Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cat 862 clock set to 6/30/2008 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cat 862 clock set to 6/30/2008
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2014 08:44 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre I service had the experience that one day the date on there DSS 200 at boot-up was was 6/30/2008. This was the secure clock on the cat 862. Rebooting did not solve the problem. The keys all said one has to wait 6 years to play the feature. I suspect the battery that powers the secure clock died and that 6/30/2008 is the default date. This location fully powers down and powers up the next day. Any thoughts out there.

|  IP: Logged

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 03:04 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should contact Dolby support, I think. Mediablock has a certain limitations, and it's needed a root access to set the clock.
And I think there are limits of how many times you can change the clock, if it you need to set it to more than 2hours interval.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 03:35 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to DCI specs, you cannot adjust the media block clock for more than 15 minutes a YEAR in either direction. Your Cat 862 is toast, with the gentle greetings of the Copyright Police. You'll need intervention by Dolby to get it fixed, this is also by design.

Entirely powering down your server, as in getting rid of standby power is a bad idea, since your media block will now rely entirely on backup battery power. Once this dies, you're out of luck.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 06:09 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Cat862s secure clock battery rechargeable (ie, it recharges when powered by the server during normal use) or is it a Lithium cell that will eventually fail?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 06:56 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not rechargable, it's a simple CR/BR type lithium-button cell.

It is wise to replace it in time, when there is some idle time or maintenance being done on the server, e.g. after 3-5 years. They cost only 1-2 US$.

- Carsten

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks carsten, ill schedule that for next years service (it will be 3 years old then)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 07:31 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My previous post also contained an error, the maximum offset per year according to DCI specs is just 6 years.

GDC can and will, in some cases, fix those kind of date issues remotely. But Dolby will not do this, neither for their Dolby products and their Doremi products.

Those batteries usually do not fail spontaneously though, you should get log entries about potentially failing batteries. Doremi even has a fixed built-in timer, after 5 years, you're supposed to replace the main battery.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
My previous post also contained an error, the maximum offset per year according to DCI specs is just 6 years.
Good you put this right ;-)

It's +/- 6min per calender year, so with a clear drift tendency, a max of 12min. And if you're forehanded, you can shift 12min on a 12/31 and another 12min on the following 01/01.

Doremi servers also output warnings towards battery life, based on a fixed timer. Don't know if the Dolby also does that and wether it has been ignored in this case.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I did is get in touch with Dolby tech support. Getting a cat 862 is another story. They are out of production and Dolby no longer exchanges boards out of warranty. They will fix yours if you have the time to wait. Solution here is going to be to get a cat 745 and put it in another screen that has a series 2 projector and move the cat 862 to this screen with a series 1. A fun time will be had tomorrow with the 4 hour drive in each direction.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they no longer making conventional (non IMB) DSS200's?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 08:24 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The non-IMB versions of the DSS200 are indeed end of sale.

I didn't know though that they even don't have any Cat 862 spares at hand nowadays for out of warranty service calls.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-11-2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice support. It's just going off sale and a critical part is no longer available for repair / exchange? I had to replace my 862 last June. I am experimenting with an old DSS/DSP 100 as a spare. (Even less support but it would only be for emergency use.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-12-2014 05:46 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, your mighty expensive cinema gear now entered the realm of IT equipment... Going from End-of-Sale to End-of-Support in a handful of years. It's especially frustrating if you bought your gear at the end of the sale/support cycle.

The fact that the market will surely see some more consolidation (Dolby buying Doremi for example is the first sign of this), will also not help.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Dolby has a 3-year warranty (with an option to purchase up to two additional years) on their DCinema servers, there would be still support for anyone buying on/at the end-of-sale point. I'll admit, Dolby was rather abrupt with the end of sale on the CAT862. They introduced the DSS200-6 last fall, continued to have it in the spring of 2014 but by September 2014, they were effectively sold-out of it and on the November 2014 it and the CAT862 as a spare part were off the price sheets. No doubt, they are keeping the remaining CAT862s as insurance that they can support the last DSS200-6 for the next 3-years (to 5-years if you purchased the extended warranty).

Of the big server companies in the USA market, Doremi (the other Dolby) is the last one that supports series 1/HDSDI type mediablocks. In fact, they are still on the new Dolby price list. Whereas we are now 5-years since the last Series 1 projector was made, there is going to be an increasing lack of support for them since all series 2 projectors can take the IMB/IMS solutions. Which is cool since TI finally has their software for the Enigma finally fixed for the series 2 projectors [Roll Eyes]

I definitely see the day where people play musical servers of rotating IMB systems in to series 2 projectors to free up HDSDI servers for their series 1 machines. Then again, as some Series 1 projectors are now a full 10-years old, I also see that they will start to be retired when a catastrophic failure occurs or as manufacturers pull support for them.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know Dolby only has a 1 year hardware warranty. Two year on software upgrades. Extended warranty are available for a fee. Also Christie only has a 1 year warranty on accessories. Like lenses. I know a place that has a problem with the zoom binding up on a cp2220. It is not the usual motor alinement problems. Just the zoom adjustment getting to stiff for the motor. Projector is a little over a year old. They will have to buy a new lens to fix or just do the adjustment manual by turning by hand. This is a single screen. Not the end of the world.

Back to the cat 862. The batteries are not easily field replaceable. They are welded/soldered in.

Yesterday I was doing what someone else mentioned. Putting an IMB in a series 2 screen and moving the good cat 862 to the series 1 screen with the bad secure clock. Ran into an interesting problem. The cat 862 with the bad secure clock set the system clock to June 30, 2008. The good 862 when it saw this said to itself that the dss 200's certificates were not valid and would not connect. Solution is to go into the bios at boot-up and set the system clock to the correct time and date. Dolby tech support was not aware of this issue. They had me doing unconfig and reconfiging and ultimately a clean install. None of which worked. Setting the system clock did

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: