Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » image from barco´s 10S looks pallid (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: image from barco´s 10S looks pallid
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2014 09:56 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi.
We have 6 Barco Dp2k10S projectors, they are relatively new and the image looks pallid or opaque.
i clean the lens screen window and nothing make it look better.
i remember when they just arrive the image looks good.

do you have some advice that can help us to fix that?

thanks guys
and happy new year

mike moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-30-2014 10:41 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a lot of dirt in the air? Can you smell popcorn in the booth?
Is the front of the lens clean? Lenses and other projector optics need special care, use only optical wipes or clean microfibre cloth and pure (99.6%) isopropyl alcohol for any cleaning.
Check the rear element of the lens, and the front of the light engine prism. They might be coated with some air pollution but generally they stay quite clean.
There are assorted settings in the projector that can result in "pallid" image quality... but they don't change themselves, especially not to 6 projectors at the same time. Do you have a staff member who likes to play? That does happen.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-31-2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Remember that if you remove the lens then you'll have to home and return it for your lens file to be accurate again. Make sure you are familiar with the system before you play with it.

What about your light levels? A dark picture may appear as dull. Did your installer set up CLO on your projector? What is the light level displayed by the communicator and what is your lamp power? Do you have a 3D device in front of the projector?

S-series have proper HEPA filters, hopefully they're doing a better job than the previous mesh ones.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i use only isopropilyc.
about the lens home i do that when i remove the lens.

i think im going to call tech support because they sey you can use compressed air to clean the light engine.

mike moreno
mexico

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 11:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - was the image better before? Since when are these systems installed? Any specific operational conditions - a very dusty environment, etc.?

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 02:44 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the projector window glass? If they are coated and cleaned with alcohol the coating can become cloudy. I've also had double pane glass where the inside of the glass gets dirty and can be hard to disassemble to clean.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all port windos are clean and about the enviroment mmm well this 6 projectors are in diferents complex and also diferent cities.
the environment does not feel popcorn smell but yes those are dusty places and we work hard to clean at least every 2 or 3 days. and this only happens with these 10S projectors. we have 20c, 15C and some christies and they work fine.

Bob Ezra
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 05:54 PM      Profile for Bob Ezra   Email Bob Ezra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sam

Abrissa recommends alcohol on their coated glass and I'm not so sure. What do you use?

Thanks

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 08:10 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is ammonia based cleaners that fog the coating. It is often a component in consumer glass cleaner. When I got coated eyeglass lenses the doctor warned me about cleaners with ammonia.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-02-2015 10:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told to avoid any ammonia glass cleaners (most home glass cleaner stuff) on any coated optics.
Pure isopropyl alcohol cleans well but it is hard to get rid of all streaks. Coated lens cleaner is very good but doesn't remove popcorn oil as well as alcohol. Use lens tissue or Kimwipes on coated glass and rub as little as possible. Facial tissue (Kleenex) is very abrasive even though it feels good on your skin while Kimwipes feel like sandpaper...?
I don't know why the 10s would look "pallid". I have quite a few 10s and 8s units working that haven't had any such problems. Since all four at your site are the same, I think something specific to your operation must be doing it. Maybe check the dates on your projector macro files (in file manager) to see if someone has been playing with them?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-03-2015 02:07 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to avoid ammonia based cleaners as in Windex. Senior moment.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-03-2015 04:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
while Kimwipes feel like sandpaper...?
Dave,
had the same feeling! Guess I'll have to trust the professionals at Kimberley Clark? They realy work well even though I usually finish the cleaning with a microfiber cloth to remove streaks.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-03-2015 06:42 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't ordinary wet goggles cleaner tissues serve all needs? They can be bought very cheap, individually packed and 'always clean' when used from a new pack. They should have no issues with coatings, should they?

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-03-2015 07:13 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kimwipes are disposable as well. I've found that most goggle cleaners contain too much water and leave streaks. Also, some anti-coating treatments don't like water-based chemicals.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have there been any changes to the projector settings since they were installed? It sounds as if the PCF files in the projector macros may be incorrect. Has alternate content (DVD or Blu-ray) been run on these machines? Are the images very bright and washed-out looking, or are they desaturated and kind of gray?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: