Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » James and The Giant Peach Bluray Help Needed

Author Topic: James and The Giant Peach Bluray Help Needed
Mitchell Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Mitchell Robinson   Email Mitchell Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am Screening James and The Giant Peach on Blu-ray through as we could not get DCP whats the best aspect ratio to show the film on Blu-ray

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-08-2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as far as I remember (it's been quite a while), this movie was in flat on 35mm.

But some Blu-Ray releases are cropped to fit flat to the 1.77 native FullHD aspect ratio.

So, I guess you need to check your Blu-Ray and see what you got?

Mitchell Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 09:39 AM      Profile for Mitchell Robinson   Email Mitchell Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok Thanks

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just to make things more confusing for you - - -

I ran a 35mm print of this several years ago at the All Fruit Film Festival
(don't ask) and was told it was 1:66, and that's how I ran it.

IMDB has it listed as 1:66 too, but I always take IDBB's aspect info
'with a grain of salt'

I just did a quick search & found it listed as both 1:66 AND 1:85,
depending on which website I was looking at.

However, THIS website which reviewed the original disk release
sez the following:

"James and the Giant Peach is presented in its original widescreen
aspect ratio, 1.66:1. Though it has not been enhanced for 16x9 televisions"

So, if you can't decide, toss a coin. . . [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-08-2015 11:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there you have it. 1.78 fits nicely between 1.85 and 1.66! But as others have noted, how it is encoded on the disc will greatly affect how you "should" present it.

Mitchell Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Mitchell Robinson   Email Mitchell Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will Play it through the Digital Cinema Projector then I will see what it comes out like on screen Then I will Post Back what resolution I have chosen

Michael Kurtzke
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael Kurtzke   Email Michael Kurtzke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My US version of the Blu-Ray is 1.66. I'm 99% sure that the region B version is also 1.66

Here is an in depth review of the Blu-Ray.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: