Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Make KDM for encrypted DCP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Make KDM for encrypted DCP
Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 08:36 PM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I am coming again.
My question this time is about KDM.
I have made an encrypted DCP and an KDM made from the CPL file.
But when i deliver the DCP,it will contain the CPL file.Does this mean anyone who get the CPL file can make KDM for their server?Or how the produser protect themselves? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 09:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To make a KDM you need the server certificate for the server you want to allow the encrypted CPL to play on.
The KDM is a very small file, it is not the movie data which must be delivered separately. A KDM is an encrypted key to allow only the server it was made for play the encrypted CPL for the time period you specify when you generate the KDM.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am supposed to be more "professional" than this but I am still giggling at "I am coming again."

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Pause giggling,James please. My English isn't well.Please help me.I am very confused.
During the process of make the kdm,the software ask me to choose the CPL file. Dose this mean anyone who got the encrypted DCP's CPL can make KDM for their server with the server's certification file?

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 04:45 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Qu
Dose this mean anyone who got the encrypted DCP's CPL can make KDM for their server with the server's certification file?
No. They would also need to know the key that was used to encrypt the picture and sound assets.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 05:25 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you need to dive into how this whole DCI and PKI encryption scheme works.

The simplified version:

- You encrypt your content with your own encryption key. Essentially, you encrypt all content related assets in the DCP, both audio and video.
- Your customer's server also has an encryption key stored in the media block, actually a private and a public key. The public key can be exported, the private key in the server remains private, even for the customer. It's protected by all kinds of security measures, so you cannot easily retrieve it from the media block.
- Your customer sends you their public key.
- Now you send them your key to the content via a KDM. But you do not send this key plain text, otherwise your customer could just get the key from the KDM and essentially do whatever they want with it. The key in your KDM is encrypted, using the public key from the server of your customer. This way, it can only be decrypted with the private key inside the media block in the server.

The media block, the protected part in the server, serves as content police and secure key vault. It's responsible for securely storing the server's private key, securely decrypting the content and also enforcing time limitations on the validity of the KDM.

A secure media block must be designed in such a way, that any tampering will essentially destroy the sensitive parts of the memory. It also keeps its own clock, which can only be adjusted within very limited time frames, this is to avoid somebody using the age old trick of resetting the clock to extend content/license validity.

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 05:35 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carl Hetherington
No. They would also need to know the key that was used to encrypt the picture and sound assets.
Oh, so where is the key stored?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 05:48 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The key is inside your KDM, but encrypted with the public key of the customer server. The KDM will only be decrypted by the secure media block, if the content is needed and your unencrypted key should only reside inside the protected memory of the media block, while the content is being used.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 05:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the machine that you used to create the DCP and KDM.

The KDM then will also store this key, naturally, but encrypted with the target servers certificate. So as long as you don't expose the key from your local machine, your DCP is safe.

Which software are you using?

- Carsten

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
On the machine that you used to create the DCP and KDM.

The KDM then will also store this key, naturally, but encrypted with the target servers certificate. So as long as you don't expose the key from your local machine, your DCP is safe.

Which software are you using?

Hi Carsten,I use DCP-o-matic,which is a free sofetware.I package the DCP with my PC,so the key is in my PC?But I didn't find any other files except the DCP fiLes.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 09:01 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCP O MATIC Automatic Download some Model Severs Certificates.
Any Doubts for dcp O matic Related please contact carl@dcpomatic.com

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 09:31 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, did you check the On-line documentation of DCP-o-matic?

quote:
The first part is simple: ticking the Encrypted box in the DCP tab of DCP-o-matic will encrypt the DCP using a random key that DCP-o-matic generates. The key will be written to the film's metadata file, which should be kept secure.
Source

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 10:11 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Michael, did you check the On-line documentation of DCP-o-matic?
More information in the documentation?Several mouths ago,I read the whole document, but this time,only the "KDM" part. I will check it for more.
quote: Marcel Birgelen
The simplified version:

- You encrypt your content with your own encryption key. Essentially, you encrypt all content related assets in the DCP, both audio and video.
- Your customer's server also has an encryption key stored in the media block, actually a private and a public key. The public key can be exported, the private key in the server remains private, even for the customer. It's protected by all kinds of security measures, so you cannot easily retrieve it from the media block.
- Your customer sends you their public key.
- Now you send them your key to the content via a KDM. But you do not send this key plain text, otherwise your customer could just get the key from the KDM and essentially do whatever they want with it. The key in your KDM is encrypted, using the public key from the server of your customer. This way, it can only be decrypted with the private key inside the media block in the server.

The media block, the protected part in the server, serves as content police and secure key vault. It's responsible for securely storing the server's private key, securely decrypting the content and also enforcing time limitations on the validity of the KDM.

A secure media block must be designed in such a way, that any tampering will essentially destroy the sensitive parts of the memory. It also keeps its own clock, which can only be adjusted within very limited time frames, this is to avoid somebody using the age old trick of resetting the clock to extend content/license validity.

Oh,this make me clear.I misunderstand the privite key as the key of the DCP Maker
[Frown]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-03-2014 10:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person that is to run your encrypted content will need to send YOU their "Certificate" and in particular the "PEM" file. You can then make a KDM for them using that PEM file and DCP O Matic. In this way, the content is always encrypted and will only run on the server(s) you authorize for the time periods you authorize. Follow the link to see the instructions. But your client must send you their Certificate/PEM file.

http://www.dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch07s02.html#fig-kdm

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-03-2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Qu
I package the DCP with my PC,so the key is in my PC?But I didn't find any other files except the DCP fiLes.
Michael - the 'raw' key that is used to encrypt the DCP, and which is used to create the KDM afterwards, is stored with the other project definition in the metadata.xml file. You can look it up there if you want.

So this stays safe on your computer, if you don't accidentally copy it with the DCP to a distribution drive. If you lose it, delete the project file/folder, etc., you will not be able to create another KDM for this particular DCP/CPL.
You would have to create the full DCP from scratch incl. encryption with a new key.

To create KDMs, you will first need to create a database of certificates/screen/theater references within DCP-o-matic. When creating a KDM for a specific screen, you will link this screens/servers certificate with the CPL you created, then either store the KDM file locally or set up an email chain to send it directly to the theater/projectionist.
This KDM is then only valid for that particular screen, and within the given time frame you set. DCP-o-matic will create this time frame based on your local machine timezone settings. So if you let the window start at 9am, this will be YOUR 9am. As long as your DCP doesn't cross timezones, you can ignore this.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: