Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Reel 1 Test CPL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Reel 1 Test CPL
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-14-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As has become the norm for Lionsgate's blockbuster movies, they will only allow us to QC reel 1 prior to the Thursday night premiere. I do not yet know when keys will be valid for this test, but I believe it was Tuesday night last year. Presumably the keys for the full movie will not be valid before 5:00-6:00pm on Thursday 11/20.

Per the Projectionist letter the test CPL has to be ingested in addition to the feature CPLs. If you are running a Hunger Games marathon, it appears Hunger Games and Catching Fire will be on the same drive as Mockingjay.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2014 08:59 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What point is testing the test CPL if it's not the feature?

*SIGH*

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 05:21 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CPL will be a VF of the OV, hence what you're seeing on screen will be what you will be seeing when running the OV.
Sure, it won't give you 100% assurance that it's going to work but you'll be quite confident that the picture fits the screen and the sound level is the expected one.

If the alternative is to receive nothing, I say this is a good compromise.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2014 07:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin...confirmed, all three features are on a single drive (but as separate features)...the drive I saw had all of the "normal" versions and a separate Auro version of Mockingjay...Atmos, if available on this title, was not on the drive.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-15-2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a separate drive for the Atmos version which also includes an Atmos version of the Insurgent trailers.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 03:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I right that ATMOS DCPs HAVE to be on separate drives because they are SMPTE DCPs, while the rest of the breed is Interop? Currently, you can't mix these.

I think it's the same for The Hobbit II & III HFR releases.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a comparison note: "Big Hero 6" ATMOS is SMPTE and separate drive, were "BH6" 5.1/7.1 is IOP on its own drive.

-Monte

Jeff Kuschel
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Jeff Kuschel   Email Jeff Kuschel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but why do both the feature CPL and the test CPL have to be ingested in order for the test CPL to work?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-16-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Jeff...what a stupid question! You should only ask questions for those things for which you have the answer to! [Wink]

The reason was actually discussed above (see Marco's post). The Reel 1 test is actually just a "Version File"...signified by the "VF" at the end of its "easy to decipher name." A Version File does not contain all of the content needed to run a DCP...it may only have a description in it on how to build the DCP or may contain that which is different about that version...say the 7.1 soundtrack or subtitles for a particular language. As such they are very small, comparatively. With ANY version file, one has to have an associated "OV" or Original Version...which is the base version that has everything needed to form a complete DCP (CPL...Composition Play List). A VF file then modifies that as needed as described in the VF to make a unique DCP. In this manner, there is likely one one set of "picture" files which take up the bulk of the space. In this manner, you are not taking up much more space to have several versions of the same movie because all of the various VF files are only taking up a small amount of space.

However, this SMPTE encoding people are talking about would NOT be a mere version file...in order to have both an SMPTE and IOP versions on the same HDD...there would need to be two complete OVs since the base file would be unique for each...and then all of the VF files to that OV would have to be different...you'd have so many duplication of names on one drive with small nuances (that often only come at the end of the name that most systems don't let you see easily)...the odds that people would select the wrong one would be rather high. Atmos, being a relatively small installation base, is probably easier to just segregate those. However next year, everyone is supposed to move over to SMPTE encoding. Interop was supposed to just be a stop-gap.

Jeff Kuschel
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Kuschel   Email Jeff Kuschel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...thank you for the explanation. When I was reading Marco's reply, I had no idea what the abbreviations meant.

So, when we want to run the test for Mockingjay, we will need to tell our servers to play the test (VF) file, which will automatically grab any content it may need from the "full" original (OV) file.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the KDM file (key) that makes that determination on which file is to be played and how long, not the server.

You'll get a special test key that has coding to allow playback of the content for a certain amount of time, and will not allow the entire package to be played.

Then, you'll receive and ingest the actual feature key that overrides that previous test key for full feature playback, but at a later time.

the CPL can also be the full feature content, but it's under control of the key's instruction on how much can be played, or all.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-16-2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
However next year, everyone is supposed to move over to SMPTE encoding. Interop was supposed to just be a stop-gap.
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution [Wink] . Do we actually expect "them" (studios et all) to re-encode their existing stockpile of interop DCPs to SMTPE, so we could, one day, kill the support for "Interop" in all deployments?

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-17-2014 06:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong Monte. The server is what "chooses" what file to play. The key merely allows it. You can have a valid key for the reel 1 as well as the full feature and you can choose to play either if both are valid. There is no key overriding the other key.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-17-2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an attempt to clear this up, I was under the impression that the CPL was what determined what would be played (picture file, audio file, captions, etc), and that each CPL requires a unique KDM.

One point I'm not clear on is how things like closed captions and alternate language subtitles are handled. Are these all contained in the main DCP, and the CPL chooses which parts to use? Or does the CPL for Spanish subtitles merge a second DCP with the subtitles on top of the main DCP which contains the pictures and audio.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-17-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of being pedantic, I would say the KDM instructs the server what to play and if you ask it nicely it will choose to follow the instructions.

Actually this is a useful discussion to clear the confusion some of us may have.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: