Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » No center channel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No center channel
Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2015 07:54 PM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have -
Nec NC3240s
Doremi IMB
Dolby Digital CP650 Cat. № 790 - Neutrik 110/75 ohm converter

Problem:

It has happen 3 times now and we havenŽt been able to find the problem or even make it happen.

Sometimes it just happens, and with the usefull help of the Murphys Law, allways with full house.

The center channel just goes. nothing else happens. just the center channel. I go to the back of the processor, wigle the cables arround a bit and the sound comes back on. But I donŽt think moving the cable around has anything to do with it.

Have checked all cables, all 4 ohm converters, have removed cat790 and everything seems to be ok.

Installer as no idea what it could be. We are going to start by changing the ohm converters.

Does anybody have any ideas for what might be causing this?

Thanks
Fernando

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2015 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post a picture of the back of the CP650 please so I can see the wiring (and more specifically the type of DB25 connector)?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does LFE disappear at the same time? If it were an AES/EBU problem, I'd expect them to disappear together.

Good luck!

Harold

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-15-2015 04:18 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Harold said, if an impedance converter was to blame, the LFE would disappear as well. I know it sucks but next time you'll have to check that when it happens (you can turn the amps off and check the 650's display to confirm. Keep a C/LFE CPL handy).

But the main question is: when that happens, does the 650 still show centre channel activity on the main display? If so, your problem is after the 650 (or the 650 itself) and I would begin by checking the output wiring and maybe by swapping amplifiers. If not, your problem is elsewhere, probably the IMB or the cabling or the 650 itself.

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,

IŽll post the picture tomorow.

Harold and Marco,

Only the center channel goes, and it is inactive on main display. All the other channels keep working normaly on the display.

One of the times it happened I switched the converters to see in another channel would stop workin but only the Center one was inactive.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 01:12 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the center goes away and LFE stays, I don't see how it can be an AES/EBU problem on the processor input. If the output indicator on the processor says the center is gone and the LFE is there, it seems like it's either in the processor or MAYBE routing in the server. If possible, it'd be nice to substitute another multi-channel AES/EBU source when the problem occurs and see if a known good source can drive the center channel.

This stuff is lots of fun when it's intermittent.

Good luck!

Harold

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-15-2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fernando Caldeira
Only the center channel goes, and it is inactive on main display. All the other channels keep working normaly on the display.
So, the little bar graph of the Center channel drops to zero bars and stays there? Any other messages on the display?

I'm just wondering here... what would be the expected behavior if the connection between the analog out of the CP650 and the amplifier behind it on the Center channel would be shorted?

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 06:03 PM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel so youŽr saying switch the amps, say L with C, and see if L goes?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-16-2015 01:03 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess switching the Center amp with e.g. the Left amp wouldn't be a bad idea. Because by process of elimination you can at least get a problem in your B-chain off your list if the problem remains the same.

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

here are the pictures.

ItŽs a bit of a mess a I know but...

-

-

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-16-2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This main audio out Y-Cable/adaptor looks a bit suspicious to me. However, if the signal goes away on the CP650 display already...

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are actually losing subwoofer too and you just don't realize it. In looking at that pic the DB25 used in the option input is the same type that has given me issues in the past. Once I replaced them, the problem went away forever. That's why I wanted to see it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-16-2015 02:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably easy to overhear a missing LFE, but if the center signal disappears from the display signal indicator while the LFE signals stays visible there...? It's hard to imagine what goes on there. The 790 has such a pile of issues, but losing a single channel from an AES/SP-DIF pair...

In theory one could assume a very weird channel mapping on the IMB, but who would do that ?

There have been some reports of lost channels or swapped channels in certain Doremi firmware versions.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-16-2015 05:22 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you are 100% positive the LFE is there, I'd think of a CP650 issue or a Media Block issue.

As it has been said, make sure you are on the latest version on your IMB.

Make sure your ethernet cables from the Doremi IMB is as short as possible, that IMB does not like them - among many other things.

Make sure your CP650 is running the latest sw - you may want to ask Dolby for the latest beta version (it won't be further developed) which drastically improves the 790 reliability.

Finally, does the sound come back if you reboot the 650? I know it takes ages and you have patrons in the auditorium.

I am not sure a bad connector could cause the issue you noted, if Brad is right and you are also losing the LFE, by all means your problem is likely to be the connector or a cold joint in it or the IMB adaptor.

Fernando Caldeira
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2015 05:26 AM      Profile for Fernando Caldeira   Author's Homepage   Email Fernando Caldeira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

IŽll try to have the instaler change de DB25.

Marco,

IŽm 99% shure. Has It happened during a show and the stress lvls were high but I had that question on the back of my mind so i was paying atention to that detail.

I will check the Ethernet cables and probably make new ones.

As for the softwere IŽll have de instaler do it.

A cold joint is like a bad welding?

Thanks for all the help.
IŽll keep you guys posted.

Cheers
Fernando

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: