Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Display the name of the machine in VNC

Author Topic: Display the name of the machine in VNC
Raz Tovy
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2014 05:23 AM      Profile for Raz Tovy   Email Raz Tovy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all,
I would like to change the display of my Christie CP2210/20/30 in the VNC.
I have an example here:
 -

How i do it?
I would also like to this with DCP-2000.
Thx all.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-29-2014 09:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you use a VNC client with presetable connections, the VNC client may allow you to assign your own connection titles. Some VNC hosts allow to assign names, but I think it's better if the client allows to assign free titles to ALL devices.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-29-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it displays anything from the connected device, it will be the device's network hostname.

The hostname is configured in the projector (or server, Jnior, whatever) network settings. It can be set to some identifying info when the systems is installed, but is often just left at whatever the default was from the factory.

Note that changing network settings can really screw up the projection system network (no shows until corrected) - so unless you know what you're doing and how to recover from mistakes... leave them alone.

The domain and hostname can be critical for local network connectivity. Most installations are on domainless isolated network segments though, and these names can be changed to anything you like. If the domain is obviously a factory default (ie chistiedigital.com, doremilabs.com) then you can probably change it and the hostname at will.

If that's the Christie web browser connection page you show in the image, the text at the top is probably just the version of tightVNC used (the projector uses a Java (I think) version of tightVNC in the webpage to connect to the TPC).

That text doesn't look like a projector hostname. I do not have a projector available to connect to to check this theory out.
I generally use RealVNC (installed on my PC) to connect, and I don't recall it displaying any hostname info for anything.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-29-2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Login with service credentials.
Menu/Service Setup/System Access.
Windows Explorer
Control Panel/System
Computer Name/Change
Enter what you want and hit OK/OK.

Raz Tovy
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2014 05:38 AM      Profile for Raz Tovy   Email Raz Tovy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx "Brad Miller"
It worked.
How i do it in my Doremi Dcp 2000?

Raz Tovy
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2014 07:40 AM      Profile for Raz Tovy   Email Raz Tovy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How i do it in my Doremi Dcp 2000?
 -

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2015 08:37 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It cannot be done on the Doremi's [Frown]

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 12:05 PM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some VNC clients will allow to change the name of the connection.
For Doremi, I add a line in the Control Tab of Cinelister with the screen number. Easier than looking at the IP.

Gary Benn
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2015 02:56 PM      Profile for Gary Benn   Email Gary Benn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which VNC client is that?

Raz Tovy
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2015 02:07 AM      Profile for Raz Tovy   Email Raz Tovy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel Acevedo Civantos: How you do it?
Gary Benn: I use UltraVNC Viewer.

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Chicken of the VNC on OSX. On windows I have seen promising configuration options, but never worked.

Looking at the IP is easy in some clients, that's another option.

I still prefer having the screen number wrote on the Control Tab, as that's the tab the "normal" operators should only use, with the various basic operations they need.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel: The only place I can find to add a screen number is in the Theater Properties section of the Control Panel. I've done it on two different servers, and this information does not appear on the Control tab. How are you putting the screen number on the Control tab?

Manuel Acevedo Civantos
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 12:17 PM      Profile for Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Author's Homepage   Email Manuel Acevedo Civantos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add a section name and write whatever you want in it, even a button with no function.
It's not a feature, it's a hack [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: