Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Making a DCP from a non-US region Blu-Ray...possible?

Author Topic: Making a DCP from a non-US region Blu-Ray...possible?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-03-2014 06:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know whether to put this question in this forum or the Afterlife forum so I just flipped a coin and here we are.

A discussion on Facebook led me to seek out the movie "Slap Shot" on Blu-Ray -- which I found, but it's region-encoded such that it apparently won't play in the USA.

So could I use MakeMKV and DCP-o-Matic to make a DCP out of this Blu-Ray so it would play in the theater?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-03-2014 08:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issues are more legal than technical. Technically, there are loads of packages out there that will decrypt BDs for you. DVDFab is the only one I've used in any detail: it works, and can certainly turn your BD into a file that DCP-o-Matic can then use.

However, my understanding (which may be wrong) is that under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, you're committing a federal offense simply by cracking a digital video encryption system, even if you're doing so with the permission of the owner of the content you're decrypting. I suspect that the chances of your being on the receiving end of any legal action are close to zero in the situation you describe (i.e. you've booked a license to play the movie in your theater legitimately, and are simply doing this to get hold of screening media), but the issue exists, nevertheless.

Might buying an all region player be an easier way to go, and simply hooking that up to your projector or scaler via HDMI? You can get 'em for around $300.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-04-2014 02:27 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, just the act of ripping a DVD (which also contains a primitive version of copy protection) or Blu-Ray is a federal offense already, according to the DMCA. It doesn't even matter if it's from your region or not.

It's not an offense anymore, if you've got the explicit permission to do so, from the copyright holder. But yeah, you never get that.

It's a nice example of copyright gone wrong. We had a whole topic about that [Wink] .

There are a few exceptions: Schools and libraries are exempt for example, they may legally copy a DVD or Blu-Ray without consent of the copyright owner and as long as it's fair use. They even can legally use ripping software. Every three years, parties like RIAA and MPAA join a formal hearing to determine what remains exempt and what doesn't. Time and time again they push for more "content control". This is how you're supposed to LEGALLY copy a DVD according to them...

But getting back to the question: Once you rip this thing to an MKV, the region protection is a thing of the past. So, this DCP you make out of it should just work fine, as nothing of the original protection will be left.

And like Leo already put it, the chances of the copyright police storming in are rather minimal.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-04-2014 10:01 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
A discussion on Facebook led me to seek out the movie "Slap Shot" on Blu-Ray -- which I found, but it's region-encoded such that it apparently won't play in the USA.
Mike, Universal released "Slap Shot" on Blu-ray in the US last year.

Slap Shot

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: