Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Left/right lens shift

Author Topic: Left/right lens shift
Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2014 07:36 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday our Barco 20C arrived and was installed just 0,6m off-axis and that was already the limit for horizontal lens shift (max 15%). That actually surprised me a lot. Our smaller auditorium (with 5,6m screen) has a non-DCP projector and projection window about 1,5m off-axis (53%). The questions is, are there any lenses/smaller DCP projectors with wide horizontal lens shift range?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-31-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 15% lens shift, that's a 4M screen I think. With a 20C?
These projectors have a lot of lens shift available. I don't see how a .6M offset could not be within the shift range. Is the lens centred on the imager, and the projector dead square to your screen brfore trying shift? Does the image shift left and right from centre the same distance with the projector dead square to the screen?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-31-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it really depends on the projector/lens and on how much vertical shift and zoom you are using. The software will limit the horizontal shift if you are already at the bottom of the lens - to avoid cropping the beam.

The 20C should have plenty of lens shift though. Are you sure your projector is straight? The wall is a good starting point to align a machine but eventually the picture is your target.

To quickly check, put a white pattern and adjust the horizontal shift so the pattern is in the middle of the lens. Now look at the screen, if you say the projector is 0.6m off centre, your white pattern should be roughly 0.6m off centre. If it's waay off... well, the machine is probably misaligned.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2014 03:44 PM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know its a different model, but my barco 12c here has so much lens shift I can project almost completely off the screen in every direction

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-31-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that the amount of available lens shift in any dorection is also tied to a given lens focal length. Some lenses can go further off axis without cropping that others can.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2014 06:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark hit it. Which lens you are using will change your lens shift range GREATLY. I forget which it is...the 1.6-2.5 or the 1.95-3.2...has very little lens shift range compared to others. You'll also find that the smaller the imager (S2K) the more range you'll typically get...with the 4K chips typically the most limited. In fact, there are some 4K specific lenses and aside from MTF improvements, the inlet pupil is larger allow for more shift range.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The longer the focal length the less the available lens shift there is....

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-02-2014 02:07 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed an NC900C S2k on a very small screen (3m flat, 3,80m scope).

The machine had to be offset about 0.7m over a 10.5m distance. I wasn't able to center the image with the 2.09-3.9:1 lens.
You would think that the smaller imager projectors should be able to do huge lens shifts - but when you look at these tiny lenses, it seems clear that the lens is really the limiting factor here. I actually though that the lens mount was defective.

Then someone pointed me to a datasheet that gave max H/V shift ranges for the NEC and the accessory lenses - it barely has ANY H-shift per datasheet - 0.11 H-Shift, 0.5 V-Shift.

NC900C datasheet

Now that number is probably given for simplicity reasons, as it varies betweens lenses and focal lengths as others have pointed out.

As a matter of fact, what I was able to achieve on site was even slightly more than the datasheet quotes - yet not enough. However, it clearly is a software-imposed limit to prevent vignetting or uneven screen brightness, etc., as the lens and motor have more physical space to move.

When doing a lens mount initialize/center, you can see the lens is driven around in a circle and the largest H-Shift is possible with the lens centered vertically, and vice versa. In this installation, however, the V-Shift actually was already near zero.

That was a bit disappointing. I know various inexpenive home cinema projectors with low-cost lenses, yet they have H-Shift ranges of 0.5 and V-Shift of 1.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also an indicator on the lens setup tab on DCC that will show you if you have gone outside the available lens shit area. It is a red warning that pops up. You can't miss it. I have also seen lens memory loses occur when lens shift was at or near maximum but that was supposed to be taken care of in an update that was released earlier this year. I had one NC-2000 that was way off C/L and we had it shifted pretty far over but not to it's limits and it constantly lost lens memory. I re-set the projector centering and down tilt the old fashioned way and it has never lost the settings since. I am going to make another attempt at keystone correction and off set next time I go back so we'll see if the firmware update has fixed the issue or not. This is the only NC-2000 out of a couple hundred that has ever lost it's settings.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-02-2014 08:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the NC900C, DCC will only indicate that the chosen shift can not be stored ('out of range'). So you can go beyond a maximum shift a few steps, but can not store this position. You have to fine-shift a few steps trying, trying to save after each step until saving is possible.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: