Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » wow first nc900 lamp made it to warranty (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: wow first nc900 lamp made it to warranty
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-10-2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow we have had probably our first pair of NEC 900c lamps make it to the end of their warranty period not the usual bang at 250-300 hrs

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-10-2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know when these bulbs had been installed? Do you know at what current/% rating they have been run?

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-13-2014 04:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had quite a few make it to 3K hours.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-13-2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had zero make it thus far but we were not the first putting in the NC900.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2014 05:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had one get to about 1750 before blowing...still at zero making it the distance.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2014 04:03 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the warranty on these bulbs

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2014 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposed to be 3000-hours.

Frank A Cianciolo
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2014 07:48 PM      Profile for Frank A Cianciolo   Author's Homepage   Email Frank A Cianciolo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my NEC 900 for a year - both bulbs have blown - the first at 600 hrs, the second at 900. Strong claims to have not received my first bulb, so I never got any credit for it blowing early - and I am just shipping them the second, keeping note of the tracking number this time!

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2014 08:50 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks steve for the imfo, i service a theatre in foley, mn ,that i installed 3 of the nec 900. i have 1 screen burning both bulbs at 100%, the other 2 screens 1 bulb at 80%, they`ve been in for a little over a year, just over a 1000hrs still good light .

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2014 09:40 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear. I'm putting more and more of these in.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-27-2014 10:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if you are only burning one lamp...what is the other lamp doing? Unless there has been a software change I'm unaware about, if the one you are using burns out, nothing will bring the other on line. Furthermore, the software isn't smart enough to even rotate the life of them (e.g. alternate which lamp gets lit to keep the hours about even).

Aside for the dramatic color shift when setting the lamp levels, I've noted a bit of a "gap" between the light level of both lamps at minimum versus one lamp at maximum.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-29-2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note...it is important to be in NEC's 4.214 (or 4.215) for extended lamp life. They changed how the lamp shuts down so it doesn't cool too fast. They determined that the lamps were cooling too fast and causing problems. Starting on 4.214, the lamps first drop to 75% of power for 5 seconds then they go off. There is a Service Bulletin on this PJ-14-013-00-E

It notes that the newer ballasts also have an improved method of controlling the lamp to improve life. However, it is a hardware update, not software (new ballasts and ballast firmware 0207 instead of the older ballast and firmware 0204).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-29-2014 05:37 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that most reports of blown 330W/350W bulbs for the NC900C and the Sony 515/510 (more or less identical bulbs) went with lamps running at LOW operating currents. There are no official statistics, but I know a lot of cinemas having had issues with the 330W lamps in the Sonys had problems with early lamp failure while running the lamps at 80%. And the problem went away when they started to run them at 90% or more. So I'm wondering how this relates to this scheme of running the lamps at 75% before powering off in order to prevent lamp failure due to 'overcooling'. Also, the Sony 450W bulbs do not suffer from this issue.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-29-2014 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They only run them at 75% for 5 seconds...what they found, from what I read, is that it was thermally shocking the lamp to cool it too fast...so they step it down rather than just kill it. There is a chart in the bulletin showing the increased lamp life and what the cool down rate is before 4.214 and after.

I'll say this...the lamps that I have blow are running on 4.214 though not for their entire life.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-29-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still having failures at 600hrs approximately

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: