Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Master List of 3D content?

Author Topic: Master List of 3D content?
Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2014 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm recently returned to the film-tech forums now that my theater has converted to Digital cinema. The Vernon Plaza Theater was the first 3D theater built in Texas by Interstate, lo, these sixty-plus years ago, so I'm happy to return the theater to her roots.

With that in mind, I'm showing the Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3D on Halloween (it was shown at the theater back in '54). But it's only 80 minutes long. I'm looking around for other 3D content that has made the digital conversion to the new format, and no one can tell me anything about what's been done, what hasn't been done, where to get it, etc.

Is there a master list out there? Or a database? Or SOMEthing, anything, that shows who has converted what? I know it's too much to ask for Robot Monster to make the conversion anytime soon, but surely the Three Stooges' "Pardon my Backfire" would have come over to digital by now?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2014 09:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your theater subscribes to Independent Marketing Edge, I think you can get that info from there (www.imeonline.com). Or boxofficemojo.com ought to have it (and if they don't, maybe an email to them suggesting it would be a good idea).

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema here in Australia is showing "The House of Wax", "Dial M For Murder" + The Three Stooges short "Spooks" in 3D soon, so there must be DCPs available. The two features are definitely available on 3D BluRay, as I have copies. See Cremorne Orpheum

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2014 11:40 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creature was the very 1st 3D Film I ever saw and was in a Projection Booth when it was being shown. I was 6 yrs old and my parents were good friends with the Projectionist. It was the 1st 3D Film for him to show and he was a Veteran Projectionist from the 40's. Projectors seemed like Monsters to me back then as a little kid.(E7 Simplex's) Still remember quite a bit even back then. Both Projectors running at once in Sync. They had 2 intermissions I think. Looked so funny to look through the Viewing Port and see all the audience wearing these Cardboard Glasses.

Everything went OK; but I remember him saying to my Dad how relieved he was when it was over and wasn't really thrilled about wanting to Project another 3D Film.As a kid you really didn't know if something wasn't working perfectly; you were just awestruck at seeing this Movie where it looked like things were coming out of the Screen. Those Days are gone For Ever but I'm glad I got to be a Part of that back then....

-

Mark Farr-Nash
Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Farr-Nash   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Farr-Nash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-13-2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, the 3-D films from the Golden Age of the format in the fifties had only ONE intermission in order for the two reels of film for the 2nd half of the movie can be threaded and ran after the first part of the movie had finished.

By the way, I saw the first two Creature films in 3-D at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu during their 1st run engagement. I remember the 2nd creature film was the last 3-D film shown at the Liberty. The never ran anymore after that.

I now have THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON IN 3-D on a Blu Ray disc and it is fantastic!

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: