Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Imax Secures Kodak Laser Projection Technology

Author Topic: Imax Secures Kodak Laser Projection Technology
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-17-2011 11:50 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Imax Secures Kodak Laser Projection Technology

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

quote:
TORONTO - Imax Corp. has a new way to deliver digitally-remastered Hollywood movies to institutional and dome theaters.

The large format exhibitor on Monday said it secured the exclusive rights to a range of laser projection patents from Eastman Kodak Company to improve its digital cinema offering.

Toronto-based Imax said it acquired around 50 patent families to deliver digital content, including supers-sized Hollywood films, to 80 to 100 feet institutional theater screens and to dome theatres that previously screened only analog film.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Imax is to return royalties to Kodak as part of the agreement.

The new laser-projection technology will be rolled out by the second half of 2013.

"Because this technology produces the deepest blacks, and the brightest 3D of any system demonstrated to date, it will truly make the movies more exciting for consumers, and that creates a strong value proposition for the studios and exhibitors as well,” Kim Snyder, president of entertainment imaging and vp of Eastman Kodak Company, said in a statement.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2011 10:51 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
has been there any details if the (4:3) screen size will stay intact - since standard IMAX-Digital screens are 1.78:1 ?

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
has been there any details if the (4:3) screen size will stay intact - since standard IMAX-Digital screens are 1.78:1 ?
The interesting thing is that the new D-IMAX screen at my local theater is 1.44:1, but the digital image of course doesn't fill that space. The manager told me back in February that there servers were 4K ready, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.44:1 screen and 4K ready servers were in preparation for this new system.

So, yes, it's safe to assume the new PJ's will have 1.44:1 chips.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-02-2011 08:21 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, Kodak Laser Projection Technology is 2k DLP based. And even if they upgrade it to 4k, TIs DLPs are the only ones available for now. Of course, IMAX bought patents, not existing technology, so they are certainly not restricted to any existing aspect ratio. Just that developing their own DLPs is very, very unlikely.

Besides that, I wouldn't assume that any current screen aspect ratio decision is based on something that IMAX just now aquired patents for.

Of course, if they go 4k, they could realize any geometry with less impact on resolution than on existing 2k or 2*2k systems. But then again, features are usually not shot in IMAX aspect ratios, so wether you scale or mask the source or the projection raster - makes no big difference. This will probably only bring brighter images, especially in 3D, on the largest IMAX screens with digital technology.

- Carsten

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2011 01:05 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about the technology.

Does the laser scan the DLP like a CRT type setup?

Is the laser white which is then separated into RGB or are there 3 independant lasers Red, Green, Blue, respectively?

Markus Ito
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Markus Ito   Email Markus Ito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I understand it, there will be three discrete lasers (red, green, blue) that will be combined to create white laser light. This will then go through whatever the projector uses to create the image. The end result is pretty much identical to regular projector, except that the laser takes the place of the lamp.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2011 08:22 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think thats about it. I saw some of the vids showing the press release of the tech. IIRC they use 21 lasers (7 red, 7green, 7blue) and they are aimed at one DLP chip each. So basicaly you still have three DLP chips but no complex prisms to split the white light into the three primary colors.
As Markus said its similar to a regular projector what they are doing is changing the light source. One other benefit is that lasers are polarized light so there is no need for polarizers in front of the lens, just polarized glasses.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Semes to me that they also secured Laser Light Engines design... but not solely to themselves and I doubt kodak would also give anyone any exclusive on this important of technology.

Mark

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2012 10:42 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting story now that Kodak is on its death bed. I'm interested to know if Imax purchases more Kodak patents soon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The dying buying the dead. [Razz]

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2012 12:11 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno Brad, IMAX is certainly not dead. In 2004 IMAX shares were $4.50 a share, today they are close to $19

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: