Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 50 Shades of Grey KDMs

Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey KDMs
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-10-2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Received an email from Deluxe saying we would receive opening day keys for 50 Shades at approximately 7:00am EST on 2/12. The email also encourages us to schedule a QC screening ASAP.

Two things. First of all, does "opening day KDM" mean we will be getting a one day key and will need new keys for shows starting on 2/13?

Secondly, how do they expect us to schedule a QC screening in the early morning hours of Thursday before opening, especially when they don't say the time the keys will be active.

The fact they can make things so complicated does not mean they have to do so. Disney usually unlocks content 2-3 days before release - even for major tent poles. I wish the other studios would follow their lead.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-10-2015 03:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen copies on common filesharing sites? I guess they are super cautious about it, maybe there is no leak so far. Germany get's their keys last-minute as well.

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-10-2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A better question to ask would be are any encrypted movies from a DCP getting cracked and uploaded to file sharing sites?

If a movie like 50 Shades of Grey is getting onto file sharing sites before the theatrical release date odds are very strong a studio's DVD screener disc was the source, not a freaking DCP.
[Roll Eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-11-2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From looking at the security model for digital cinema, it is perishingly unlikely that any black hat has cracked it or could crack it for a given title in a reasonable time. A pre-release movie appearing for download or on black market disks came from post production leaks or from marketing screeners.
You could hack a server and get around cinelink - in theory - but I can't believe any non-government entity could break DCP encryption in days.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-11-2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies are still being filmed off a screen, and very often foreign audio tracks bootlegged to complete non-domestic releases. It is nearly impossible to detect or prevent unauthorized audio recordings. No need to crack a DCP. Studios know they can not be cracked. Still they issue the keys with very short time-windows.
Watermarking will not prevent a bootleg. It may only allow to track-back the screen where it was taken. If a movie is not on filesharing sites until the cinema release, chances are high someone could try capturing it from there.

Another possible reason in this case may be that the rating may have been decided very late, as they were trying to get a below-18 rating. Because they can have last-minute changes by issuing last-minute CPLs and corresponding KDMs.

- Carsten

Ross McLaughlin
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2015 04:48 PM      Profile for Ross McLaughlin   Email Ross McLaughlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our KDMs for it don't unlock until Friday morning, so looks like they aren't interested in any QC screenings here. Seems silly when it's their all-important opening weekend grosses that get affected by lost shows.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The email I received says the KDM for Fifty Shades of Grey will come in at 7:00 am EST Thursday 2/12/2015. It indicates that the key is active as soon as you load it and that is the opening day key. I assume it is for the 13th then. Find out in the morning.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 10:29 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Lake's came in early this morning 2-12-2015. They unlocked at 1 am this morning and run till 2-27-2015. We have an 8:20pm show tonight. May be differnt if you don't have a preview show tonight.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 03:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would take 2 weeks or longer, with a very powerful computer (or more) to crack the current encryption being used for Hollywood's DCPs.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 09:06 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The keys I got were only good for 47 shades of gray.
They had to re-issue me a set good for the whole 50.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: