Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The Dolby application, “Jupiter Client” (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Dolby application, “Jupiter Client”
Hakan Bicer
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Hakan Bicer   Email Hakan Bicer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how can I use basic TMS for dolby dss 220 servers for 8 screen

only show manager

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should contact Dolby directly for that. They will send you Jupiter Client and the set up procedure. You can display all 8 screens at once on your computer screen with Jupiter. VNC really only does one at a time.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2014 04:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's "free" TMS network only works for 3-screens or less. Once you go above that, you need a DSL100 (out of production) or DSL200 (current production) to show all of the theatres.

The Jupiter Client is just that... a client to the TMS system in use.

Note, too, that the Jupiter Client must be of the same version as the TMS system for it to work (you'll get a version mismatch error otherwise).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-21-2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
out of curiosity, what happens if you try and setup more than 3 screens? Will the TMS refuse to work or will it just become slow and unreliable?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 05:53 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Jupiter client with no problems on 4 screens, but as Steve says, that is not the official recommendation.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-21-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember using Jupiter on more then two screens myself. Then he may as well use VNC viewer. You can have multiple windows of that open and size them to line up on your monitor screen. Eight is certainly pushing it though unless you have a really large monitor.

Mark

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 08:03 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"out of curiosity, what happens if you try and setup more than 3 screens? Will the TMS refuse to work or will it just become slow and unreliable?"

From experience with the DSS100 built in TMS, up to 3 servers works perfectly, 4 will be fine 90% of the time, but 5 or more causes the control interfaces to become unstable and crash over and over. The interface will restart, connect to the host TMS, then more often than not, restart repeatedly and/or cause any or all of the other servers to restart as well.

Forcing the non-TMS servers to boot locally can stabilize the system somewhat, but not reliably.

When this happens, you are forced to either use your scheduled shows or manually select and play from the DSP100. Obviously, you then also lose the convenience of seeing the status and remaining time of the shows in one convenient place.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will, unofficially, state, that I have run 4-screens with a DSS200 acting as the TMS without incident. Officially, Dolby still maintains that they only support 3 screens.

Whereas this question pertained to an 8-screener...it isn't a close call...if you want the Dolby TMS/Jupiter Client, a show library will be in order.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2014 06:05 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have also tried running 4 screens in TMS, like Steve.
Only after a week or so it became laggy, sometimes one screen or another would "hang" (no control of the cursor, keybord not responding, all data on monitor is frozen), display incorrect information (like missing clips, schedule events, playlists - but those missing things exist and you can see them when connected to local server ).
Restarting TMS, all servers, or even un-configuring them would fix all issues just for a while.
Anyway, as the playback is DSS top priority, there was no harm on that. No shows was lost or interrupted. So I guess it can be called pretty smooth operation [Smile]

Also, we have an 11 and 8 screen cinemas, with DSL100s taking control of each cinemas DSS screen servers. I can confirm what Brian DeCiancio said. It is only stabile up to 5 screens.
Cant say anything on DSL200. Haven't tried this baby yet [Smile] Maybe it is has more processing power and is more stabile with multiple auditoriums?

Regards,
Nerijus

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2014 06:51 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I'm dont get it
quote: Nerijus Marmokas

Also, we have an 11 and 8 screen cinemas, with DSL100s taking control of each cinemas DSS screen servers. I can confirm what Brian DeCiancio said. It is only stabile up to 5 screens

We run quit bigger theaters without glitches on this software. With a DSL100 it should run up to 20 screens.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-23-2014 01:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asking what happens if you run more than 4 screens WITHOUT the DSL. Obviously the Dolby TMS works great with the DSL.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry wrongly read the previous reply.

Nerijus Marmokas
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2014 02:36 AM      Profile for Nerijus Marmokas   Email Nerijus Marmokas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's embarasing...
I missed that it was DSS100, NOT DSL100 that Brian was talking about.
SORRY..
But indeed we have problems with those two DSL's for unknown reasons.

Martin Murray
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Martin Murray   Email Martin Murray   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm we have been running 6 screens for two years with no DSL and no problems. maybe it's the big gigabyte switch that we go through? We have a mix of DSS100's and DSS200's

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-26-2014 04:16 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

are your screen in TMS mode? Can you select any screen from any server via the drop-down list?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: