Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Wanting to up the showmanship: motorize drapes and masking help?

Author Topic: Wanting to up the showmanship: motorize drapes and masking help?
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2014 12:52 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty handy and feel like I can handle install the equipment, but I'm not 100% sure of what I need or the best sources of equipment (track, motors, etc.).

What I would like is to have drapes the completely cover the screen when not in use, and then open as the show begins. This would be in addition to the actual masking of the screen for the various aspect ratios.

Where is a good supplier to look at for the parts (minus the drapes themselves, I already have that covered)?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-26-2014 08:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Track and motors are available from ADC or H&H Specialltes and are available through most theatrical rigging supply houses
also ensure your drapes are "Inherently Flame Proof" and have a certificate

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-26-2014 12:52 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much ditto what Gord says. The drapes are critical, they must be fireproof. Your fire and liability insurance will be void if you don't use certified drapery. Usually the Chicago fireproof textile certificate is accepted everywhere: since the Iroqouis fire over 100 years ago, Chicago has had some very serious theatre fire regulations.

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew your audience will love this added showmanship touch. The color of the curtains is very important. It's nice to add a strip of LED lights on the bottom that shine up the drape. Go with Blue to start. Try to buy the strip that you can change the color from time to time. Don't forget to program the curtains to close again after the previews and open again on the main feature with the image on the curtains before you open to to the screen.

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curtains are heavy. Make sure the building can handle the added load. Not including the tracks and motors, an example weight is about 225lbs for a 32x16 main drape for a live theater I volunteer in. There are multiple fabric types too. IFR is preferable since it does not require periodic retreating with flame retardant. Treated curtains can't be cleaned via normal means since it will leach out the flame retardant chemicals. Best local source of advice and suppliers would be a live theater.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.rosebrand.com/default.aspx They do excellent work.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2014 10:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.melfabco.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: