Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » re-installing 35 for Interstellar? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: re-installing 35 for Interstellar?
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-12-2014 12:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for real? Nolan demanding first run in 35mm?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We kept 35mm at a few screens and getting Interstellar early because we can still run film. I can't imagine that it would get re-installed for this run, but who knows. It's been a long time since the staff has run film. I'm going in next week to check the machines. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-12-2014 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our customers have already received the request from Paramount on this one. They want to know if you have 35mm capability and if not if you would be willing to put it in.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO WAY?!?!?!

Oh man, this is EPIC

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well here in the DC area I guess that would be the AFI, Landmark E Street and Angelika Mosaic.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will always be 35mm in one way or another. Check out the article on QT refusing to make films on digital opting for 35mm. And don't forget classic library's. If your booth has room to keep the 35mm when you install digital keep it.

Bob

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also got asked by Paramount if we still have our 35mm but we are a single screen art/classics house and would only be given Intersteller second run when it's used up.
Even that would be cool!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did they ask? E-mail? Direct to the theater? I'm curious what Regal will do about this.

And how did they word it? Just asking if you had the equipment? Any explanation?

And WHEN did they ask!? It comes out in 8 weeks! That's not enough time!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2014 01:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless film theaters get a one week head start on release date there is no benefit to installing 35mm for this. I could see IMAX installing 15/70, but other than that paramount would have to provide a benefit to theaters that don't have a functioning 35mm setup an incentive to do so.

The funny part would be the "digital backup print" given the state of most of the remaining film gear I've seen laying around theaters.

If Nolan was going to get 5/70 prints made I would be all over this. Instead we have to wait for Tarantino to bring film back properly (and no 15/70 does not count).

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got asked if my drive in was going to still be open for this movie. Sorry it will be to cold. They are also asking if theaters about the ability to run 70mm

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if it will be the same in the UK, for those of us lucky enough to still have kept our machines. I run mine around once a month just to keep it ticking over

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got an email with no explanation for the question at all...other than for our records...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-12-2014 03:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What these narcissistic "film forever" celeb directors are really trying to bring back is the 1950s style roadshow, isn't it? Only this time they're showcasing old technology rather than new.

As Brad points out, even if the most mega-event movie with the biggest stars and special effects imaginable were released solely on 35mm (Titanic 2 - Going Straight to the Bottom!, maybe?), it would not make financial sense to install or rehabilitate a 35mm system, plus the staff training needed to run it, just for one or two ego trip films a year. So these pics will end up playing at the small number of diehard places that are keeping and maintaining their installations as cultural statements (e.g. Tarantino's, and, dare I say it, ours), and a hard core of fans who feel the need to brag about how they've seen it on proper film will form their customer base. The other 99.9% of the audience will see it on some digital medium or other, ranging from a decent 4K screen to their iWatch, several weeks later.

That was effectively what happened when the widescreen boom of the '50s was in full swing. Middle class, affluent movie buffs got dressed up in a tuxedo and gown and went to see the movie in one of a dozen or so premiere houses during long runs. Everyone else saw it in a neighborhood theater a few months after release, or on TV a year or two later.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-12-2014 04:35 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even Titanic II didn't make it to 35mm film [Razz] .

I doubt that 35mm will ever get a real mainstream revival. But why couldn't a larger, self respecting multiplex keep at least one 35/70mm installation running at one of their better houses for example? This should also suffice for a critical mass for service companies to keep maintaining those installs for the foreseeable future.

Personally I don't think 35mm really deserves a revival though, I'm entirely convinced we ditched it too soon, but there's no real way back... Let's focus on fixing the remaining issues with digital presentations and long-term archival.

There's just one film format that deserves a real revival in my opinion and that's 5/70. This format could still be viable as premium format for years to come, but it could benefit from better digital sound. Something that integrates with modern playback systems and doesn't solely rely on outdated, wonky DTS equipment.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently reinstalled 35mm in Warner Brothers preview theatre, London for this very purpose.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: