Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 upgrade (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 upgrade
Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 03:36 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Can someone tell me what is the current software version for Dolby DSS200? Also i need your information how long it was take to get licenses for those upgrades in your case (one friend waited almost a month for this from Dolby)?

Alex

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2014 05:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current release software is 4.8.2 (23). I can only speak to the USA response times. During the week, I generally get KDMs same day and always within 24-hours.

KDMs can be requested via their Dolby Customer site if you are registered. I don't know if that is just for dealers or not but I suspect it will support most any level since they can still control what aspects are visible to each account.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 06:31 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tnx for this info Steve... Can you also tell me what are prerequisites for installation of version you have mentioned? Can i go straight to it from 4.3.5 (current one i have on this server)?

BR Alex

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-22-2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can, the upgrade package will install a pre-installation package on your cat. 862 (dolby will send two KDMs, you need to have both available) and then the final one.

Remember that from 4.4 onwards series 1 projectors not capable of TLS cinelink will NOT work. Check under Theatre Devices that your projector is currently in TLS mode. If it is, happy days. If it is not, you can force TLS via a script. If it does not work there may be some further actions that could make TLS to work but DO NOT upgrade till you see your current projector working with TLS because you CANNOT downgrade. You can then revert to Cinelink DH via the same script.

If it's a series 2, it will definitely work but make sure it's in TLS anyway.

When you change to TLS, you will need to power cycle everything, I had an instance where the system refused to handshake and it required several reboots. Bottom line: if TLS does not work, there's still hope but please do not upgrade until you can playback content on 4.3.5 in TLS mode.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 06:50 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tnx Marco... Good to know this info... I am currently upgrading projector to 4.1.1 (christie cp2220) because of TLS failure and network issues. At Saturday evening cinema i am servicing called me to inform me that there is no comm between dss200 and cp2220. Now i am playing with this problems.

Have you ever had similar situation that Ethernet port on Christie series 2 fails? I can not even ping it for some reason.

BR Alex

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-22-2014 07:26 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not 4.2.2?

The TCP connects by Ethernet to the rest of the projector. I can only think the internal router has failed and it's not routing the packets as it should - or the Ethernet has failed.
I cannot remember the internal IPs on top of my head, but if the TPC does not report any issue, I guess everything is in order from its point of view.
Did you try changing IP address?

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 07:28 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep... several different ip's have tried but no success... do you know what script should i run to force TLS?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-22-2014 07:51 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
linkencrypt.sh <MODE>

to enable TLS, type ./linkencrypt.sh TLS
to enable DH, type ./linkencrypt.sh DH

Then it may work straight away or may require a reboot - or several [Smile]

I cannot guarantee that your server won't pack up and refuse to play content for some obscure reason, but if you are off-screen anyway it may be worth a try.

However, I would first fix the IP issue. If you cannot ping the projector from the server, there is no point in updating the server.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2014 09:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with 4.3.5.9 on the Dolby if you aren't on a VPF program. No reason to go into DCI compliant waters.

Christie 4.2.2.2 is the gold standard you want to be using.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tnx Brad... i will do it as soon as i revive router components of projector... Everything was updated except this part.... and i am going nuts...

Can someone tell me what is correct procedure to reset PIB at Christie CP2220 to default settings?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2014 12:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not entirely true Brad...SMPTE support and various subtitling fixes occurred after 4.4.0 (DCI compliant)...So there are probably very valid reasons to move beyond 4.3.5 (9)...by far the most stable server software out there (probably of any brand). But you don't have a reason to move beyond...don't. That is a general statement to...not just for servers.

Without getting the projector communicating properly again...I wouldn't think of touching the server. I would unplug the Ethernet cable from it and try talking directly to the projector to rule out other networking problems. Also, though you will need Marriage privileges to reset it, I would also try reseating the PIB and ICP modules. Make sure you can clear a marriage tamper before you do this though.

-Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2014 12:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
4.3.5.9 has yet to give me a lick of SMPTE trouble.

And subtitles don't matter if the cinema doesn't use them.

Still it's good overall advice...don't upgrade unless there is a specific need.

Aleksandar Obradovic
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Aleksandar Obradovic   Email Aleksandar Obradovic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Actual problem is that projector can not communicate over IP. Not just with server but with every other IP enabled device (like laptop). That is the reason why i am considering sw update of server also.

BTW how can i reset PIB board? I am having trouble with projector upgrades (router sysfs and kernel refuse to upgrade) and i am thinking to reset PIB and then do everything from begining.

Alex

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-22-2014 02:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Aleksandar is from Serbia, they may use subtitles there! Not everybody speaks English.

Aleksandar,
if your projector is broken, upgrading the server won't help. If you cannot ping the projector and the PIB is refusing to upgrade, then you may need a new PIB.
Others will be more helpful than me with Christie, I know there are several options on the update page, you can force a specific version and maybe you can also factory default, but I've never tried those options myself.
If the components are refusing to update, there is a chance you need a new PIB. I would get in touch with Christie and ask them. But I would not update the Dolby because of that problem.

Have you reseated the boards?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco,

Obviously the current server software is not causing him any subtitling issues if you read his comments above.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: