Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Charging a GORE Board (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Charging a GORE Board
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in need of a method of charging a GORE board outside of a projector for the purposes of long term storage. I'm assuming that the leads that extend out of the security enclosure are for this very purpose but I'm wondering what sort of charger should be applied and for how long in a stretch. Does anyone have any sagely wisdom on how this should be done?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not supposed to know how this thing works, so don't expect any reliable information. What you're doing is at your own risk...

As far as I know, those three wires are for standby power, so the board is still getting power even if the bus isn't powered. So, if you feed it with power via this way, you should be fine.

It's probably just +12V on the red one and the black one being the ground. But the presence of a yellow signal wire potentially complicates matters further. Even if you figure out the correct voltage, you might still need to figure out if it's doing something semi-intelligent using that signal wire...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that that is a secret, if you enquire the manufacturer they should be happy to help. That lead is indeed for charging the board.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco makes their absurdly priced recharging "kit" for the Enigma and Gore board (same kit). It is just a 5V regulated power cube with suitable ends to charge up to 5 boards (in any combination) at a time.

I haven't charged a GORE board but on the Enigma, it is a 48-hour process. One thing I hate about all of it aside from having to charge them in the first place) is you never know if it really charged it or not...there is no "meter" or LED to let you know that you've even plugged them in...you just hope that you've done it properly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-13-2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that USL has a better solution for this problem...

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-13-2014 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USL has a board that allows one to plug in an SDI board with the Enigma attached so you are powering the SDI board and the Enigma. Not a bit idea but we do keep several charging in at once.

I'm sure the USL solution is A LOT cheaper than Barco's. Of course, you could always make your own if you find the proper connectors.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-13-2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know Barco actually sells "recharge kits". Like any accessory equipment Barco produces, it just has to be horrendously expensive [Wink] .

I think the connector is a 3-pin JST SM connector. They're quite common and can be bought from many on-line shops. (Both the plugs and the receptacles.)

Still, to create something yourself, you should know how the signalling on the yellow wire works, if there is any signalling off course.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Everyone. One thought I had with the red and yellow wires was possibly a dual voltage input but if Barco's charger is 5v only then I suspect that it's likely a prebuilt harness and one wire is simply not used. I'll run these options up the flag pole and see what we're going to do. Cheers.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-15-2014 07:57 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sometimes it's just multiple voltages, but if it's only to keep the battery leveled, it wouldn't make much sense.

Let us know what the end result is anyway [Wink] .

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone found out for sure if one can charge a GORE board outside the projector using the 3 wire connector?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-17-2015 07:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, the USL EP-100 board is very reasonably priced, I don't think it makes sense to build your own for such a single need.

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-17-2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco charger kit has a ratsnest of wires, with connectors for both the Enigma and the "gore" board. So, presumably, it will charge or maintain them. Thus any 5V supply should do..

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-17-2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian DeCiancio
Has anyone found out for sure if one can charge a GORE board outside the projector using the 3 wire connector?
Yes you can...based on the Barco charger, it is the first and third terminals that are used. Pin 1 is positive and Pin 3 is negative.

The USL charger will not work on a GORE board. It presumes the same edge connector that an IMB would use, not the GORE board.

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2015 07:50 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys.

Sorry, but which wire is considered "pin 1"?

A 5V charger will do the trick?

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke with USL and came to find out that the EP-100 charging device is designed for Series 2 enigma/GORE boards only.

They will not work as designed for Series 1.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: