Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Impossible to copy from DSL100 to DSS200

Author Topic: Impossible to copy from DSL100 to DSS200
Erard Robin
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2014 01:05 AM      Profile for Erard Robin   Email Erard Robin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm a DCP laboratory based in Switzerland. I created DCP since 5-6 years with EasyDCP.

Last week I created a DCP that has been sent to a multiplex theater, but they have a very particular problem with this film :

-The server is : DOLBY Showlibary DSL 100
DOLBY DSS200 by the Machines
-The DCP mounts when connected to the server DSL100
-The DCP content appears correct
-The DCP can be copied on the server DSL100
-The DCP can be copied and played on DSS200

But they can’t copie the Film from their server DSL100 to the DSS200 theaters!

Could you tell me if you know this issue.

Robin

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2014 02:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of any reason, if their DSL100 and DSS200s are configured correctly, it should have any problem on the transfer. Have they contacted Dolby?

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 09:05 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly happens when they try to transfer this content?
Can they transfer any other content without any problems?
Network settings are correct? Network Switch is ok?

I have seen couple of cases when a DCP is loaded to DSS (successfully) and after that, trying to transfer the DCP to other networked DSS results in failing.
Unless this DCP is copied from DSS to HDD, and then copying the content to other DSS from HDD, results in same faiulure, unless you cancel the verifiacation when it starts (network transfers are not being verified, though).
CPL was missing issuer tag or something like that.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any error messages appearing either on screen or in the logs of the DSL100 or DSS200 could also help to get a hint on what's going on.

Some things that come to mind:
- You're sure it's just this DCP that's causing a problem?
- Did they already copy other DCPs made by you between the DSL100 and the DSS200?
- Did they try it on one of their other DSS200 machines?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you "outgest" a DCP from a DSS200 to removable media, it does not copy the CPL file along with all the others. I found this out the hard way when trying to move DCPs between a Dolby and a Doremi server a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have thought that this would affect the shifting of DCPs between two Dolbys, but this might be worth investigating.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby are happy to ingest content without the assetmap and packing list on the media.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 11:41 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby servers are, but Doremi servers (or rather, Dolby servers from the Doremi line) are not.

quote: Leo Enticknap
When you "outgest" a DCP from a DSS200 to removable media, it does not copy the CPL file along with all the others. I found this out the hard way when trying to move DCPs between a Dolby and a Doremi server a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have thought that this would affect the shifting of DCPs between two Dolbys, but this might be worth investigating.
The difference here is that the DSL100 is supposed to be a central storage machine from which others ingest their content. Copying content from a DSL100 to a DSS200 is the normal operating procedure, whereas you're not really supposed to export content from a playout server to import it into another one.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, but the problem is within Dolby servers if I understand it correctly.

If you export content and ingest it *on another Dolby*, it will be fine. And obviously it must work using the GUI.

Erard,

Are you sure your library and your ShowStores are on the same software version?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem Leo was referring to was between a Dolby and Doremi server. The problem Erard is describing is between a Dolby library server and playout server of one of his customers.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-19-2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct.

But then Leo states:
quote: Leo Enticknap
I wouldn't have thought that this would affect the shifting of DCPs between two Dolbys, but this might be worth investigating.
hence my reply: no, it does not affect it.

Erard Robin
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2014 09:57 AM      Profile for Erard Robin   Email Erard Robin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I will send the link of the forum thread to the cinema operator. I'm the laboratory, then I can't answer your questions. But Yes, this cinema allready got my DCP by the past. And the DCP has no problem, they managed to copy is manually on a DSS200 and played it without any problem.

Thank's for you help, you are very efficient.

Best

Robin

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: