Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 2k SERVER (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2k SERVER
Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 09:25 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are planed opening New 3 screen 2k projection,
Kindly Suggest Which server is user friendly and best in your experience.(Not interested in IMB )
My Using Experience only In Qube and Doremi DCP 2000

1 doremi
2 dolby
3 gdc
4 qube
5 others

Thanks and regards

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-28-2014 10:29 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
User-friendliness shouldn't really be your first selection criteria. All servers are sufficiently simple for their normal day-to-day management and you need some good technical knowledge (internal or external) for the more advanced aspects anyway.

Dolby's line of non-IMB servers are essentially exit and the rest will be rather soon, so you can get that off the list.

I would go for Doremi (now Dolby) as it is probably the most widely deployed server solution alongside with Dolby and generally speaking quite robust. But you should weight in other factors like serviceability and availability at your location, the need for integration with an IMS, etc.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-01-2015 07:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with GDC and have worked with Doremi's along with Dolby and found that GDC are a bit more user friendly than Doremi's and the Dolby, yet all three are easy to learn how to use them in their own way to your advantage.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2015 09:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Monte, spreading false information again? [Wink]

Hands down Dolby is the easiest. I've never heard of anyone disagreeing until Monte's absurd post above.

Doremi is a good second.
GDC is the third.

Still none of these are particularly difficult to learn and all have a little quirk here and there to learn, but if user friendliness is your primary objective, you cannot beat the Dolby GUI.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 06:42 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has the most polished user interface of the "big three" independent DCI server manufacturers (Dolby, Doremi and GDC). While Doremi's software certainly gets the job done, it's evident they never put much energy in making it look "good" for example.

Yet, the daily tasks of ingesting, managing and queuing up content aren't rocket science and can be thought to about everyone who's just halfway competent. If somebody is scared by a somewhat "industrial" looking user interface, you shouldn't let him/her near your equipment anyway.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...explain that to the 70+ year olds I've had to teach DCinema to. And they OWN this equipment you don't want me to let them near!

For the record, yes I've taught non-computer people the other GUIs...but using Dolby, one cuts their time WAY WAY down. Furthermore, if it is a multiplex, the "TMS" doesn't require anything new to teach. The hardest "concept" for them to get on the Dolby GUI in a multiplex is that every server shares the SAME shows but that the CONTENT is unique to each server. That is...if you make a show (SPL in other lingoes) on any server...that show is on ALL servers...however the content didn't magically move around. But once they get the concept of Right-Clicking on the show to "Copy Clips" , the light bulb normally goes on and things go real easy from there.

But yes, projection in cinema remains a repetitive task so most ANY system will be figured out with enough time.

But if you want maximum up-time...I'll still stick with Dolby...it isn't perfect, but in most ways, it is the best.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 10:03 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think generally we like what we know.
I work mostly with Doremi and freely admit to preferring them, probably just because I've learned some of their quirks.
Dolby's GUI has pretty colors but I never got really used to it, and I find some of the systems' peculiarities very frustrating.
I have worked on a few GDC systems and don't have major complaints... except building macros is stupidly difficult: maybe it's been changed, but why can't the commands be re-ordered?
If you have to build and run shows at each server, it is convenient to have them all the same. In my experience, at a house with 9 Doremis and 2 Dolbys the staff will hate the Dolbys. Flip the numbers and the staff will detest the Doremis.
If you have a TMS doing the grunt work it doesn't much matter, except troubleshooting becomes difficult regardless of server brand. Since they rarely work on them, the staff don't understand the systems well enough to help much - and trivial problems require a technician visit when the NOC needs helpful eyes and hands on site.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 10:26 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The OP is from India. Qube and GDC are quite prominent there, which might be reflected in the support, language localization options, etc. While probably no one in india has a problem with english language, it may still play a role when it comes to support. I have never seen anyone on this forum recommending Qube servers, and there is a reason, but I think they are used a lot over there.

Doremi is about to release their web-interface for their DCP-2k4/DCP-2000/ShowVault Servers, which 'looks' a lot better than their slightly outdated native user interface, so, soon one will have two choices to operate these machines.

- Carsten

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 11:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten what is the reason The few people I know with QUBE seem content with them

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-02-2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave...it may be a glass half-full/empty thing. While one may be biased to what they know...the other side of the coin could the fear of the unknown (I'd rather work with the devil I know versus the devil I don't).

I forgot all about the oddity of GDC not letting one edit an Automation sequence (move it up/down)...that is strange. I must admit, I haven't set one up in quite some time as I generally copy/paste configurations. I also use the eCNA line of automations in our sites so most of the GDC commands are just to the eCNA and the eCNA takes it from there. A single MACRO command from the GDC will suffice and I never have to edit it again. I put in a relatively recent request to allow for up to 50 Macros and the RDI command for the eCNA...which hopefully will make it into a future build.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 11:41 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Qube Unbeatable servicein india with available any indian language ,And Corect content delivery and injesting to all content and crate play list every week (Projectionst job play and stop only )
The service technician visit every Thursday and check everything.But Price is High.
Then Others Go to Scrable for doremi and GDC. Normaly All server and projector using Rent Mode.Dolby server very low scale usage in india.But Sound system All Most Using 99% Only Dolby 7.1 and Atmos.

Gary Benn
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Gary Benn   Email Gary Benn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We find that the Doremi DCP2000 works very well and is very easy to train staff how to use.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2015 06:22 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My (limited) experience with GDC's is that they suck at "multi-tasking",
such as trying to ingest or verify files while a show is in progress.
It either slows the ingest down to what I consider an unacceptable
rate, or the show in progress starts skipping or momentarily freezing.

The software is up to date, and drives are in good shape, although, in
all fairness, I think the place I'm dealing with has a lot of old 'crap'
content on their servers they don't need anymore.

A GDC tech is coming in early February and I'm going to have a good
chat with him about this and several other issues & get some advice.

Mabye I'll learn something.

On the other hand, Dolbystuff in my experience, handle multiple tasks
much better, and I've NEVER had a show skip or freeze due to trying
to ingest or do anything else while a show is in progress.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2015 08:34 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is easiest from a user point of view, hands down. I've only heard bad stuff about QUBE being unreliable and having a lot of glitches, but the last time I knew anyone working on one it was back in the start of Dcinema so perhaps it's gotten better. I think theres a good reason we only see them in emerging markets.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 07:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Jim about ingesting while a show is running with GDC. Their LMS is something to dislike as well. Rebooting the LMS regularly is a way of life. Transferring a feature over the network can cause show interruption. Jim please post what the GDC tech has to say.

Dolby's DSS-200 sprints on ingesting show running or not. Sadly no longer in production.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: