Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS-200 KDM Problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS-200 KDM Problem
Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2014 09:41 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having problems ingesting KDM's to a Dolby DSS-200 server. When we try to send a KDM from the LMS or directly from a USB gives us an error saying "insuficient space..." but the server as a lot of space in the hard drives.

We are able to do transfers of content and SPL's.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-23-2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What LMS are you using?

Is this a cat862 based DSS200? Or is there an IMB in the projector?

Count the KDMs currently loaded. How many are in there?

What version of software are you using?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-24-2014 01:26 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Licenses are stored on the media block. There is limited space on the Cat 862 (and, I would assume, the Cat 745 as well) to store KDMs and unused KDMs are not deleted until they expire.

Delete all KDMs from the player (you can't selectively delete them) and re-ingest just the ones you need. Just make sure you have a copy of all needed KDMs before you delete them from the player.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 02:15 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our KDMs have stopped being deleted automatically on our DSS200.. there are ones from months ago still showing on there as expired. I assume I should delete them all and reingest the current ones to prevent this problem?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-24-2014 04:20 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that before but I thought the KDMs would be automatically deleted. What version are you running? Any chance something got broken on some sw version?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-24-2014 05:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weird thing with this...I've had exactly one site go through the CAT862 being full of KDMs...and it happened to effectively ALL screens at the site. They use a Cinedigm TMS system but I have many sites that have the same configuration but just the one site had the problem and the age of the servers varies from 2009 (Hello Avatar!) on up to the big conversions that started after series 2s came out...I want to say the bulk of the servers were installed in 2011.

They are currently on System 4.7.3.3 (we update about twice per year and based on potential benefits of the new version...they have a DSS100/DSP100 on site and 4.7.3.3 is the last version for that and is DCI compliant...a requirement for VPF plans).

I'm wondering if it was the path that was taken (which updates it had) that "broke" the auto KDM deletion though I didn't count 200 active KDMs in the CAT862 (that is the limit). However, deleting the KDMs did "fix" the problem. So I wonder if it will ever come back. And if the problem didn't start with 4.7.3.3 now that the CAT862s are empty (well, since the deletion about 3 weeks ago) if all is good now. I suspect that all but the DSS100 will be updated to some form of 4.8 or 4.9 by this time next year and there are CAT862 software changes in those.

I have not had it happen in any other site yet and they all are of similar age in terms of the DCinema conversion.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 05:54 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show manager version 4.7.2.33

Media Block version 4.6.0.12

Screen Server version 4.7.2.1

It is affecting both screens here (we have 2 screens and use one as a TMS)

Just counted and we have 190 KDMs so if there is a 200 limit I better delete them ASAP!

Might I be better waiting until after the holiday period to press delete just in case we run into any problems? Can't imagine many techs being happy having to come out over the Christmas period if we did run into any issues. We shouldn't be getting any more KDMs until the week commencing 2nd January..

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2014 05:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the KDMs...you're safe...just make sure you have the KDMs! And yes, it is a 200 limit.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 06:05 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, will have a go later. We'll have all the KDMs as they're all emailed and I save all the emails. I'll double check before hitting the button though!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-24-2014 11:42 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fun is that we've just sorted out the Enigma getting full of logs... now we have the MediaBlock full of KDMs! [Smile]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 11:57 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've seen a lot of this lately.

It all started with KDMs for trailers from Warner Bros, which were badly formatted, one had an closing date set before it had actually opened, the replacement had the same UUID as the original (you can easily see why that isn't going to work).

It would appear that the software doesn't deal with stupid human mistakes such as the above, and that the KDM angine or whatever we're calling it 'stalls' for want of a better word.

Deleting all KDMs and ingesting only those you need sorts it.

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'll be what caused it for us then - a dodgy Interstellar KDM. Quite why trailers need KDMs is another thing..

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another potential bombshell that is starting to crop up...particularly in VPF sites with a Cinedigm TCC...the CAT862 Audit Logs can fill up. With a Cinedigm system, you get a bout 2-years before the CAT862 will reboot itself because the logs are full (interrupting a show). It would appear that the TCC can "flood" the CAT862 with audit requests and each request is logged so it fills them up extra fast.

I know Dolby is working on a "fix" for it in an upcoming release.

If you have the problem, tech support can help with a way to purge the audit logs (to give you another 2-years or so). Purging the audit logs is not always ideal in a VPF plan since those are the logs used for VPFs.

The logs can also be purged by reinstalling the CAT862 software and ticking the "install all components" checkbox. This can't be done remotely, however.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-24-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
200 active KDMs in the CAT862
In addition to this "soft" 200 KDM limit, there is still the "hard" physical storage limit.

If you open a KDM, you will find that there is actually a license for each "reel". A "6-reel" movie will have 6 licenses within that KDM. This takes up a certain amount of storage space for each license.

In my conversations with Dolby when we first ran into this issue, they recounted someone creating a 50-plus reel piece of content that flooded the license storage on the media block.

We have started using the term "keypocalypse" as a description of when (usually) Fox sends out keys to a theater for absolutely every version of their 2D/3D/5.1/7.1/CC/OC/EN/LAS features.

Marcial Feliciano Ramos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Email Marcial Feliciano Ramos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What LMS are you using?

Is this a cat862 based DSS200? Or is there an IMB in the projector?

Count the KDMs currently loaded. How many are in there?

What version of software are you using?

LMS - Cinedigm
Dolby DSS-200 - Internal Media Block (not in projector)
KDM - 12 (currently)
Version - 4.2.1.3 This is the only system that is in this version because the projector is a NEC 1600A. It was working well till the day a made the first post.

We still having the problem.

Here is a pic of the problem.
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: