Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » JBL 5628

Author Topic: JBL 5628
Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-16-2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I missed something, JBL have released a new hi-power sub. 2x18" for 4000W pink noise power. Similar to the QSC 15121.

link

Has anybody put their hands on one of those beasts?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-16-2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! I gotta try some of those....

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man Id love to try this sub out! [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-17-2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is the box they have them in really is tuned to 22Hz or so...I don't know the T-S of the drivers to know how low they can go. They definitely have power.

Note, you can also use the 5739 as a subwoofer. It is the same box as the 5628 and the 4642A but with the 2242HPL drivers (same driver as in the 4645C).

I'll admit I'm a bit interested in the 5628. Please note, it is NOT very efficient...looks like only a 95dB box.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2014 01:00 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it uses the 2269 driver which has been in use for years in JBL Vertec touring systems.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 02:48 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Steve, I noticed that too. Only 95dB, the 4242A is 100dB, doesn't that mean that the two units are very similar in the end in terms of SPL at max power? The 5628 is definitely flatter, maybe that's the main advantage?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-17-2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to get a 4642A flat down to 22Hz without much effort so it would seem that one is putting in a LOT more power to use the beefier drivers.

I'd use the 5739 myself. It is going to be better on the bottom end that the 4642A, and more efficient than the 5628 such that it should top out at a greater SPL AND have as much bottom end since the box is going to limit you down to 22Hz anyway.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, correct me if I'm mistaken, the 4642A is not very flat out of the box which means you'll need some EQ which is going to eat up some power. The 5628 seems flatter and less EQ may be needed.

I was also considering that the 4642A is outputting 100dB with 1W, the 5628 needs almost 4W to output the same SPL. If I am not saying rubbish, at the end of the day the 5628 outputs the same SPL the 4642A does but needs 4x (-ish) power. I must be mistaken, what am I missing here?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: