Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC900C lens types

Author Topic: NEC NC900C lens types
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 07:01 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This NEC datasheet for the NC900C lists two types of lenses 'Z' and 'ZM'.

http://www.nec-pj.com/cat_data/pj/WDPJ-1307-583NN.pdf

Yes, the zoom ranges are different, but as both appear to be motorized, why do they offer these two series separately?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 07:14 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess for screens that don't change picture size for flat and scope? The ZM has memory, the Z doesn't.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 08:00 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops. Motorized, but no memory?

- Carsten

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. I just looked at the sheet. It doesn't mention memory. All the other sheet I've seen say "Z" series without memory and "ZM" series with memory. Also, they have a nice little lens calculator which also states the different types.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard is correct, the Z does not allow the memory function in the projector, the ZM does.
Also, you may now start to come across ZM-1 lenses. These are for both the NC-900 and the NC-1100L laser projector.
The NC-900 and NC-1100L essentially share the same lenses, however there are a couple of lenses that are not suitable for the 1100, so ZM-1 lenses are for both NC-900 and NC-1100, whereas ZM lenses are for NC-900 only.

The NC-1100 has a slight modification to the lens mount.
The ZM-1 lenses have a corresponding modification.
The result is a ZM can not not physically be installed into the NC-1100 projector, but a ZM-1 can be installed into either projector.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 08:03 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were no zoom presets on the NC-900's the first four months of sales because the memory lenses were not ready yet. The projector was. NEC supplied the memory lenses to retrofit into all those projectors. You also had to use a special program to upload the memory program for the new lenses once it became available. That is no longer necessary and I'm not sure why they'd bother to offer both styles of lenses any more.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: