Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The end of series one projectors?

Author Topic: The end of series one projectors?
Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 08:55 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
Now that 35mm has gone (99%), How long do you think series one DCI projectors will last?

Do you think any of the new features of the new series 2 projectors (HFR e.g.) could make there are no material to play in the future with the old series one projectors/servers?
Maybe somekind of new subtitles system could be the killer?

This question is concerned about all of these little cinema owners that only can afford used series one projectors to survive in the digital world once they can't find 35mm films to show.

In my own oppinion, there are no reasons to "kill" these projectors in a couple of years. Maybe new projectors can play at 4k, maybe with laser light engines with more eficiency, better contrast ratios.., but if distributors wants, they can make DCPs not HFR nor 4k to support these equipments for a very long time.
The only one that could "kill" these equipment are their makers, not supporting spare parts or firmware updates
What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 09:52 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you said, technically there is no reason at all, other than wear and tear, that they should not last for years as long as replacement parts remained. But like anything computer based, we will ultimately be driven by some unnecessary software update. I still maintain that the picture is perfectly acceptable, in fact, stunning on my 2008 year CP2000s - and to me exceeds what I have seen on newer installs of some 4K kit on smaller screens!
At the end of the day, this good old series one puts a picture on screen and surely that is all that is asked for!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-28-2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest threat is probably studios coming up with some new kind of security requirement that's either impossible to implement on Series 1 hardware or manufacturers simply won't come up with new software updates to implement those requirements, because they consider the hardware end-of-life.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2015 02:14 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is already the mediablock issue. Series 1s can not use IMBs or IMSs. Last I knew Doremi still has servers with the Dolphin card in them new. Can not get new Dolby servers with Cat 862s. I don't think GDC is supporting anything but IMBs or IMSs. If you loose a Cat 862 Dolby will fix it for you but provides no spare during that time unless it is still under warranty. If you have a DSP-100 you are on your own.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is the Doremi DCP-2K4 is available with HDSDI. There are no plans to discontinue it at this time.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-28-2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Qube still supports SDI

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2015 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming soon to a D-Cinema projector near you... Metadata requirements!

There!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-01-2015 11:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a series 1 projector with a "GORE" board or "GLUE CABLE"...it meets DCI requirements and will not be obsoleted by Hollywood. You are completely dependent on the hardware manufacturers to support your equipment from a service/support standpoint.

It won't be the movies that will stop you, it will be failing hardware with no replacement parts. The early series 1 projectors used EFIB boards...those will be the first to find a lack of parts. We'll see how long these projectors last. Thus far, we have at least one series 1 projector from 2004 still going we are up to 11-years of service and counting.

I think the series 2 projectors will fare much better due to the numbers of them out there. Practically the entire industry converted around the same time so almost all of the projectors out there are series 2s though there was definitely a big push after Avatar came out in the series 1 era...that was still in the 1-2 projectors per complex days. Starting in 2010, the trend was much more towards conversion of entire complexes rather than just getting 3D capability.

HFR isn't what will kill series 1s...it would appear that HFR is just about stillborn. Nobody really talks about it anymore and it definitely didn't boost sales in the Hobbit. We'll see how Avatar 2 goes in 60fps 3D. I'd rather they experiment with it for 2D, myself. But that is a different subject.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2015 09:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather they concentrate on making better movies that put butts in the seats

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-02-2015 01:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm sure every projector "enhancement's" end goal is more butts in the seats.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2015 05:06 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "problem" period will start after 10 year time of last produced series 1 of each brand. Since mostly 10 year is period where manufacturer needs to supply service parts, and i think after that period they will get rid of spare parts to force buying new projectors. It will not be end wright away, as many will stil work, but i think it will be time to concider new machine if you count money on spare part and new machine with warranty?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: