Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Renting Digital (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Renting Digital
Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2014 11:04 PM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that long ago I thought I saw a write up on a place that rented digital equipment or was I dreaming about it.......Help

Thanks in advance

mike

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 01:56 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what are you looking for? A company that can rent you digital equipment (which must be quite a few and depending on region) or the place that used said rented equipment?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-29-2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VER has some D-cinema equipment in stock (Barco projector(s) and Doremi server(s)).

Not sure how the crypto stuff works with rental gear--you would need to get those public keys in advance of the rental, presumably.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 06:42 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have sourced from several vendors including VER. Most of the time is impressing the importance of coordinating information regarding hardware, server time clock and security issues. One show with 1200 people we had four people on their cell phones trying to get the key to start the show……the server clock was six hours off which was hard to get this through the "key" police

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 07:18 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably the main issue with those rental companies, they usually don't have a clue about how this DCI stuff works. So keeping the time well adjusted and providing some advance preparation so you can get public keys exchanged is probably very hard to arrange.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
One show with 1200 people we had four people on their cell phones trying to get the key to start the show……the server clock was six hours off
Hahaha! I went through the same thing at a big trade show a couple of years ago.
The company involved was making a big product announcement and so they
had their video "locked" until the last minute for security reasons.

But in my case, not only was the server clock several hours off, but the DCP had
been produced overseas and the time on the KDM they generated was set for
the local time where the video was produced, and not the time it needed to
be played back here in the USA. D'oh!

Fortunately, I realized this enough in advance to get it all straightened
out, but it wasn't easy, and didn't get fully resolved until the very last minute.

The good news is that when I got paid for the show, they threw me a big
bonus (several hundred dollars) for making everything 'work' and saving
them from some major embarrassment at their big event.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creating an encrypted DCP, including all the necessary KDM overhead for something like a product announcement. Their CEO must have been Steve Jobs' brother... They almost deserved to get a smack in their collective faces.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2014 02:13 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does a dci compliant media block have its clock off by several hours? Also, time zones are a PAIN! This stuff should all be encoded as utc. If you want something to play at noon tomorrow in Los Angeles, put the corresponding UTC time in the KDM.

Harold

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 07:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it possible to just call a server manufacturer and let them remote in to fix the clock? That's what we did here when our clock got off.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-29-2014 11:58 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that depends on whether you have conveniently available wired Internet service that's not filtered through X number of layers of NAT.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-30-2014 06:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a "recycled" Doremi from the U.K. with issues which did not allow for clock change…….running a bunch of "keyless" DCP for a function today which where made with DCP-o-Matic, so no heart attacks today.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-30-2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you need rental call James Bond at Full Aperture Systems in Chicago. He does lots of D-Cinema rentals for the studios and does it all over the country.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-30-2014 10:21 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're all thieves and pirates, the server security does not allow changing the clock outside a very narrow window. 6 hours is not possible without, from what I know, returning the Dolphin card to Doremi. If you use a DLM to extend the window (which won't stretch it to 6h), the server is no longer fully DCI compliant afterwards - but it will still work fine unless a KDM requiring strict compliance is tried. There are no such KDMs being issued yet, but they could be. The distributors realize that some security requirements available will break a lot of systems... and they don't want to do that. Yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2014 04:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC is able to remote into a server and adjust the internal clock more then the +/- 6 minmutes per year that DCI allows... I've had to have them do this in places where the internet is unreliable and the server is still looking for NTP but isn't getting it and then drifts.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-02-2014 04:11 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should give them a Stratum-1 NTP server based on GPS [Wink] .

Yeah, I know, it sounds like a multi-K investment, but with a bit of tinkering, you can build one for a few bucks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: