Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » laser projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: laser projection
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-16-2014 06:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest issue of cinema technology magazine has a special on laser projection and two articles on Barcos and Christies solutions.

There is still little known about the new IMAX laser projection system. For a while I thought it would just be something like a customized version of Barcos 6P projector, but what I heard now is that they are using a very different approach, again with overlaying different spatial resolutions, similiar to their initial 2*2k solution. They also boast a higher contrast range than achievable with 'ordinary' DLP laser projectors, towards an 8000:1 number. So it seems Barco is selling a more or less 'conventional' DLP light-engine based system in the DP4K-60L, but developed a special IMAX system based on the KODAK IP that IMAX aquired years ago.

http://www.cinematechnologymagazine.com/

BTW - This emag reader is crap, and it doesn't work on iOS devices (flash). But on a conventional desktop machine, you can call up the 'save' dialog on the upper navigation menu of the emag reader - this will allow you to save individual pages or the complete edition in PDF format.

If you receive KDM emails from MotionPictureSolutions - they will include a link to your KDM download portal - and this also has a tab 'Cinema Tech Magazine' - which will allow to download the current and previous editions, without the registration necessary for the CTM own site.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-16-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read the article, because the Flash applet crashed on me...

But what I've read and heard before is that their new system is supposed to be a "hybrid" system. They were using a conventional 2K projector, projecting a very soft image and used a sharp and detailed version of the image, projected with a 4K laser projector as overlay. Combined the image should look super-fantastic and mega extra bright.

As is broadly known, human vision is capable of resolving brightness and contrast at a far higher resolution than color. That aspect of human vision is also "abused" in practically all common image and video compression schemes and for me it feels IMAX is now also using it to cheap out.

Warning: What follows now might be pure fantasy, but from the very limited chunks of information that have been published, I constructed my own tale:

IMAX essentially offers joint ventures with theater owners. In essence, IMAX doesn't sell you the equipment, you rent it from them. IMAX is, to some extent, also on the hook for upgrades and especially if they already promised you projectors with frickin' attached to it, they might be actually required to put those things in there.

So, instead of having to replace BOTH projectors with mega-expensive laser projectors, they created some kind of Frankenprojector hybrid, using one existing projector and one, new 4K laser projector.

The end result will be a sharper and brighter picture than before, although it will obviously not beat a dual laser projector configuration.

But as we know already, they've become specialized in smoke and mirrors.

One of the biggest issues with this story is how they're going to do 3D with such a system. Right now, the only systems supported by laser projection systems are dual projector Dolby/Infinitec solutions using 6 primaries or shutter glasses.

Digital IMAX uses linear polarization and that's not going to fly with anything laser. So, what are they going to use for their "laser 3D"?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polarization works with laser projectors (even with the new 6P machines), but the benefit of using spectral separation is just higher. I think the first Kodak 'near-ready' laserprojector was built to use polarization.

I think IMAX didn't spent too much into their polarization systems that would make them stick to it - the screen could stay, it would add brightness even to a spectral separation system, the glasses are no big deal. However, getting the very large IMAX screens installed and metal-painted on location is probably very costly for new installs, so I guess they would be happy to switch the 3D system to one without a silver screen needed.

Remains to be seen what they actually do. I heard they would open a few premiere laser locations with the Hobbit III, but haven't heard wether they actually managed to finish them in time.

BTW - the real-world efficiency for the LIP spectral separation is not as good as one would think - Barco says it is on par with RealD XL, so, around 25% or something. That is still a boost for spectral separation, especially with projector power of 60.000+ lumens, but it's not actually blowing away the competition.

Still, especially with the move to higher 3D luminance, the stereo-separation is much better. I would think that polarization systems have a hard time at 14fL with respect to ghosting. And the screen is the limiting factor, little room for improvement there.

- Carsten

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2014 06:58 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seattle Cinerama is now using a laser projector.

www.cinerama.com

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that's just regular lasers, not lasers with frickin' IMAX sharks attached.

There are more regular lasers out there. Today the first permanent dual 6P laser setup in Europe will be opened for the public for example.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-17-2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure, but not absolutely certain, the projection systems for the two Grand Infinity auditoriums at the Broken Arrow Warren theater opening next week in Broken Arrow, OK are Christie 6P laser models.

Warren's web site claims they'll have the first two 4K laser projection systems running in the US even though the Seattle Cinerama theater and Moody Gardens MGD screen have laser systems that went into operation recently

Here's a rather unique thing about Warren's Grand Infinity screens. They have a deep curve to them, kind of like an old D-150 screen. It made me think of the old UA Continental in Denver before UA fucked it up.

Christie's web site mentions "single head" and "dual head" 6P laser projector models. What is that exactly? The dual head 6P models used with Dolby 3D are twice as efficient in light output as the best 3D systems available today. If I read it correctly Christie seemed to say Dolby Cinema would use a dual projector, dual head 6P system. Is that right? Four heads?

Anyway, if IMAX is really going to Frankenstein a single 4K laser projector together with an existing 2K DLP projector they're liable to get beat up on seriously, further trashing their brand name and creating more opportunities for Dolby and others to take market away from them.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 07:56 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Polarization works with laser projectors (even with the new 6P machines), but the benefit of using spectral separation is just higher. I think the first Kodak 'near-ready' laserprojector was built to use polarization.
From what I've read, standard absorptive polarizers are rather inefficient, because most laser sources are already highly polarized. A solution like RealD XL, which does not only absorb, but changes polarization might be more efficient though.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-17-2014 08:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Christie single-head laserprojector would be used e.g. for 2D only, or with alternating L/R stereo systems - e.g. Xpand or Volfoni.

I think for most venues, the Christie twin-head 6p machine will be used. I don't think four-head systems will be used anywhere, as the dual-head machines are very bright anyway.

Christie single-head/projector would only be 3P I think. In theory they could build a time-multiplex system with a single light-engine fed from 2*3P lasers. Which would make it similar to the Barco approach. Maybe later when cost has to come down for a larger market.

Funny, only when you read the article in CTM about the Barco DP4K-60L projector, you will learn that it DOES include the laser light sources and seemingly offers a one-box package - but then you notice six(SIX!) thick cooling tubes running to a huge cooling rack in the background. So, after all, the needed real estate is similar to the Christie 6P solution with the remote fiber coupled laser rack - just that the 'tubes' leading to the projector head(s) are a lot thinner ;-)

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-18-2014 08:07 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX laser is running to the public at Toronto Scotiabank. It is a dual projector system with Dolby type color separation glasses, not polarized.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could well be that these are just 'standard' Barco DP4k-60l installs?!

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-19-2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-19-2014 08:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the new IMAX laser systems are not single projector systems it seems.

- Carsten

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2014 09:17 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave is correct, the new glasses and the system uses a number of Dolby Technologies. The Dolby 3D logo is listed with the IMAX brand name for everyone who attends an IMAX laser presentation to see.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-22-2014 05:40 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay was the last to post
No.
And what, besides the IMAX label, makes it so special compared to the standard install?

quote:
Funny, only when you read the article in CTM about the Barco DP4K-60L projector, you will learn that it DOES include the laser light sources and seemingly offers a one-box package - but then you notice six(SIX!) thick cooling tubes running to a huge cooling rack in the background. So, after all, the needed real estate is similar to the Christie 6P solution with the remote fiber coupled laser rack - just that the 'tubes' leading to the projector head(s) are a lot thinner ;-)
Yeah, the Barco DP4K-60L also uses external light sources. Having seen both the current Barco and Christie laser projectors, I don't understand why the Barco machine is such a bulky beast, given the fact that both use external light sources fed trough fibers.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2014 08:38 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
when you read the article in CTM about the Barco DP4K-60L projector, you will learn that it DOES include the laser light sources and seemingly offers a one-box package
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Yeah, the Barco DP4K-60L also uses external light sources.
quote:
the DP4K-60L features a fully integrated system with unified laser light sources that are housed inside the projector, ensuring high durability and system efficiency.
(Barco)

[Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: