Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Converting an iTunes video to DCP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Converting an iTunes video to DCP
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone specify the right settings to use when converting a video from iTunes to DCP?

Currently I'm using MakeMKV to convert the file to .mkv format, then using Sony Movie Studio Platinum to render the file as an .mpg for DCP-o-Matic. But, when I preview it in DCP-o-Matic it keeps coming out with all kinds of interlacing artifacts or just crappy looking, fuzzy, blocky, depending on what settings I'm using. On iTunes it plays beautifully and also the preview window in Sony Movie Studio looks awesome.

What am I missing?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm puzzled DCP-o-matic can't read the original file? Should be MP4 or MP4 in a MOV container?

Choosing proper compression codecs and settings is not easy and cross conversion thus should be avoided by all means.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What codec is being used for the iTunes video? And is the original video interlaced?

If you transcode the video not just once but a few times, there will not be much quality left.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried putting the original iTunes file directly into DCP-o-Matic but it wouldn't work -- the program reports a frame rate of "90000.0000" even though it's really 29. And the video preview window doesn't show anything.

The original file is .m4v which may have something to do with it?

I have no idea about the interlacing or the codecs on the original file -- it's just a standard iTunes music video.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 05:46 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Many M4V files are copy-protected beasts, so if you just bought it from iTunes, chances are this is exactly what's happening. So to be able to convert it, you first need to get rid of the DRM... If you're using Windows 7, you can usually right click on the file and get an option "Protected", it will show you if the file is DRM protected or not.

There are some tools out there, but I don't have recent experience and there's probably a lot of junk out there too, either wanting money from you or potentially loading your PC with crapware, so be a bit careful. Also, as a general disclaimer: removing DRM from files in the U.S. of A. is a federal offense according to the DMCA. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 05:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured that might be the case. I did right-click and look at all the properties and can't find "protected" anywhere, so the experimenting goes on.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2014 06:17 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these files that are bought from iTunes, or downloaded for free, or ...? If I can get hold of one I maybe can work out what's going on.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a file I bought from iTunes. Actually I may have figured it out...I ran it through something called "convertfiles.com" which converted it to a .mov file, and that looks great in DCP-o-matic. I'll try playing it later tonight and see how it looks/sounds.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2014 06:43 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I tried putting the original iTunes file directly into DCP-o-Matic but it wouldn't work -- the program reports a frame rate of "90000.0000" even though it's really 29. And the video preview window doesn't show anything
Hmmm, I'm able to duplicate this with a non-DRM music video purchased from iTunes. This was with DCP-o-matic 1.76.

I'll report it to the developer.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I am a Mac user, I have near zero experience with video downloaded from iTunes.

If there is no DRM on that file, DCP-o-matic should be able to handle it, maybe with some tweaking. And the fact that Sony Movie Studio opens it in good quality in my opinion can only mean there is no DRM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4V

Hmm, I checked my iTunes and found a couple of Radiohead videos in that format. Info dialog says 'protected MPEG4 movie'. I can still play it in quicktime player 7 and open it in MPEG Streamclip.

Opening it in DCP-o-matic gives no preview - and same as your result, indicates 90000fps and a runtime of more than 43h. Timeline shows video and audio track of that lenght, audio content shows two tracks at 44.100.

When I open it with MPEG Streamclip, correct clip properties are displayed, I can play and export it. With standard parameters, export to MP4 goes very quickly, within 2-3min on my very outdated C2D.

So maybe a strange misinterpretation by DCP-o-matic/FFMPEG?

Carl, you may have a look at this video, and Mike, for the time being, you may give MPEG Streamclip a try - it's free, available for windows, easy to handle. It's mostly used for conversion/conforming, but simple operations like track selection, trimming, etc. are possible as well. My standard MP4 export as mentioned took 2-3min and opens okay in DCP-o-matic and looks good.

I use it like this for years also for strange MPEG2 formats. Very simple yet powerful tool, suitable for more complex video format conversions prior to DCP encoding.

I think in this case MPEGStreamclip just did something like a rewrapping, not a full MP4/h.264 encode - that would have taken much longer. Seems it just reformats the file to a format that DCP-o-matic can read.
Although the resulting file is somewhat smaller than the original...
Anyway, another option without ANY recompression is to extract video and audio tracks into separate files.
Unfortunately, DCP-o-matic can not read the audio only file in mp4 format, so that would have to be converted to WAV before importing it into DCP-o-matic - but that is lossless as well.
Anyway, both ways should give you a quick solution until Carl looks into the file issue.

http://www.squared5.com/

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-21-2014 10:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the test run, the video looked great but I wasn't all that happy with the sound -- it needs more high end, but I can fix that one easy. Thanks for the help guys, at least apparently we uncovered a DCP-o-Matic anomoly that the crew can work on! [thumbsup]

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 04:05 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Thanks for the investigations, and thanks David for emailing the list. This bug should be fixed in DCP-o-matic 1.76.3, which you can (shortly) get from here:

http://dcpomatic.com/test-download

Do let me know if you have any problems with that version.
Best, Carl

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 05:04 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like great customer service [Wink] .

I found an iTunes M4V (courtesy of the girlfriend) showing the same issues. I've installed the new test version on a Windows VM. It will take a while to complete, but I will let you know the end results.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 06:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm the iTunes test clip that I supplied to Carl for a fix works now with 1.76.3

Cheers, Carl! Isn't that mad now, communicating together around the globe on overnight software improvements. Great times still!

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 06:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I can confirm it too. Looks like one bug squashed. Great work!

Now we can have the joy of iTunes music videos in the cinema at last [Wink] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: