Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How do make singalong version of a movie?

Author Topic: How do make singalong version of a movie?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2014 04:37 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local theatre group wants to run a singalong version of White Christmas in December as a fundraiser. I've booked the movie on DCP. I told the group a ready made singalong version wasn't available. Any idea of how to create one?

I could turn on the captions but then they would have to play through the whole movie I assume?

The low tech solution would be to hand out paper lyric sheets but then there's no guide to when to sing.

Anyone know of a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-29-2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A local theatre group", as in live performers? If so, why not have a chorus. The group members can stand at the front of the auditorium or along the sides or whatever and sing along at the appropriate moments -- hand out lyric sheets to the audience on the way in and you're all set.

That's a lot more "personal" than just printing lyrics on the screen, and you're guaranteed to get more audience participation that way.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have someone who is competent with editing digital files, they could edit the subtitles track to only include them while there's singing. (This would involve not using the DCP and instead using a DVD or Blu-ray.)

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-30-2014 07:23 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DCP is most certainly encrypted, so, there's no way to change the content in the DCP itself. Trying to load external subtitles will not work either. Captions, like you already assumed, will play trough the entire movie, not just the "singalong" parts.

Like Mark already pointed out, you could use the DVD or better, the Blu-Ray source material and edit your subtitles right in there, using a decent video editor utility. You could export the end-result back to an unencrypted DCP, which you could play as a regular movie.

Make sure you do not mess up the audio tracks during editing and you end up with misaligned audio channels.

I would really go the route to embed the subtitles. Don't even try to create your own SMTPE subtitles, as this format is a mess and should only be touched with the proper tools and knowledge.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2014 07:37 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember going to some of those Follow the Bouncing Ball Song Movies in the 60's.Most of the Audience sang along with the Audio. If you did that today in Multiplexes the Kids would probably think your insane....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: