Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issues using HDMI ports on Dolby 220-IMB 745

Author Topic: Issues using HDMI ports on Dolby 220-IMB 745
Douglas Katelus
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2015 06:51 PM      Profile for Douglas Katelus   Email Douglas Katelus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently upgraded our Dolby server 220/IMB 745 from 4.8.1 to 4.8.2
After upgrading I can't get either of the HDMI ports on the IMB to pick up any signal. The HDMI's were working just fine previously via our OPPO BD, now it's simply "invalid video format" it's the same on every player/computer I have tried. Has anyone come across this issue?

|  IP: Logged

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2015 07:40 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several "packages" that gets upgraded in the Cat745 everytime you do an upgrade. I have experienced some of them failing silently when doing upgrades, most often the HDMI part.

These upgrade errors can be found by digging deep in the logs, but probably the easisest is to just redo the upgrade. You can use the upgradeMediablock.sh script to re-upgrade just the IMB.

I once had to do this three times to get everything working. Everytime, no error was shown in the GUI. Just in the logs..

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-11-2015 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had just the HDMI portion fail and when it did, the HDMI board was effectively dead. A big clue that this has happened is that each time you reboot the system...when it wakes up, it will see that the update hasn't completed so it restarts the upgrade process again.

It is REAL important to NOT interrupt a CAT745 update...wait until you get back to a connected state.

If you do find that your HDMI board is toast, contact Dolby or your service company as that part can be changed rather briskly without having to change the whole module.

If you are not experiencing that problem. Dolby JUST issued 4.8.2.24 (within the last couple of days) and build 24 has one key update to the CAT745 over build 23 in that it addresses a KDM that may expire while a show is in progress (can be key in screening rooms)...but in any event, if you download that update, it will also force a CAT745 update. Mind you, if the HDMI board is toast, this will not help you because the HDMI board won't respond to the update.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-11-2015 08:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To reinforce Steve's point, I updated one of our servers to 4.8.2.23 a while back, the Dolby helpdesk person who gave me the ISO download link told me that on no account should I touch anything after it reboots and says that it's updating the cat745. He also told me that it could hang on 99% for up to 20 minutes, but that this did not mean that the update had failed and that I should absolutely leave it until it said it was done, or else I could brick the HDMI board.

In the event, it hung somewhere else for 3-4 minutes (something like 75% but I can't remember), but completed successfully and the HDMI input works fine.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-12-2015 03:22 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
interesting, I've got one today which is acting up. Both ports work with a signal, but when using another source only HDMI2 works, HDMI1 does not work or shows stupid resolutions (like 1865x3). I re-run the upgrade but still no luck... I'll check the logs, thanks for the hint.

Douglas Katelus
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 11:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Katelus   Email Douglas Katelus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Figured I would post my progress, forgive the extreme delay. Updating to 4.8.2.24 did solve the issue and both HDMI ports on the IMB work again! Still seems strange since the in between update somehow turned them off... either way things seems to be running fine. It would be great if they could remove that damn popping sound when switching between everything on the server. I know the processor has a mute but really should be have to use that all the time!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2015 11:30 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The popping seems to be an issue with switching HDMI. The USL HDMI switch has this issue as well.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-20-2015 05:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the update procedures also note that nothing should be connected to the HDMI ports during the update.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-20-2015 07:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, current Dolby software is 4.8.4.10 and is notably superior to other 4.8 versions. That said, 4.8.5 should be out in a few weeks (or sooner) and there is a mode that should reduced the likelihood of "snats" in the sound to "sensitive" audio processors. It is a mode set in the the CLI via the administrator login.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-20-2015 07:44 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if every version was truly better then the previous one... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: