Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New Philips Lamp not reaching full power in Barco DP2K-15C projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Philips Lamp not reaching full power in Barco DP2K-15C projector
Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having an issue with a new lamp I installed today and was wondering if anyone has run into something similar. I installed a 3k Philips Helios lamp (XDC-3000BH) in my Barco DP2k-15C projector and although the lamp strikes and everything seems fine as far as indicator lights are concerned, I am only getting a 2.6k power reading from the lamp. I can change the power rating by moving the Z-axis, but 2.6 is as high as I can get it, I can bring it down to 2.3 by moving it forward.

Can anyone think of a reason why the lamp won't run at full power? I'm only getting about 7 foot lamberts and I can normally get up to 12 with a new lamp(we were using Osram lamps before but we switched because they were all failing between 800-1000 hours, this is our first Philips)

|  IP: Logged

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you certain you selected the correct model of lamp when resetting the lamp hours in Communicator? The LPS will only provide the range of current for the lamp programmed.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uhm... the z-axis? The power level is a slider on the communicator which goes from 0 to 255. Disable the CLO and set the slider to 255 and see.

That said, i believe you should check the current and the voltage (which is not shown). The lamp may offer a slightly different resistance and as a consequence your wattage may be lower, but you should see the proper current. Check on the card inside the lamp and divide the current over the minimum voltage allowed, you should get a figure similar to what you see on the communicator. I've seen that before with a different brand.

I am not 100% sure of the above, so please feel free to insult me [Smile]

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no you are quite right, moving the x/y/z axis on the lamp will only adjust the focusing of the light onto the integrator rod via the cold mirror. It wont adjust the actual power going into the lamp

EDIT: focusing the lamp will adjust lamp power if the CLO is enabled as the system tries to compensate with more or less power to maintain a consistent luminance, but it will only adjust it within the range set by the programmed lamp that it thinks is in the machine

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:23 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I chose the XDC-3000B option when changing the lamp, it did not have a BH option available. Where can I check if CLO is enabled? I'm positive that moving the z-axis changes the power rating on the communicator software, maybe CLO got enabled when I changed over to a different lamp type than we were using?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 03:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, then your CLO is enabled. The projector is adjusting the current to achieve the light which has been set as a target. Adjusting the Z-axis you are reducing/increasing the light and the projector adjusts to compensate.

INSTALLATION-LAMP-LIGHT OUTPUT (by memory).

Disable CLO and crank it up [Smile]

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:29 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And once you found your target, remember to set that in all applicable presets. at the very least you will need to do the same for all your flat/scope presets

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:36 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just checked and CLO is not enabled. I enabled it and tried changing the Z-axis and it is acting exactly the same. I am running at 100 amps and voltage is
++12 = 12
+24 = 24
pump = 19
tec = 12

At this point I'm guessing it is due to this being a Helios lamp, even though It says this projector is supported. I can run like this for a bit, but unfortunately I'll probably have to pull this lamp the moment it starts getting darker.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 04:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What software versions are in the projector? New lamp data is part of the software updates. Really old versions have no listing for many popular lamps - Barco couldn't make up lamp data for lamps yet to be introduced.
You do not adjust lamp power using the lamphouse focus adjustments. If the unit is in CLO then the power will change as the projector tries to maintain image brightness... but with the unit in "standard" lamp power control, moving the lamphouse focus will not change lamp power.
The Communicator software for touchpanel or PC will turn CLO off when you open "lamp alignment" (and pops up a window telling you about it) - very old versions will not do that. trying a lamp alignment with CLO active is not fun.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 04:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan,

Did you read my and Gavin's posts?

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector is acting the same with or without CLO enabled, moving the Z-axis changes the power reading. The projector is running software version 1.11.136, I think it was updated last march or april.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 12:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's up to 1.14 now.

Philips are the worst bulbs to use in a BARCO hands down.

USHIO DXL-30BAF/L bulbs are the ones to use in that 15C projector.

Bet the light reading sensor isn't doing its thing too well if one get those low readings.

When I do bulbs in a BARCO (I have 15 BARCOS to mess with - from two 12C up to two 32B units), I do focus first to get a high number, then the two lateral adjustments to see if I can squeeze out any more, then I do it over again just to eke out a bit more light.

You can easily check to see if you got the right bulb when looking at the bulb info in the "install" section of the menu.

(Course, when I had a few bad light output sensors, I would do the focus the old fashioned way by running the white screen test pattern and do the alignment optically for the brightest light on the screen).

-Monte

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.12, Monte.

I can't see how adjusting the Z-axis with CLO disabled can change your power reading.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2014 06:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco currently does not have the XDC-3000BH lamp (even in 1.12.160). The parameters are NOT the same as the XDC-3000B). The voltage of the BH is lower and the maximum current is higher. So, until Barco issues such a lamp file in the next software update, you would need to create your own. However, it might be worth checking with Barco's tech support to see if they have a lamp file that can be put into your projectors (who knows, even Philips may have made one...they would know its parameters).

If making your own, you would need to be able to edit an existing file, I'd start with the standard 3000B and change the current max to 110, nominal current to 100, the maximum run time to 4320000 (seconds), the run time message to 4233600 seconds, run time warning 4320000, run time shutdown 43200000 (always 10X warranty life to ensure you can run it to whatever time you want though I don't know of any lamp that will make it 10X).

You'd also have to change the article number (and put in its proper name). The article number CAN'T be of the same number that Barco would use. You HAVE to start your article number with R103. So you could create R1039284168, for example (I picked the ordering code to keep it unique). I don't believe you can have any letters in the name after the "R103"

Then, after you've gotten all frustrated with the Philips...come on over to Ushio! You'll get your hours AND your light!

Out of curiosity...what size screen do you have and do you know the gain? Do you happen to know, for sure, if the CLO was calibrated so you have any reasonable expectations that its number means anything? It would need to be calibrated for each lens position (and format, if you are doing 3D).

However, it sounds like from the posts above that you are struggling to just figure out how to operate the projector/communicator first. By moving the "Z" axis...are you doing that with communicator? Do you REALLY have motorized lamp controls (very few do). Or are you manually focusing the lamp? And why would you think that is the proper way to adjust the current?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-13-2014 06:22 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the latest Philips lamp file for Barco up to 1.12 is on the Philips website. That should be an official lamp file, I'd give it a go. Not sure if the BH is in the list.

Philips lamp file

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: