Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Move to digital sparks new partnership between Technicolor and Deluxe

Author Topic: Move to digital sparks new partnership between Technicolor and Deluxe
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-18-2011 12:01 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Move to digital sparks new partnership between Technicolor and Deluxe

Source: LA Times

quote:
Hollywood's rapid march to digital technology is bringing arch rivals Deluxe Entertainment Services Group and Technicolor Inc. together in an unusual partnership.

The companies announced today that Technicolor will subcontract its 35mm film print business in North America to Deluxe, the postproduction company owned by MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc. In turn, Deluxe will farm out its 35mm print distribution business to Technicolor, the French-owned company that is the world's largest maker of film prints.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

As a result of the move, Technicolor will close its film lab in Mirabel, Canada, outside of Montreal, eliminating 178 jobs. Earlier this year, Technicolor announced that it was shutting its lab at Universal Studios after losing its contract with Universal Studios to Deluxe.

Technicolor is opening a smaller, 40,000-square-foot-lab in Glendale that will release 60-to-70mm film prints for Imax and other big-screen theaters.

The partnership with Deluxe reflects the rapidly reduced demand for film prints as more movies and TV shows are released digitally. Nearly half of the 42,000 screens in the U.S. have been converted from film to digital technology.

"Today's agreement with Technicolor is the result of significant changes in our industry enabled by new digital technologies,'' said Cyril Drabinsky, president and chief executive of Deluxe Entertainment Group. "This agreement will help maintain a high consistency of service for our customers through the remaining life of film.''

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2011 01:02 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is What The F***. Right after I end my work with film, Technicolor stops making 35mm prints. I prayed for this to happen from the first orange can I opened. God damn it. Someone must have planned this.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for posting this "news" yet again, I didn't pick up on the fact that Deluxe getting out of film shipping was part of the whole thing. Skimming = bad. [Embarrassed]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: