Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HFR 3D with Dolby 3D wheel

Author Topic: HFR 3D with Dolby 3D wheel
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
I have a Barco 23B with Dolby 3D wheel and GDC Sx3000 IMB.

GDC says that sx3000 cand handle HFR, and i guess it should not be a problem on the Barco, but what about Dolby 3D wheel?
you guys think i can show the hobbit?
I ask to our installers but they didnt say anything.

thanks

Mike Moreno
Mexico

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-26-2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can.

It will do double flash at 192Hz for 48 FPS and single flash at 120Hz for 60 FPS.

Be sure to ask for the 48FPS DCP and corresponding keys though, it might not be automatically included.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-26-2014 11:44 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't hear anything about a Hobbit HFR qualification process this year. Will the distributors use last years database, or will now anyone receive a HFR DCP who requires one?

- Carsten

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2014 01:21 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys

Here in Mexico, at least for us the distributor are asking who´s ready for playing HFR hobbit feature.

mike Moreno
[beer]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-26-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the software is now stable enough to assume that if you have an IMB you can run HFR.
The only issue may be with Doremi IMB and the alternative FW joke, which is not there by default and disappears when some main FW upgrades are performed.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-26-2014 06:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have SX3000 units with Barco and played Hobbit RealD 3D HFR last year with no problems.

Just need your Barco system configured, like a macro assigned, as such for HFR.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-26-2014 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The added "fun" with a Barco and Dolby 3D is that the Dolby filter wheel does not auto-detect mode like with the DFC100 system. So it is essential that you have a macro for each 3D mode or your timing will be off. That is, you can't have a mixed show with conventional 24fps triple flash previews going into a 48fps double flash feature without also having a macro change.

Conversely, the DFC 100 can be set up for both modes and it will auto detect and sense the need to change the timing accordingly. Mind you, you'll be running 24fps stuff at double flash for that "film" look.

However, one can set up a Barco macro to JUST change the 3D mode...which is what I did for our Cinedigm site that ran Hobbit in HFR...all of the 24fps stuff (including 3D previews) will run in triple flash...and then with a simple macro will change mode on a 48fps "blank" clip. It actually happens quite seamlessly.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-27-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You indeed need a macro to change between 3D modes, or else it will look rather... fun. I've seen shows where this macro was placed wrong (before the feature trailer). Most of your patrons won't appreciate the strobe effect you're feeding them [Wink] .

Also, you should allow for a few seconds of delay between the switchover and the HFR feature, because the color wheel needs to adjust to the new rotation speed, unlike non-mechanical solutions like Z-Screens.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2014 10:30 AM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guy.

ill take a look on the macros.

Mike moreno
mexico

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: