Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema Requirements (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital Cinema Requirements
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2014 09:42 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question. Does a theater have to change from mono sound to stereo in order to get digital movies? No VPF's are involved.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-22-2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think so. You will need some device to mix the 5.1 sound down to mono. The many DCI specifications require lots of things - 5.1 sound among them - but they are routinely ignored.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2014 10:16 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave. It's coming out of the D/A converter into a powered 5 channel mixer (no sub).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-22-2014 12:04 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCI compliance essentially only covers your playback equipment and if you're going to buy/finance that yourself, it's up to you what you do with the sound. DCI was never designed as a seal of quality, but the primary focus has always been on content security (from the perspective of the studios). I've not yet heard about studios forcing something like a "minimum equipment list" upon exhibitors. Disney is implementing something like that with an "verified equipment list" for their 3D titles, but even that is more like a recommendation and not really a requirement.

But as Dave already put forward, you need something to mix down at least 5.1 to mono, as it will be very hard to get any DCPs in mono or even purely stereo.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USL JSD-60 can do this mixdown.

Harold

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said you just need to mix down the 5.1 to Mono but man get with the times and upgrade to 5.1 surround. Unlesss your an Art House I understand but still. Sorry to sound rude but its my opinion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Jarod. If you're putting in digital going to 5.1would not add that much more to the price tag and your audience will like it.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 08:12 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a seasonal theater open 3 1/2 months out of the year. He will not switch to stereo. You're not being rude. I have tried to get him to switch. They already spent $150,000 to convert 4 screens to digital. It would probably cost at least another $15,000 even with used equipment.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 06:22 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, converting 4 screens to digital but still playing mono sound I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that would be, financing through a bank could easily get the $ required for sound upgrades.

I'm assuming this plays subrun/indie films?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's easy to spend other people's money. This is a first run house.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 07:57 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Richard. That can be so frustrating.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 08:37 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
I guess it's easy to spend other people's money.
I get what you are saying but it isn't right to expect somebody to pay first run prices (even if they are below average) and get a sound presentation that is worse than what comes out of a stock TV with no "sound system."

There are theatres closing all the time and dealers that get speakers and amps stripping them and can sell them very cheap.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All you guys suggesting an upgrade to stereo are correct, but as Richard indicated, and as I can attest, this is a very short-season operation in a wealthy area with absolutely no competition--none now or probably ever. Bottom line, if anyone wants to see a current film it's this theater or nowhere, and no matter how nice you make it you're not going to materially increase the audience. Personally I'm somewhat surprised the owner even justified the conversion to digital.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-24-2014 02:18 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justify? It's a stark choice - convert or close.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeff Taylor
Personally I'm somewhat surprised the owner even justified the conversion to digital.
This is a first run theater running film. Which means the grosses are quite good in order to play a first run film due current treatment of playing movies on the break (higher than average guarantees).

I agree with the others on not upgrading the sound too at this point. It should be done. I bet their are many potential customers do not attend this theater due to the sound not being what it should be.

Are the seats old? Broken? Crummy bathrooms, too?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: