Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi IMS Networking

Author Topic: Doremi IMS Networking
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2014 08:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange problem. Maybe I'm missing something. I just installed 4 NEC NC900 projectors with the Doremi IMS boards. I have all 4 network switches linked together. If I plug a wired computer to any of the switches, I can access the Doremi web GUI on all 4 screens. I can also access the DCC on all 4 screens. When I connect to the wireless router which is hooked up to one of the network switches, I can't access any of the Doremi Web GUI's but I can still access the DCC on all 4 screens. Sounds like a simple overlook of something........

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-11-2014 11:56 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is DHCP enabled on the wireless router but the IMS boards have static IP addresses? Are they set to a different subnet mask than the router, and/or don't have the gateway IP (i.e. that of the wireless router) set correctly?

Sounds like a networking config setting in the wireless router that is causing the problem to me.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-12-2014 07:07 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wireless is a bit (a lot really) different from wired networking.
Disable any firewall on your computer first, if that fixes it you can set up firewall rules that allow the connection and keep the firewall running.
There are two ways to add wireless to a network: access point and router. An access point gives your wireless device an IP address in the local network. A router can have a different network for wireless (LAN) and link that network to the wired network (WAN - usually with a wireless router this would be to your internet modem).
If you're using an AP or a router with the cinema stuff on the LAN, ensure the DHCP range is clear of any static addressing.
Make sure the netmask and gateway settings are the same on all devices - including the wireless AP or router. Different OSes handle networking slightly differently and it's not too strange to connect to some devices and not others if you have one of these settings slightly "off".
With a router and with the cinema network in WAN, to access some things (CP750 for example) I had to forward ports in the wireless router. If you set your computer up as "DMZ" and it works, you can either leave it that way or figure out the required port forwarding or program specific permissions needed.
Usually using an AP you don't have these issues but some access points have quite advanced firewalls that need to be properly configured to get connected to everything.
Can you give any better details on what router/AP you have and how it's configured? If it's a router, is the cinema network on the LAN or WAN side?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay. Internet was down at the theater. Dave, I will get that info as soon as I can. I finished the install Friday. The theater is closed until the spring now. Everything else went fine. Each screen has its own laptop behind the projector. Each laptop is wired to the switch and all 4 switches are tied together. I can access the DCC and the Doremi for any screen from any screen while it's wired. As soon as I change to wireless, I can only access the DCC for any screen so I'm sure it's the router setting. It's a Netgear router. Cinema is on the LAN side. I have the router's IP close to that of the network. I think it's 192.168.10.50. Everything else on the network (projector, server, D/A converter, laptops) is 192.168.10.xx. Subnets are all the same. Router is not set for DHCP.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 08:06 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Router may have other blocking mechanisms for wireless clients active. Do you have full access to that router?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the laptops are Win7 you should disable the firewalls and should set the wireless networks to be "Work Network". Windows blocks some stuff if the network is set to "Work", and even more if it's "Public". If "Work" still fails try "Home Network", this is the most trusted. For XP you only have the firewall as I recall.
If everything is on LAN on the router, there shouldn't be any filtering between clients, it's really just a switch and wireless access point on that side. Filtering and firewalling is generally only applied in the NAT translation between WAN and LAN.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2014 11:32 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have full access to the router. I will try that next time I go out there Dave. Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know how it ends up.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greenport by any chance, Richard?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2014 02:08 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes sir. He actually switched over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: