Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ceiling speakers and 7.1 sound

Author Topic: Ceiling speakers and 7.1 sound
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 11:40 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any recommendations on speakers to use for the ceiling? Also, would the ceiling speakers be split to be used on all 4 surround channels?

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 12:27 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are installing Atmos or Auro or some kind of undefined 9.1 configuration, there shouldn't be ceiling speakers. They should certainly not be used to playback the normal surround channels of a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 12:35 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree but they want them.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who, and for what purpose? Is this a commercial business driven cinema, a private screening room, or what?

- Carsten

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 01:06 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a commercial theater. They just want more surrounds basically. The theaters are tiny. 19' wide by 50' long.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"more"? Are you saying they already have proper surrounds and they want to "upgrade"?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 01:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, source them, build them in, connect them. Then tell them to wait for 9.1 DCPs to show up before they can use them.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install speakers on the ceiling, just don't hook them up. Turn the volume on the regular surrounds up slightly. Listen to people marvel at how much 'better' it sounds.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater is renovating. The surrounds were never placed correctly. I understand that they do not need ceiling surrounds for 7.1 but they want them. Even though it's a waste of money, would you hook them up with all 4 surround channels or just left and right surrounds?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago I had a guy tell me about the time that he installed surround speakers in his auditorium. He hung the speakers on the wall and ran the wires himself. In the week or two after that while he was waiting for the tech to arrive to install the booth equipment and hook them up, he had many compliments on how much better the sound in his theatre was.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
would you hook them up with all 4 surround channels or just left and right surrounds?
In all seriousness...I would mount those ceiling speakers fairly close to the sides, and hook them up to just the left/right surrounds. If you hook them up to all four channels you would just diminish the directionality of the sound. Maybe you could put a couple more speakers on the back channels to beef that up a bit....?

I wonder if the owner here is thinking he'll need to upgrade to Atmos someday and is planning for that?

I can't imagine watching a movie in a 19x50 auditorium. Are the screens wall-to-wall I hope?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2014 02:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike. The screens are wall to wall. I don't think Dolby Atmos would work here for many reasons. One being that they are going to mount the side surrounds in the wall and I think it would be harder to position them correctly. Keeping the ceiling surrounds on the side channels only sounds like a good idea. Since they will be mounting them in the ceiling, I will have to look for some kind of in ceiling speakers.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 04:31 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
I understand that they do not need ceiling surrounds for 7.1 but they want them
This escapes me.
Did you tell them that installing ceiling surrounds is not going to improve the existing result and that replacing the existing surrounds with real surround speakers is the way to go?
I appreciate they want to spend money, but can't they spend money on something they actually need?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cannot judge your actual situation. Sometimes, people demand stupid things, but it's not like you ALWAYS have to give into those stupid demands.

Surround mixes are created with a specific layout in mind. Surround sound in a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 mix is NOT supposed to come from the ceiling. If they want to invest now in speakers they might be able to use in the future (Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D or whatever comes next), then good for them. Make sure the layout actually conforms to at least one of those formats.

Hooking them up right now to any of the 4 surround channels is just a stupid idea, you're potentially screwing up the sound mixes of many many movies.

Furthermore, I fully agree with Marco. If they want to spend money, let them spend it on something that actually improves stuff. If they're out of ideas, be a bit creative [Wink] .

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-11-2014 05:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I can't imagine watching a movie in a 19x50 auditorium.
My auditorium isn't much different than that; it's 25x60.

I think it works pretty well, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: