Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Big Hero 6 pillarboxing?

Author Topic: Big Hero 6 pillarboxing?
Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2014 08:38 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended a screening of Big Hero 6 earlier today and I noticed some odd thing about the movie. It seemed to be pillarboxed throughout the entire film, from "Feast" to the very end. The aspect ratio looked roughly 2.2:1, about Frozen's aspect ratio on Blu-ray (Frozen was 2.4:1 in theaters). The scope trailers filled the entire width of the screen, but Big Hero, as well as the Tomorrowland trailer, was pillarboxed.

Another thing to note is that it was in 3D, so I was also wondering if the "floating window" was applied. That would make it the largest floating window I have seen in a 3D movie.

So tell me, are the 2D DCPs of Big Hero 6 pillarboxed also, or is this a 3D thing?

Cobb Village 12, Leesburg, VA
11/22/14 2:40pm
Theater #9

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2014 08:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed a 3-D thing and the 2-D version was the "normal" scope shape.

I was kind of surprised that there wasn't a note about this in the box, but we didn't get one at least.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2014 07:13 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's something with the 3-D.

We ran both the 2-D and 3-D versions at our new location that just opened the week BH6 came out.

It only did that on the 3-D version.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-26-2014 01:18 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D Big Hero 6 trailer gave me a scare yesterday. After going thorough the song and dance to get the screen files set up again on my projector, I played trailers in various formats to make sure that everything looks like it should.

Big Hero 6 was the first on the list of available 3D Scope trailers so I put it first on my test playlist. Well damn, the 3D Scope picture is too small and now I'll have to find out why. Then the next 3D Scope trailer on my list started playing and it fits like it's supposed to.

If I had played a different 3D Scope trailer first I would have avoided a few bad moments.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They likely had to limit the 3-D range because something either didn't work right in 3-D or the 3-D required may have been too much for our little brains. This is why many 3-D movies have their own framing chart supplied.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it using the "floating windows" thing? That would be a reason for pillarboxing or otherwise underscan.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-28-2014 04:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney has been actively using the "floating window" technique since somewhere in 2006 for many of their Disney 3-DŽ releases. If it was the floating window, you should be able to spot it quite easily, if your screen is properly masked. It's not a fixed thing, it is constantly moving, especially between cuts.

The effectiveness of the floating window can be debated, as it can also lead to annoyances. For some more information about how this floating window thing is supposed to work, you might want to check this* document.

* Yellow Warning Lights Enabled: PDF document ahead

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-28-2014 07:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere there is a Disney video geared for kids on the subject.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-29-2014 07:34 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're referring to this one? I remember it in better quality though [Wink] . And it's also not really geared to kids...

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2014 08:34 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seen Big Hero 6 in 3D the two weeks ago and a Starplex Cinemas and noticed the floating window. Although the theater had it masked to the point in which it was barely noticable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: