Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HDMI Audio

Author Topic: HDMI Audio
John French
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2015 07:10 PM      Profile for John French   Email John French   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently for alternative content we are running analog stereo out of our blu-ray player into the nonsync input on our CP650. This works, but we would like to get full six channel surround for blu-ray and DVD playback.

Our Oppo BDP-103 has six channel analogue output, as well as a secondary HDMI output which can be configured to send 6-track LPCM. However, both the six-track analogue input and the eight-track AES input on our CP650 are occupied (by our MPU and the AES output from our Christie IMB, respectively).

Ideally I'd like to use something like this to get AES audio from the secondary HDMI output and find a way to easily switch between that and the AES output of the IMB. Is there an A/B switch box for 8-channel AES audio? This would allow us to use our existing wiring from the digital projector to our sound rack.

If not, I suppose an alternative would be to put in additional analog audio cabling and disconnect the MPU, which is almost never used these days.

Any recommendations?

|  IP: Logged

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 02:52 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've always used a domestic receiver for our non-cinema inputs. This allows us to switch between CD, computer, DVD, BluRay, TV, and anything someone brings to the cinema to show. The receiver then becomes a switcher for all, and allows us to mix slide shows with music overlay. But it is not very 'automatable'. It does also allow for BluRay 3D to be shown as well, and handles any audio format. The 7.1 channel discrete audio output is then fed into our DataSat processor.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-17-2015 04:24 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a new product from USL targeted at this application: the HSW-602

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/PR.aspx?newsID=3873

It will convert from HDMI to AES/EBU and switch over server AES/EBU. Plus video preview for multiple HDMI sources. However, I have yet to see which common consumer DVD/BluRay codecs it is able to decode - AC3, dts, and which of the higher quality TrueHD, HD Master, etc. codecs. If you will continue to use your OPPO this is no problem, as it will create 8ch LPCM as well. I think the Arvus converters are actually more expensive than the HSW-602, and offer less.

---
San Luis Obispo, CA—Dec 8, 2014
USL, Inc. Introduces the New 6-Channel HDMI HSW-602 Switch

Ultra Stereo Labs, a leader in digital cinema and alternative content technology, has developed and is now shipping the new 6-Channel HDMI 1.4b HSW-602 Switch. The HSW-602 fills the need for a professional, complete processing unit for alternative content in cinemas.

It features a program bus and preview bus allowing the user to preview the next event using a monitor on the preview output and then to switch that input to the projector using the program bus. It also includes a microphone and stereo line input that can overlay on any of the HDMI content. This feature allows a presenter to add live narration to a video presentation. In addition, all the HSW-602 devices may be remotely controlled via a wireless tablet using CEC (consumer electronics control). The switch will be on display in the USL booth at the CineAsia Convention located in the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre from December 9 through December 11.

The HSW-602 Switch features include 6 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs which all support 1080p 3D video. The audio input includes a live microphone, stereo line input, and an 8-channel AES/EBU input from the cinema server. The audio outputs include S/PDIF over optical and coax, and an 8-channel AES/EBU output to feed the cinema processor. An additional feature included is a browser interface for easy configuration. The HSW-602 Switch may be remotely controlled via Ethernet or contact closures from the digital cinema server or other devices such as tablets or PCs. All HDMI inputs and outputs maintain continuous HDCP security links to prevent attached devices from going into sleep mode.

USL, Inc. hardware engineer Troy Fredriks states, “The HSW-602 simplifies HDMI- based presentations by streamlining cumbersome operations into a single, straightforward interface.” USL Engineer Jay Wyatt notes that “the HSW-602 is truly a Swiss-army knife for combinations of HDMI playback.”

For more than thirty-three years, USL, Inc. has been a global leader for technical achievements in design, manufacturing, research, and development of cinema products and is the 2013 recipient of the International Cinema Technology Association’s Manufacturer of the Year award.

[For further information and product specifications, visit USL booth #108 at CineAsia or contact USL, Inc.’s Clint Koch at clint@uslinc.com]
----

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only passing knowledge of the USL HSW-602, but I do not believe it has any codecs. The manual for the HSW-602 is available here .

Harold

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 07:32 AM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the IMB have an HDMI input? I'm using a Doremi IMB on a Christie and it decodes the sound from its hdmi input.

John French
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 05:33 PM      Profile for John French   Email John French   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the IMB does not have any sort of consumer video inputs. We are running alternative content into the DVI port on the PIB.

I will look into the USL product, that sounds wonderful (I have also been considering getting a monitor for navigating DVD and Blu-Ray menus more easily, doing it on the cinema projector is ridiculously overkill and a huge pain!)

The lack of codecs will be fine for DVD and Blu-Ray discs, but could be a problem if we ever need to connect other HDMI devices. The BDP-103 has an HDMI input; does anyone know if it will use its codecs to decode audio from that input before sending it out over its HDMI outputs? If so that would provide a perfect solution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: