Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DOLBY SERVERS - questions x2

Author Topic: DOLBY SERVERS - questions x2
Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 12:34 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm swapping out one very similar 500gb hard drive in a series 100 DOLBY DSS... SEAGATE BARRACUDE "ES.2" for SEAGATE BARRACUDA ES"... I assume this will work... same brand and size only the model is slightly different.

*** Dave you were correct about a BAD / DEAD HARD DRIVE preventing a RAID REBUILD ***

QUESTION #2 .. in the Dolby model 200 DSS/DSP... it has "ports" for 8 hard drives rather than 4 on the early series 100 models. CAN I USE ALL EIGHT? If so how.

Help and knowledge most welcome.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 03:26 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a list of drives tested by Dolby so known to work, your dealer should have it.

Only 4 of the DSS200s drive slots are live.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-11-2014 05:28 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can use any drive, it would probably work but it hasn't been tested by Dolby. It may work well, it may not. Dolby won't support you if they see a no-qualified drive in the unit.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 10:06 AM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PETE

YOU SAY "Only 4 of the DSS200s drive slots are live."

CAN I "TURN ON" ALL EIGHT DRIVES SLOTS with CORRECT HARD DRIVES?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-11-2014 11:59 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The internal controller is a 4 ports only.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-11-2014 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to change out the RAID controller to use all 8 slots (search the forum for that discussion on model numbers).

Note, not all DSS100s can take the 1TB drives...thus far, all of the DSS100s I've tried it on have worked.

Personally, I would stick with the Hitachi 1TB drives and avoid Seagate at all costs. I've had nothing but trouble with the Seagates. The HUA722010CLA330 has been VERY reliable for us and is an approved drive for Dolby (GDC and Doremi).

Mike Renlund
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 05:53 PM      Profile for Mike Renlund   Email Mike Renlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby recommends using the drives on the "approved list" because they have been tested with the different hardware platforms in several different conditions.

Dolby servers use ENTERPRISE or SERVER class drives. Using consumer class drives is not recommended.

Consumer and server class drives operate quite differently with regard to how they deal with read/write failures and attempting to recover bad sectors.

Consumer class drives will take more time (than an enterprise class drive) to try and recover data from read/write failures. This can cause the RAID array to become degraded which may impact playback/performance.

Enterprise class drives will try to repair the sector very quickly or reallocate the sector. This should not cause a degraded RAID array as often as a consumer drive with all of the performance impacts that come with that degraded array.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-11-2014 07:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8-drive RAID controller for a DSS200 is 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML. More info on installing one can be found in this thread. I did so in August, and our DSS200 is running eight 2TB drives very happily.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 10:04 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MANY THANKS to ALL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: