Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How to use a dolby dss200 with regular project (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to use a dolby dss200 with regular project
Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2014 03:51 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any one help?the project is not digital.I think the handshaking should be disabled,but don't know where to do. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-21-2014 05:28 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you, maybe, give a little bit more details about what you're trying to do?

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2014 03:21 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your reply

I have one Dolby Dss200 server and two NEC PX550W projects. I am trying
to use them to make a show room.But the server can't boot with the NEC project.
I have sent an email to Dolby, they say the server must be used with digital project.
So I come here for some advise.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 04:58 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your mixup between project and projector is a rather confusing one.

Also, your choice for a server is rather confusing. Your Dolby Server will not work like a normal media player, it is designed to be operated solely with DCI projectors. What kind of content do you want to play? If you just want to play, regular, non DCI content, why not just get an affordable media player?

If you do want to show encrypted DCI content, a proper DCI projector is not an option.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One might think that a DSS200 server will play non-encrypted content on any 2K video projector with 292 inputs.
One would be wrong.
The server must communicate with the security system of a digital cinema projector before it will play anything.
Your projector does not have the security system.
This will not show any content, period.
There is no work around: no publicly available system exists to bypass the security requirements.
Your only options are either to set the DSS200 aside and use a home theatre media player, or to get a D-Cinema projector with decryption engine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-24-2014 11:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
One might think that a DSS200 server will play non-encrypted content on any 2K video projector with 292 inputs.
One would be wrong.

I believe you would be wrong there. The DSS200 can have its linkencryption turned off. Once it is off, you'll see that it is always ready to play content (except encrypted content).

You'll need Administrator privileges to set the linkencypt mode on the command line interface (CLI).

./linkencrypt.sh OFF

Is the command. As above but with TLS will turn it back on.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving encryption aside - which server will start playing/continue to play without communication to the projector it is set up with? I know a Doremi will, giving 'lost communication with projector' warnings e.g. if you unplug the network cable.

The HD-SDI is not the problem, but the expectation of the server to find a projector on it's network interface.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as Steve says, when you disable the link encryption, the transport controls become immediately available and you can play to any HDSDI input with no warnings or errors. The server is not looking for a projector anymore.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure if it will not log an error somewhere, but if you disable link encryption entirely, you will be able to play content via HD-SDI even if you do not have a projector connected to it. I've never seen it being done with a non-DCI projector though.

Furthermore, the usage of such a server for media playback other than cinema content is usually not the best choice and also rather expensive. You're still quite limited in what content you can play. If you want to play content timed to some external triggers or a schedule for example, you might as well invest in a more "industrial" media player.

Edit: Marco essentially beat me to it, sorry for the duplication of information. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 04:37 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mentioned projector does not feature HD-SDI inputs, so one would need converters to e.g. HDMI. Then I wouldn't be sure wether the HDMI inputs could track 2048/1080 signals over HDMI. Left alone 12Bit SMPTE 372M Dual Link HD-SDI. There are certainly converters available capable of this, but it wouldn't make much sense as they could easily cost as much as the Dolby server.

I think it's better to leave out the Dolby server and use a software DCP player application. Makes no difference as the application will not support encrypted DCPs anyway. In fact, the software player would rather offer that possibility than the Dolby would with these projectors, as some software players support encrypted DCPs if the key issuer accepts the players certificate.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-24-2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to that, if you can choose, why would you even want to cope with the added complexities of DCPs?

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2014 08:33 PM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all you replies.
To Steve:
I have only config the network of dss200,but no anymore.so what is administrator's username and password?How to shift to command line window?Ctrl+Shift+F1?
To Carsten and Marcel:
the show room is a platform where we test the film and DCP package before we deliver it to all consumer, so we really need a digital server.We used to use Quvis player, but it is too expensive as the dolby price goes down.
My English is not so well,so I hope you can understand. [beer]

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-28-2014 02:33 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The default password of the administrator is  - , but if this has been changed, the easiest way to password recover the whole thing is to reinstall it from the installation media.

Did you also look at the note from Carsten? Your projector doesn't seem to have an HD-SDI input. How are you planning to go from HD-SDI to e.g. DVI or something analog like RGBHV/VGA? You need also something that will support SMPTE 372M.

[ 11-28-2014, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Michael Qu
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael Qu   Email Michael Qu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcel,yeah,i notice that.I already have two HD-SDI TO DVI
converters. Thanks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-28-2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, really??? Don't give out root and administrator passwords on a public forum like this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: