Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Launching Next-Gen 3D Glasses

Author Topic: Dolby Launching Next-Gen 3D Glasses
System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-21-2011 01:36 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Launching Next-Gen 3D Glasses

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

-

quote:
The company has partnered with 3M to develop a new multilayer optical film lens that will reduce the weight of the glasses, provide more comfort for moviegoers and lower the price for exhibitors.

Dolby Laboratories is launching its next-gen Dolby 3D glasses for use with its 3D Digital Cinema systems.

"With the newly designed Dolby 3D glasses, we look to maintain the premium quality visual performance that Hollywood has come to expect from Dolby 3D, while providing a more comfortable fit for cinemagoers and a lower price point for exhibitors," said Dolby's senior cinema marketing director Matt Cuson, adding that the glasses "are designed to be used repeatedly, bringing per-ticket costs well below disposable single-use 3D glasses."

The passive glasses are available at a list price of $12 or lower when purchased with a Dolby 3D bundle -- down from a $17 list price for the prior line.

"We estimate a theater owner can pay off the (Dolby 3D) system after the first dozen titles (on average)," Cuson told The Hollywood Reporter.

Cuson explained that Dolby's 3D glasses traditionally used glass lenses. For the new line, Dolby has partnered with 3M to develop a new multilayer optical film lens that the company said reduces the weight of the glasses.

The new nylon frame features wide side temples and a shelf along the top edge of the frames, in order to help prevent extraneous light from entering the glasses.

The new frames are also designed to fit comfortably on roughly 98% of prescription glasses, according to Dolby. Plans are in place to offer children-sized glasses next quarter.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2011 03:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering most 3D movies are animated movies geared more for kids it might have made more sense to make the new kid's size glasses available at the same time. But better late than never I suppose.

Good move on Dolby's part though (provided the new glasses work just as well as the more expensive ones). I wonder if it will result in any screens currently equipped for Real-D to switch over to Dolby 3D.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-21-2011 07:57 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, man!

We just got 600 brand new pairs of the old ones...

<sigh>

I feel a little bit obsolete now

This is one of the downsides of the digital revolution (for cinema operators) -- things are gonna change faster

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-21-2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still waiting for my clip-ons. Common, Dolby, get with the program!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2011 12:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Film" lenses? I wonder how those are going to stand up to washing and "handling" by overzealous kiddies. I always thought the glass lens was the BEST feature of the Dolby system. So far I don't think I've registered one complaint about the glasses being too heavy.

I am glad however to see them finally getting on the kid-sized bandwagon.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2011 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...you do know about the temple pads for the kiddies, don't you? The do help the glasses fit better on smaller heads.

We'll see how the new ones hold up...we have already started supplying them.

-Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-22-2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve - no, I didn't know about those temple pads. Will look into that ... probably only about $10 a set, right? [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2011 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are actually something like $55 for a 100 pairs. Dolby CAT 928.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-04-2011 09:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at the new kid-size Dolby glasses on view at CinemaCon, I teamed up with another owner and we ordered some of them. After looking at the picture I think those temple pads would be a little too bulky on kids' heads.

The next-gen adult glasses are indeed lighter than the previous ones but I wouldn't call them a game-changer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: