Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » digital conversion gone bad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: digital conversion gone bad
Kyle Mitchell
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Kyle Mitchell   Email Kyle Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Streator Illinois, a two screen small town theatre owned by a film company employee in LA. The people running the theatre in partnership with him worked very hard and raised $130,000 for the conversion, with the building owner aware of the efforts. Once the public donated the huge amount and the new equipment was installed for transformers, the owner apparently became upset, supposedly because the 35mm projectors were moved.

His partners claim he made huge demands, resulting in a very public battle. Last night it seems the owner of the theatre locked out his partners and boarded the building up listing it for sale with the projectors.

The building is basically falling apart. I think he has it way over-priced and really doubt it will sell. The people of the community have been screwed in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/majestic.streator?fref=ts

http://www.mywebtimes.com/news/local/majestic-theater-listed-for-sale/article_1c6ad2ae-e6ba-5e14-8f7c-3636d7cb09a7.html

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always found this concept of begging laymen to pay for a digital conversion to be quite iffy...in fact IMHO, it borders on the unethically if not the illegal. These theatres are most often independents, art houses or non-commercial operations and the like, and they went begging for money from loyal patrons which as far as I can tell, turns out to be monies handed over as an unencumbered, outright gift, no strings attached other than the assumption that the digital equipement will go in an keep the beloved theatre in operation. This usually is surrounded my lots of media coverage and it's all packaged in this great cumbiah-we-are-all-one-big-family concept. I guess it now takes a village to run a movie theatre. In the end, though, it's just a bunch of people forking over lots of money and basically giving the exhibitor some very expensive equipment with not much more hope and a prayer that what they think will happen, i.e., digital will keep the theatre running, actually will.

But what it if doesn't? What if either by unforeseen circumstances as in this case, or by nefarious shenanigans the theatre shutters its doors anyway? What protects those poor schlubs who forked over $90,000? Is there ever any contractual, legal commitments made in these drives to the donors?

Me, I would want a hellofalot more that a "thank you" and an "I'll the best he can to keep the theatre running" from the exhibitor. I would want some legal guarantees that the recipient of this donation has obligations and contingency plans in place in case, for whatever reason, he CAN'T keep the theatre running. What happens to that digital equipment? Without legal restrictions, what's to prevent an unscrupulous owner from deciding to retire a month later and disappear, money in hand? Or even he legitimately arrive at this type of situation described here where the best laid plans are thwarted?

If this guy can't keep the theatre operating, is he going to sell the new digital equipment and return the money to the donors?

Nah, I would have to think long and hard before I'd make a donation for a digital conversion, even if I was a huge fan of the theatre. It's too easy for these things that start off with the best intentions to easily morph into a pyramid or a ponzi scheme. Can anyone say, Max Bialystock?!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 12:26 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the story, but I don't really get the relationship between the owner of the building and those who were running it.

Do they lease it from the owner? Or is there some kind of revenue sharing contract? Or is the whole issue that there is no such thing as a clearly formulated agreement at all?

Because, whenever my landlord would shut me out of a building I would rent from him, in violation of whatever contract is in place, I would get the police on his ass...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-26-2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not the theater operator is running his theater properly and honestly, it is in my humble opinion flat out stupid to have the general public donate the money to fund a d-cinema system purchase.

If a movie theater operator cannot afford to buy a digital projection system in the first place what is he going to do in another 7-10 years when that digital projector needs to be replaced? Ask for another public fund-raising drive?
[Roll Eyes]

Every business has operational costs it has to fold into a budget. D-cinema very obviously has raised the cost of doing business for movie theaters. Those who don't have enough of a profit margin to handle upgrading computer based equipment with a very limited life span are just going to be stuck going out of business.

Some of these fund-raising drive conversions from 35mm to digital may have bought a few extra years of life for some movie theaters. Unfortunately digital is not designed to last anywhere near as long as film. No one is going to get 20-30 years of service out of a d-cinema projector, like one could get with a film-based projector. Without some major changes in how they do business they'll be right back in the same dire situation just a few years later.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle Mitchell
I think he has it way over-priced and really doubt it will sell.
He wants $267,000 for the theatre.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2014 02:10 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Do they lease it from the owner? Or is there some kind of revenue sharing contract? Or is the whole issue that there is no such thing as a clearly formulated agreement at all?

Because, whenever my landlord would shut me out of a building I would rent from him, in violation of whatever contract is in place, I would get the police on his ass...

That was my thought as well. Wouldn't there be some kind of legally binding contract in place to protect the operators from an owner locking them out?

Let's hope for their sake that it wasn't an oral agreement with a handshake to seal the deal, because then they'll be lucky if they are able to get those projectors back, much less the business intact.

I, too, never cared for the idea of a for-profit business begging for funds. Whether it's a movie theater looking for a projector or a dance center asking for donations for a bake sale to fund their operations, it's not cool to expect or even ask people to donate to a for-profit business.

If you don't have what it takes to be for-profit, then become a non-profit and all the things that entails.

In regards to the Majestic in Streator, I'm confused as to whether it's actually open or not? They have showtimes on their site, we have them on our site, but their gofundme page shows that the theater is boarded up as of 11 hours ago:

http://www.gofundme.com/6e0h4w

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 03:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The relevant part of the article is this:

quote:
"It was about 24 hours from the time the news hit the press that my business partner and the owner of the building, Tim Burke, began screaming and yelling at me," she wrote on the "Majestic Streator" Facebook page Saturday. "He told me to get out of the building and take those (bad word) digital projectors with me."

In 16 hours, Troccoli's Facebook post had 81 comments, 91 likes and 258 shares, almost all of them in support of her.

Troccoli told The Times she made Burke aware she was raising money to go digital.

"He said, 'I did not think you would last this long. I have been waiting for you to quit, so I could shutter the place. I did not think you could raise the money.' ..." Troccoli said.

So if you can believe this person, the guy was just raking in whatever profits there were, or (if there were no profits) using it as a tax writeoff, figuring the theater would go out of business eventually and then he could sell the building for some other use, but they did TOO well and surprised him.

The idea that he "got mad" when they moved the 35mm projectors is just dumb, unless the guy has a collection of old movies he wants to run someday. Even then it's still kind of dumb.

I agree with all the sentiments that it's not good business to ask for donations to fund a conversion. I sincerely hope that by the time we're ready to upgrade again, prices will have gone down somewhat. Not holding my breath on that one, but companies like Barco, Christie, NEC, Dolby, GDC etc etc are going to want to keep selling equipment so maybe they'll come up with some kind of creative solutions for upgrades.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 03:32 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
unless the guy has a collection of old movies
Well he does Mike.
The projector that was moved was a Norelco AAII. The theatre was well equipped for film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well in that case they should have consulted with him before digitizing. WOuld be nice to have his side of the story -- too bad he wasn't available for comment for the article.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 05:52 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's totally unclear to me if they just moved or REmoved his (?) DP70/Norelco AA11. If you'll be primarily playing digital content, it makes perfect sense to give that projector your prime position inside the booth.

Then again, nothing else in this story seems to make sense...

quote:
In regards to the Majestic in Streator, I'm confused as to whether it's actually open or not? They have showtimes on their site, we have them on our site, but their gofundme page shows that the theater is boarded up as of 11 hours ago:
So, that would be the second fundraiser for this theater in just a few months...

quote: Scott Jentsch
I, too, never cared for the idea of a for-profit business begging for funds.
I also don't understand the idea of DONATING to a for-profit business. If you raise funds, you should at least give shares in your business in return. I would never donate money to a for-profit business without actually investing in it, yet it seems there are sufficient people that are willing to do so... Maybe we're all in the wrong business [Wink]

I agree with all the sentiments that it's not good business to ask for donations to fund a conversion. I sincerely hope that by the time we're ready to upgrade again, prices will have gone down somewhat. Not holding my breath on that one, but companies like Barco, Christie, NEC, Dolby, GDC etc etc are going to want to keep selling equipment so maybe they'll come up with some kind of creative solutions for upgrades.
I'm afraid you can kiss the hope for selective upgrades on stuff like projectors goodbye. While there are a few models that can, for example, be upgraded from 2K to 4K, those prices are so outrageous, you're better off buying a new projector. The same goes for stuff like servers. This is just basic PC server hardware, which get old very fast. The upgrade path generally is: Buy a new one. Of course, with a little bit of planning and insight in the technology at hand, you can still spread out investments.

On the bright side although, prices have come down already and like with almost all tech products, I'm pretty sure they will continue to do so. Especially if you don't need the absolute bleeding edge in current technology.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
So, that would be the second fundraiser for this theater in just a few months...
Most likely for the legal fees, since there is a lock out.

WOuld be nice to have his side of the story -- too bad he wasn't available for comment for the article.
I would like to get his story too. I known him for over 22 years and worked with him for about 8 of them. He is a film person and does not like people messing with his booth set-ups without him being present.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why shouldn't people decide freely wether to donate money to any matter they want, be it profit, non-profit or anything in-between?

Strange to believe that in this case they raised the money with the owner not being aware of it or keeping his feet still until the final goal was reached.

- Carsten

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
Most likely for the legal fees, since there is a lock out.
According to the actual fundraiser (which was also already mentioned by Scott a few posts earlier), it's the full $267k for the theater.

This page also contains a bit more "background information", from the perspective of the current, or rather former operators.

quote: Carsten Kurz
Why shouldn't people decide freely wether to donate money to any matter they want, be it profit, non-profit or anything in-between?
Nobody is claiming that they shouldn't be able to do so or am I missing something?*
Personally, I think it's awkward to donate to a for-profit business. But unless we enact a global law against stupidity, people are still free to sink their money in almost any hole of their pleasing [Wink] .

* It seems I was totally missing Frank's post. Although he's only claiming that it borders on the illegal [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 06:26 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
Strange to believe that in this case they raised the money with the owner not being aware of it
According to the other website and person's story. He knew about it but did not think they could reach it. They had a person that gave a lot of money for the cause and they hit their goal.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 06:29 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
According to the other website and person's story. He knew about it but did not think they could reach it. They had a person that gave a lot of money for the cause.
Yeah, I've read that too. But that still sounds a little bit backward to me. If it's true, it doesn't really make him look good, does it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: