Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS-200 power supplies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS-200 power supplies
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are others DSS-200s's power supplies holding up? I have lost 3 in 4 months. 2 in one server at different times and just now 1 in a different server. This last one made a big pop when it powered up.

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 05:48 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a few bad batches of those particular Supermicro PSUs with caps failing after a while, especially the older generation. Often, when the first one fails, the other will swiftly follow. Maybe they were a victim of the Capacitor plague. But in general, the newer ones seem to be pretty stable actually.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 06:16 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two servers are a few months past being a year old. They were new when they came to us but how long before that they were manufacturer I am not sure. Power supply was made by Ablecom. guess they supplied Super Micro. Says it is made in China.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 06:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have two DSS200s, with 2009 and 2011 manufacturing dates. As far as I'm aware, both still have both the power supply units that shipped from the factory.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 06:40 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
Power supply was made by Ablecom. guess they supplied Super Micro.
Ablecom is the "OEM" brand name of Supermicro. You will notice their logos rather look alike [Wink] .

They are made in China and/or Taiwan, but then again, what's not made there nowadays?

It seems you had a bit of a bad luck there. Obviously you could check for common factors, like the same brand of UPS being used on all of those. I've seen rare cases where UPS and equipment PSUs just didn't like each other, probably because of the bad quality of the output power of the UPS and/or the rather non-resilient design of the PSU.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 06:57 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No UPS here. And we have a DSS/DSP 100 powered by the same power panel as the one that just went that has been running for almost 7 years. All get the breakers turned off at night.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-05-2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The breaker aspect is an interesting one. Mind you, those things are actually server power supplies, they're designed to run 24/7 and switching them on and off regularly might even cause more wear than just letting them run, even in stand-by mode.

Another thing they don't like is dust and oil, they were never designed to operate in a rugged environment, but rather in a typical IT room environment. If they get clogged up, they tend to overheat and just blow out once in a while.

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had one or two that have failed out of over (200) DSS200 systems.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 03:15 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get a spare power supply for my dolby DSS200 & my Doremi 2k4 server anybody have the m#s handy or i can pull them out,or do still need to go to dolby & doremi. when the one for my dss100 went down amazon had them for $92.00 & server supply had referbs for $30.00

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 1/2 year old DSS200, still on both original factory power supplies. We do use a UPS and rarely power the server down

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2016 05:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSS200 and DSS220 power supplies are off-the-shelf Supermicros (Ablecom). I don't have the models committed to memory though.

Watchout on some of these suppliers, I've received used being passed off as new.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 06:48 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: are both the dolby 200 & doremi 2k4 slide out supplies like the dolby 100, no wires to disconnect inside

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 21 DSS200s. 6 are 5 years old, the other 15 are 4 year old DSS200-3 series. Knock on wood no problems with power supplies yet. Can not say the same for our CP750s, have lost a few of them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2016 05:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had boatloads of CP-650 supplies fail form the plague. So many that I just started replacing the capacitors in them....

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that of the 200 or so DSS200s we have out there...maybe 5 of them have had any form of power supply issue.

The power supplies require no wiring. They just slide out as a self-contained brick.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: