Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Next generation IMAX sound system detailed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Next generation IMAX sound system detailed
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2014 01:01 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this over at home theater forums, not sure how true this is but here is the link Next Gen IMAX Sound System

I have been wondering where I should post this information, I looked at a few sites (blu-ray.com etc) and personally chose this site. This would be my first post. Certain information is purposely omitted.

I have personally seen the new IMAX sound system installed in a multiplex IMAX, (note: the theater is NOT a classic built GT/SR IMAX location), why and how I saw the sound system is irrelvant as I will not be giving away that information. Everyone who is familiar with the IMAX Digital multiplex (MPX for short) knows that there are three speakers behind the screen, two full range speakers in the each rear corner of the theater, and a subwoofer behind the screen. The new sound system is a 12 channel system.

Additions to the already existing IMAX set up include:

Two side speakers on the left and right side of the auditorium. The speaker will be held on a metal hanging stand, (the speaker will not be positioned on the wall), the speakers are about 1.5 foot X 1.75 foot in size. The speaker is customed built by IMAX and will have the IMAX logo in the middle on the bottom of the front. The grille in front of the speaker is made of metal mesh that will wrap around 1.45 inches on all four sides. You will be able to see the screws that hold the speakers in place. Four overhead speakers, each speaker is appox 2 foot X 2 foot and will be positioned flush with ceiling tiles on the roof. The front overhead speakers will have a slight curve/wrap to the front of the grille that helps it point towards the first 7-9 rows of the audience. The rear overhead speakers will also be approx 2 foot by 2 foot and will also have a slight curve (although less pronounced) pointed towards the rear 7 rows of the audience. Like the side speakers, there will be a metal mesh grille with the IMAX logo on the speaker.

Channel additions include:

OFL
OFR
ORL
OFR
VOG (Voice of God)
Side left
Sife right

Existing channels are:

SL
SC
SR
Surround LC
Surround RC
Subwoofer

I cannot yet confirm a few things:

1. Is the VOG overhead for all four speakers?
2. Are the OFL, OFR, ORL, ORR independent channels or one voice of god channel?
3. Are there any speaker additions behind the screen?
4. I cannot confirm if GT/SR locations will have larger customer built speakers to compensate for the larger/higher auditoriums. 5. Will GT/SR location have the speakers hanging down from the ceiling vs the in ceiling set up in a mulitplex.

If the new four overhead speakers are in fact one channel, it is posibble (more than likely) that there are addition screen speakers behind the screen. I cannot confirm either or.

The new sound system is open to all IMAX customers which include GT/SR and MPX customers.

The look to the set up is rather elegant and the customer will notice the speakers when they enter an IMAX auditorium.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-29-2014 03:00 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy if their existing sound systems sounded right

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-29-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably the most detailed description ever that doesn't give any actual information. Well, unless Imax fans actually salivate over whether you can see the screws holding the speaker grills in place and other useless details.

He could have done the whole thing in about 1 sentence, such as "They are adding side and ceiling channels, but I don't know if they're adding behind the screen channels."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-29-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the one planned that will cause ear bleed?

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is serious. ...1.45" wraparound on the grill. You will be able to see the screws!!!... etc. (The entire thing about the new side speakers should be a clue, IMO.)

C'mon, the guy has 1 post! He's a troll. Hanging on a metal stand, no doubt. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-31-2014 03:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Is this the one planned that will cause ear bleed?
The current system already does that. Have you seen a movie in IMAX recently? Most IMAX auditoriums have partnered with Bonfils Blood Center to provide tubes that connect directly to the ear to collect the blood caused by poorly tuned sound.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 08:28 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about this four months ago:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f14/t000258.html

Terrys quote shows the same speaker layout as Barcos Auro 11.1 system.

http://www.barco.com/~/media/Downloads/White%20papers/2011/Auro%2011-1%20-%20A%20new%20dimension%20in%20cinema%20sound.pd f?

Barco supplies their Alchemy servers/IMS to IMAX cinemas with the new LIP systems, because the Alchemy server currently is the only one capable to control Barcos LIPs and deliver 4k in HFR.

It would be natural to use Auro for IMAX as Barcos servers support it AND the format is compatible with all previous 5.1 IMAX locations without the need for a dedicated sound mix/format. They could upgrade slowly one by one without major disruptions.

Currently, IMAX digital theaters use DOREMI servers, which support Auro 3D decoding as well - thus it would be easy to upgrade the sound systems of existing IMAX theaters to 11.1 without going the expensive LIP route.

Another option would be to downmix/transcode Auro encoded 5.1/11.1 mixes to a standard LPCM DCI 16ch mix, so they would have all the 11.1 audio from the Auro audio mix, but not in the Auro technical encoding format. That way, previous IMAX locations could even further use their Doremis without LIP, but WITH the 11.1 speaker layout, just in case Dolby drops Auro support from the Doremi servers now that they own Doremi...

One thing is sure - IMAX needs to implement a higher level (err.., forgive the pun... higher channel count...) sound system as a competitive measure now that other chains advertise their own sound branding or Auro/Atmos.

BUT - If IMAX would implement their own 5.1+ sound system (be it channel or object based) - they would need to do their own multichannel sound mixes for all IMAX major releases. That is quite unlikely to happen, given the time constraints prior to world wide launch dates.

The studios themselves would not do another 5.1+ sound format just for IMAX - they are already complaining about the needed efforts to supply 5.1 + 7.1 + Auro + ATMOS + HI/VI...

I also doubt they would hand out the raw tracks of a feature sound mix close to release-time for IMAX to do their own multichannel mix. It doesn't work that way.

Doing a DMR or reframing for IMAX native AR is a piece of cake compared to a full soundmix for a proprietary 5.1+ sound system. And I doubt IMAX will base their new sound system on simple upmixing of 5.1 tracks only.

However, the studios would be happy to supply an Auro 11.1 mix for all conventional Auro 3D equipped theaters that would work in IMAX (be they 11.1 or 5.1 equipped) theaters as well. IMAX could then still do their usual boosts and tweaks on an otherwise finished 11.1 audio master mix.

All said, makes an awful lot of sense to me strategically and techwise...

One issue may be that IMAX will probably not want to have any co-branding with IMAX, that is, they probably do not want to see 'IMAX+Auro 3D' on screen or posters. But they could have a special deal with Barco about this, and I think Auro Technologies would like to have that increased market acceptance as well in the ongoing Auro<->Atmos fight, even if the deal potentially lacks regular branding obligations.

- Carsten

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2014 03:08 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, it looks like you were spot on with the Barco Auro/IMAX partnership (assuming that the information is true), it only makes sense that IMAX would go this route. Although I don't think the IMAX set up will be identical to a Auro set up.

I also firmly believe there is going to be a branding change for the IMAX laser/auro set up. There has to be some reason for existing IMAX venues to want to upgrade their equipment, from what I understand, a majority of revenue shared IMAX locations do not have to pay for their current set up (or not the full cost at least), IMAX could go the route whereas if a theater upgrades, IMAX will install the new projection/sound equipment and absorb the cost as long as there is a early renewal to their existing 10 year IMAX commitment. I think IMAX Ultra (just a guess) is the name for laser equipped venues.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 06:11 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the aspect of a proprietary sound mix is the key factor here - if IMAX want's to implement a new layout, they would never use it just through upmixing existing 5.1 or 7.1 mixes. That means, they need to have native mixes for the new sound system. From my knowledge of audio postproduction for cinema, it is not possible to do your own native multichannel soundmix during the regular postproduction phase. The studios on the other hand will not be able to do another IMAX proprietary sound mix in addition to existing widely used formats 5.1, 7.1, Auro 3D and ATMOS. So, somehow IMAX needs to attach to one of the existing formats - and Auro is the most likely candidate. Even if Auro is later transitioning to an optional object based format/MDA.

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-01-2014 08:41 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auro in its present form is a step backwards since it is a channel based system built on the limited 5.1 channel layout rather than a 7.1 channel layout. "Generic" LPCM could out-do Auro if the folks who control d-cinema standards would just make some decisions regarding the unassigned channels in the 16 channel standard. A 11.1 format with 24-bits in each channel with no proprietary decoding needed is do-able.

I think IMAX will either use its marketing weight to introduce its own proprietary next-gen audio format or the company will use the DTS OpenMDA format. I think Auro is going to get associated with cheaper "large format" concepts like Cinemark's "XD" theaters and perhaps Carmike's "Big D" theaters since Carmike still seems to be leaning in that direction (even though they haven't rolled out more Auro installs yet). IMAX would be wise to put some distance between it and Auro.

Obviously movie productions, particularly the sound departments, can't be looking forward to dealing with yet another proprietary sound format. Innovation is needed on the front end with audio editing tools. IIRC, DTS' OpenMDA format was supposed to be able to output object based mixes compatible with its own format as well as Dolby Atmos and then fold down to channel based formats like Auro, 7.1 and 5.1.

I guess what sound editors need is a sound panning 3D metaphor for a theater showing the various speaker layouts of these differing systems. The sound editing software would need to be smart enough to "snap" or balance sound elements for the unique speaker positions of these different formats and properly generate the audio data for them. It's a total non-starter to expect sound editing crews to create conventional 5.1/7.1 mixes then start over in Dolby Atmos' software front end and then go and do the same thing in Auro's software front end and then add another freaking thing from IMAX on top of that. For crying out loud, the sound crews don't even get enough time to generate really good 5.1 and 7.1 mixes. It's amazing any of them can squeeze out a decent Atmos mix once in awhile.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2014 11:20 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
BUT - If IMAX would implement their own 5.1+ sound system (be it channel or object based) - they would need to do their own multichannel sound mixes for all IMAX major releases. That is quite unlikely to happen, given the time constraints prior to world wide launch dates.

IMAX is already doing multichannel remixes for their releases. The stems go up to IMAX Sound in Toronto for them to re-mix for the existing IMAX sound format.

Your point still stands though, in that a re-mix into 11.1 would presumably take more time than porting a standard 5.1 or 7.1 mix into an IMAX 6.0 mix.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2014 12:35 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The studios on the other hand will not be able to do another IMAX proprietary sound mix in addition to existing widely used formats 5.1, 7.1, Auro 3D and ATMOS.
Carsten, I do have to disagree with you here. IMAX has a network of over 700+ MPX venues worldwide, that might be double the combined installations of both Auro and Atmos [Smile] . In addition, IMAX almost guarantees that the movie will be in IMAX locations upon release. So there is no doubt that the studios would cut an IMAX version of the sound mix.

I would agree, the easy way out is to just use the Auro mix. I just don't think it will be the same as Auro.

quote: Daniel Schulz
IMAX is already doing multichannel remixes for their releases. The stems go up to IMAX Sound in Toronto for them to re-mix for the existing IMAX sound format.
You are correct on this, IMAX does modify the mix.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 07:26 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Modifying' an existing final mix is a very different process than creating a valuable native 5.1+ mix. If you go for more channels with clear directional identities, you need to get access to the original sound mixers 'raw' material' - tapping into their creative territory. Won't happen.

And as the studios cry for a single future 3D audio format, they certainly won't have their sound studios create yet another mix, no matter for how many theaters there may be. Will be few for quite a while anyway...

It simply wouldn't make sense NOT to use Auro, if the speaker layout is more or less the same and mixes for it are created anyway. What would be IMAX' benefit to have only a minor variation with all the added effort to receive the dedicated IMAX sound mixes? They could still postprocess the Auro tracks to their liking as they do it now with 5.1 mixes.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-02-2014 05:37 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten is absolutely right on this one. Studios will simply not create a new native mix for just a few IMAX locations that could eventually play this. It would be a total waste of time and money.

Furthermore, with IMAX nowadays being primarily a marketing organization for a bunch of technologies implemented by others, I doubt they would even be able to pull it off in the first place. Even if they would be able to sign a studio or two for a limited amount of releases. So it's best for them to find an integrator that allows an easy upgrade path and also allows them to put their label on it. Barco and Auro seem like a better partner for this than Dolby.

The "custom mix" IMAX currently does, is just bollocks, it's just a bit of EQ to adapt it to their backwards sound system and everybody knows that.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It simply wouldn't make sense NOT to use Auro, if the speaker layout is more or less the same and mixes for it are created anyway.
Carsten, while I do agree that Auro is likely the cheapest and easiest route for IMAX to take so that studios/IMAX do not have to make additional mixes, IMAX does release movies in more than 700+ release locations for a DMR. For mega budget movies like Transformers, Star Wars, Star Trek, having a studio create an additional IMAX mix would not be all that difficult, time consuming, or costly. Studios are making Atmos and Auro mixes and the network for those two formats are about 350+ combined locations.

I do not think the set up for IMAX will be identical to Auro.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: