Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » VNC Help NEC NC900 GDC SX-3000 server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: VNC Help NEC NC900 GDC SX-3000 server
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our installing technician kept showing me this VNC program that he used to access macro settings like flat and scope. These systems aren't networked but he said I could plug my laptop into the switch and access these macro settings with the VNC. He showed me how to do what I need once I can get there and I understood it. The getting there was a little over my head. Even more so now that a couple weeks have passed. Can anyone help me with a step by step on how to access the screen where those flat and scope settings can be viewed and new settings made?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know why VNC was needed for these formats. The NEC has it's own web-interface and you can access all configured formats directly on the projector, and more.

The GDC will have a VNC option two, not only for calling format macros, but full remote control of the server.

What is your current situation, do you have a VNC client installed on a notebook? Is there a connection preset available towards the GDC? How far into it did the tech help you?

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 06:37 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VNC is a generic protocol allows you to take over the screen, keyboard and mouse of a remote machine/server. You connect to it using a client which you can install on your notebook or desktop computer. What you need to connect is the correct address/IP number and the login credentials.

Once you're logged in, you're directly connected to the (virtual) screen of the server/IMB.

But have you actually checked the User Manual of the GDC IMB yet?

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only know the very end stages. Maybe it will help if I explain what I need to do. At the moment I have 5 formats. Flat scope 3d. Flat/scope and hdmi. HDMI is a different setting because it uses a different color scheme. I need a 3d hdmi. A 3D blu ray will work with our active 3d system from be media. We do lots of church and school gatherings. As soon as I said 3D was an option they were all over it. I just need to set it up. The tech showed me a drop down menu where I could select the different formats and make changes. He showed me how to add the 3d settings to the hdmi macro then click save as to create the 3d hdmi setting. I just don't know how to get to that menu where I can select view and edit those settings. I thought I understood it when he explained it to me but apparently not.

What I remember for certain was.

1. Plug laptop into the switch
2. There was something I had to change or look at in the network settings on the laptop
3. Then open the VNC program on the laptop enter the projectors IP address and log in with a password he gave me. The way he explained it I thought the software was with all the other software I got with the equipment. It's not. I don't have it at all.

Once I can get that far I've got it. The settings I'm looking for were in one of the tabs of the screen that comes up when you log into this thing.

I'm sorry I have no idea what I'm doing. We just switched. I got maybe an hour worth of training during the installation and that was just the basics to get the thing running.

Marcel. I think I need to connect to the projector. Don't I get everything connecting to the server/IMB would get me from the display with the SMS and control panel?

Carsten. I think we needed the VNC instead of web based for the projector because the projectors aren't networked.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 07:05 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off all, I do think you should ask someone qualified to give you a more in depth training. There's also a lot of things you can do yourself, by just reading the manual of your GDC IMB for example, even if a lot of things aren't entirely clear at first.

Without knowing anything about your projector/server network, it's impossible to tell what you need to change in your network connection settings. If there is no DHCP server present on that network, you will need to do configure a static IP address. The IP address you can use is dependent on your local network configuration. I guess your installer left some documentation regarding this configuration?

It's not really clear to me, but you're unable to find a VNC program on your computer? If there is no VNC client installed, you can download one. There are lots of client programs out there, one of the more popular can be found here. Some of them are free, some need a license for commercial use. RealVNC Viewer (without the Plus) is free.

You're trying to get 3D running via HDMI. Please notice this is something even more qualified operators usually need some external help. What source are you going to use for the 3D signal? Do you have a scaler/3D converter?

And something I don't know: Does the GDC actually support 3D via HDMI? And if yes, in what formats?

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 3D blu ray player plugged into the hdmi. I'm watching it on my 3D flat setting. Running with my regular active 3D system that has an emitter that sends a signal to the glasses. It's in 3D. It's also totally washed out in red color wise. It looks exactly the same in that regard as my regular flat setting when running a regular blu ray. I know what settings need changed to work with my 3D equipment. I have them in the 3D manual. But the quickest and easiest thing to do is just screen shot the 3D settings from my 3d flat or scope add them to the hdmi setting with the right color scheme and save that as 3d hdmi.

I have all the ip addresses for the projectors. I know that I need to change the IP address settings on my laptop to get in the group with the projector and server but I don't know where to do that. I looked at real VNC but I don't know how to use it at all.

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 10:11 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I took a look at the manual and what I need is the digital cinema controller. The manual says to download it from the projector via the browser interface but the projector is not connected to the internet. So basically the cry for help becomes how do I get the software and how do I use it to connect to the projector through the network switch?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-20-2014 01:58 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, this bluray player, is it hooked up to the IMB (the GDC server module in the projector) or to a HDMI port on the projector itself?

Changing the IP address of your computer really depends on your operating system. Here is how it's done on Windows 7. It works similar for Windows 8. Here is a short description of how it's done on MacOS X Mountain Lion, which is an older version of MacOS X, but it's close enough on other versions.

What do you not understand about the VNC Viewer software? You download it, you install it on your computer, like you would do with all other applications and then you start it. When it starts, it opens with a screen:

- VNC Server: Here you enter the correct address of your GDC server
- Encryption: I would go for "Prefer off"

Then you click on "Connect" and if VNC is correctly enabled on the server and your IP configuration works out, you will be connected. You might get a warning screen about Encryption not being enabled,but since you're connected over a local network, that's not something to worry about, click "Continue".

Now you will be asked either username and password or just a password. Use the information provided to you and click on "OK". If the credentials were correct, you should now be connected to the screen of your server.

To disconnect, it's best to just close the session by pressing on the "X" in the upper right corner of your VNC window. Or on Mac, the "X" button in the window controls on the left top side of the window.

For the projector controls, you could use the web interface, you do not need any additional software in that case. You access it by opening your favorite browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.). Type in the correct IP address (which should be provided to you) in the address bar. Fill in your login credentials (login/password) and click on OK.

Once you're done, log out and close the browser.

Do not forget to return your network settings to the original settings (probably using DHCP), or else you will not be able to connect to the Internet with your computer.

And, if this all fails, you should be able to do format changes on the projector itself. Carsten also mentioned this before.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-20-2014 07:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - there are actually three ways to access the system:

- projectors web interface
- NEC DCC software. You can download it from the projectors web pages, or find someone who will supply a copy. Downloading and installing can be a bit tricky due to browser security issues I learned
- VNC into the server

These three methods offer very different access methods. The DCC offers every possible setting for the projector. This is a service tool that techs use for a full setup of the projector. There are different access levels, though. The DCC is not needed to just activate preset formats - it is way to complicated for your level of training.

The VNC will ONLY allow you to control the projector as much as it is possible from the GDC itself. Depending on how it has been setup, only Power On/Off, and format presets may be possible, but it may be enough for what you want to do, AND it offers complete remote control of the whole projection system - that is, start/stop shows, edit playlists, etc. So, in my opinion you'd better take the VNC route.

Do you have a manual for the NC900? The Webinterface is explained there.

http://www.manualslib.com/download/434246/Nec-Nc900c.html

You may need another switch between the GDC and projector to tap in to the web-interface, or your GDC may have bridging activated so that you can get to the projector through the server.

But honestly, to get everything right, IP addresses, routing, etc., it is a steep learning curve for you. I think someone could walk you through it, but he would need some information about the network setup at your place, OSs used on the computer, etc.

- Carsten

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I gather from reading this thread is that Paul needs to modify settings on his projector, not his server. It looks like he finally realized he needs DCC to do that, and that a VNC client is not what his is looking for.

quote: Paul Looker
The manual says to download it from the projector via the browser interface but the projector is not connected to the internet.
It doesn't need to be. As you already stated, you are downloading the client from the projector. Once you've figured out how to change your laptop's IP settings and select an IP address that is correct for your network, connect your laptop to the same network switch your projector is connected to. Open a web browser and type the projector's IP address in the address bar (where you would normally type a web site's URL). If all settings are correct, you will be taken to the projector's internal web interface. This is a web page hosted on the projector itself, not on the Internet.

Although this is where you can get the DCC application from, I must agree with others in cautioning you on its use. It sounds as though you need a qualified technician to either do what you are wanting to do or give you proper training on how to do it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-2014 09:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
The DCC offers every possible setting for the projector
Had this not been an NC900C question, I'd been right there with you. However, on the NC900, the lamp counter reset is absent from the DCC...that has to be done via the keypad on the projector itself.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: VNC.... I have stopped using it all together and have switched to Tight VNC. No GDC password is required although it can be set up for it if you so desire.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you are referring to "Real VNC"...I have found that I like UltraVNC the best but have used Real and Tight as well.

It isn't that Tight doesn't require a password...it is that you can save the password so you don't have to re-enter it. Note too, you can save a configuration file that seemingly works with most/all VNC programs.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-27-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be a server setting I think, the projector presets will be just IMB input and (probably) RGB colour. Check the GDC manual for commands to change the HDMI colour space and gammma.
I have had to change both to get a decent HDMI image.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-27-2014 05:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the latest version of Tight VNC lets you either save a password or use none at all. GDC at least doesn't require any password with Tight VNC and that's how I chose to use it with TMS 4.0. TMS 4.0 requires that you use Tight VNC, Regular VNC won't work through the TMS app nor will you be able to wake up servers remotely with it.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: