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-11-2015 05:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense if you frequently run content without using the early pre-show. We run ads on 100% of our public shows, so the pre-show pack is always attached. In the rare situation where we're running something without ads, I still attach an empty pre-show pack for the sake of consistency.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-11-2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes sense from a robust design standpoint. You are approaching it from you using it. I'm approaching it from anyone using it.

What would have made more sense (and I've put in a feature request to this effect) is to allow for blanks in the start segment itself since most everyone will need some amount of time to allow for a format change. Alternately, allow one to configure it in the options to specify the amount of time needed for a format change and let the TCC put the blanks in. Right now, it is a fixed 10-seconds for 2D and 15 seconds for 3D. Depending on your show, that either works or it doesn't. Also, depending on your projector, it works or it doesn't...for our NEC sites...that isn't nearly long enough to ensure the lens has moved and the lamp is on.

Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2015 07:04 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the responses!

This whole problem started about six months ago when our LMS crashed and we lost ALL of our content, including the Cinedigm logo, which, I believe, was its own section. We then rebuilt from scratch without it.

Justin, your system sounds similar to ours. We have our ads in an Early Pre-Show, then the trailers, then a Late Pre-Show for our theater logo and then the feature.

Steve, I will try the credit offset change when I go in tomorrow evening.

Thanks everyone!

Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It worked! Thanks guys.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: