Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NC900 network PowerOn from Doremi? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NC900 network PowerOn from Doremi?
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-29-2014 07:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I am currently playing around with a Doremi/NEC NC900C Combo (classic, HD-SDI).

A number of Macros configured on the Doremi allow me to power on/off Lamp, activate Dowser, etc. - but not to switch on the NC900C over the network from standby mode.

The Macro Editor doesn't offer that option for the projector, only Channel Switch, Dowser, Lamp, and a generic 'Macro' option are offered. Am I missing something?

I know I could possibly do this over GPO from Doremi to GPI an the NEC, but...

The NC900 is configured as 'NEC Series-2' in device manager.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-29-2014 08:26 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can be mistaken, but I've never seen a "Standby" action for any other projector, have you?

Maybe it can be hacked if you know the projector API and by editing a bunch of definition files on the server, but I'm pretty sure that won't survive a single software update. So I guess the only supported route would be GPO/GPI.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-30-2014 12:10 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco S series projectors will enter and return from standby ("sleep") via network commands. If you can find the NC900 command set it should be doable.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-30-2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you not enter your own commands? I can confirm that 02h 00h will take it out of standby and 02h 01h will put it into standby. I've found with NEC is is best to issue commands twice though...they don't always take on the first try...particularly the Power On/Off. NEC responds to commands if/when it feels like it and the NC900 is no exception. They definitely don't like to multi-task!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-30-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a try next time I'm near the machine. It's a second hand buy and a rushed install. Currently, staff has to step on a small ladder to power on the projector manually as it is sitting on an elevated platform in the booth. Just wondering why the device command set doesn't support this function directly. Probably because it is a generic series-II device command set and network PowerUp/Down is not a generic series-II function but projector specific.

I was just irritated because the control tab of the Doremi actually did have two buttons for PowerOn/Off configured, but the Macros behind the buttons were not populated. Maybe someone tried to implement it but didn't succeed.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-30-2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tested this on a NP-PA600X, I don't have a spare NEC DCI projector lying around that I can abuse. I suppose the instruction sets are the same for their DCI projectors?

TCP port number 7142.

Power On: 02H 00H 00H 00H 00H 02H
Power Off: 02H 01H 00H 00H 00H 03H

That's the whole string including the checksum at the end. They don't seem to use a "projector address", like Barco does, so no serial chaining of your projectors [Wink] .

It should also work via serial, but I didn't have the time to test that.

If you would do it right, you should actually get an ACK back and wait for it. [Wink]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-30-2014 03:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx again, I'll check it.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-30-2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it does require the whole checksum thing...I neglected to add that part in. The port is different though (and different between series 1 and series 2 projectors). The NC900C follows the series 2 (which it is) so it is TCP port 43728.

Note...the NC900C isn't as satisfying in standby mode as its larger kinfolk. In fact, you won't be able to tell the difference audibly...the fans stay running in standby (seemingly all of them). the ICP shuts off so you do get some stuff that turns off! Thus far, in all of our NC900C systems, we have the automation issue the Standby command...allow something like 2-minutes (whatever its cool down time is) and then kill power to the projector completely. Remember, it only draws something around 10amps at 120V or about half that in your country so one need not have a very sizable relay/control circuit to switch it. One can also UPS the entire projector with ease.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 08:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will not be used for powering down between shows - this location is actually only playing a few days per week. It's will just be used to power-on the projector before the evening show, and power it down afterwards from the Doremi control screen, without having to climb up a ladder to reach the power-on button on the key pad area.

The hard-power switch will always be left on, power is controlled from a wall breaker.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 01:29 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could benefit more from a remote power switch then? Make sure it handles the amperage, but the professional ones from companies like APC should do.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Even with a power switch, they would still need to climb up that ladder to power on the projector from standby, which is the mode the NEC enters after external power has been applied. NECs DCC allows to power on the projector from standby over the network, so it should be no big deal. Wondering why this is no default macro in the projector device config on the doremi, as it would be quite useful to have it as a generic option. Then if some machines don't support that power mode, who cares.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 03:55 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of this:

quote:
C900C isn't as satisfying in standby mode as its larger kinfolk.
And with a Remote Power Switch, you can kill the entire power to the projector, without climbing up a ladder...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 06:40 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This machine is not meant to be powered down by hard killing before it has been shut down properly via keypad (or network). And it won't power-up again just by applying external power. There is a wall breaker already than can do the job to cut power.
It doesn't make climbing up the ladder before and after the show unnecessary as staff still has to press the keypad to power it up and down.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 06:13 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, besides some emergency situations, you should obviously never "hard break" the power to any digital projector, it needs those fans to cool down properly. You still need to put it into standby the proper way.

I thought about it as a solution to switch it off entirely during the days it will not be used. It's unnecessary to let it idle in semi-standby with all the fans turning, which will only shorten their lifespan, will collect more dust and will negatively affect your electricity bill. If you have a breaker that can be used for this, that's obviously equally fine.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-01-2014 06:17 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it will of course be shut off during idle days through the wall breaker switch, just like all the other electronics there - but only after having been shutdown via the keypad or, hopefully, network.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: