Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Unable to adjust lamp in Christie CP2000S

Author Topic: Unable to adjust lamp in Christie CP2000S
Raymond Massard
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Raymond Massard   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Massard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Controls on the TPC for adjusting the lamp do not respond and an alarm condition has occurred: "ILS motor control board - In Boot/Program mode".
Any clue ?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-13-2014 01:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have been plugging, tugging...etc with the SSM and motherboard and such, any chance the connectors to the SSM are not connected properly? Look at J15.

There is an HD15 cable that connects the LampLOC board to the SSM via two bulkheads.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it's a great feature I think you are going to see a lot of issues with these motorized adjustment controls in the future, especially in light of the fact that Christie does not filter the intake air for the lamphouse. I've seen several coated in popcorn oil already. Christie never had a solid reputation for lasting lamp adjustment systems in anything they ever built.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-14-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be curious to see a NEC or a Barco in the same booth.
Barco's filters would get sticky and clogged in no time. On NEC's air goes around them anyway.

If you find popcorn oil inside the projector, I would not blame the projector's manufacture

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2014 05:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I wonder on some theatre builds, why no exhaust hoods over the poppers were never installed..

..then feel sorry for the equipment upstairs sucking in that oily vapor...including the HVAC units.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-23-2014 10:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, it's always the projector at the top of the stairs in theaters that don't exhaust the popper outdoors that this happens to. I have a number of those sites and on the NEC's they are all spanking clean inside. The filters get changed more frequently because the filters do become coated with oil. If you use the better grade of filters on the NEC's that fight tight there is so little air leakage around them it doesn't matter. I also always add foam tape to the top intake filters.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-23-2014 02:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am talking of "out-of-the-box" NEC's. Modifications are welcome but you can't say that "NEC's are spanking clean when a stock machine can't even cope with a little dust

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-23-2014 04:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my NECs have been clean inside too...without modifying the filters at all. My Christie's have been pretty darn clean too. I'm surprised that the lamphouse are hasn't been more dirty, actually. Barcos definitely take in more dirt than the others. The wire mesh just doesn't do an effective job against dust.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
it's always the projector at the top of the stairs in theaters that don't exhaust the popper outdoors that this happens to.
Exactly! I have the identical problem with an amp-rack at the top of some stairs
that begin around-the-corner from the a concession area. I have to go in and
de-gunk the pots & vents a couple of times a year. To make things worse,
they're Ashlys, which apparantly use the cheapest non-sealed pots & switches
on their input modules. One of these days I should replace them with sealed units.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-23-2014 06:25 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
And I wonder on some theatre builds, why no exhaust hoods over the poppers were never installed..
Because nobody actually thinks about the impact of those machines on the projection equipment. Because those hoods are ugly. Because people like the greasy smell of freshly popped popcorn and because stuff gets often shuffled around in yet another redesign.

If you want to keep it really clean, you would pop your popcorn in a separate kitchen with separated ventilation, but most don't have the facilities. Plus, you lose the benefit of people actually seeing you're serving them (somewhat) fresh popcorn.

One of the local multiplexes here has an "open booth", as in, there is no real booth, their machines (including the derelict 35mm equipment) are installed on raised platforms connected with walkways in the lobby. While it gives a good show, some of that equipment is merely a few feet away from those popcorn poppers, only being separated by thin air... I'm wondering how their Barcos look on the inside after about 5 years of service.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-24-2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
To make things worse,
they're Ashlys, which apparantly use the cheapest non-sealed pots & switches
on their input modules. One of these days I should replace them with sealed units.

Yea... The problem IS that they're Ashley. The best thing to do is get rid of em. If you can't then bypass all the pots and switches is the next step. They will forever be a problem if you don't! I had a six-plex of bi amp systems full of those.If the highs on some channels weren't out the lows were. After I bypassed the pots and switches all the problems ceased.

quote: Marcel Birgelen
Because nobody actually thinks about the impact of those machines on the projection equipment.
You just have to keep the door to the stairs shut!! Stops a lot of the crud from making it's way upstairs. That was a problem at one theater. They NEVER shut the dam door. Popcorn oil dripping off the negative ;amp support all over the motors and control circuitry in a Christie is an amazing site and a lengthy clean up.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: